Jammaman and the RAGBRAI

Bike
2005 Concours
I got a call, last evening, from Doug...aka The Jammaman. He and his "Sister Sue" were on their way home from riding this years RAGBRAI. For those who aren't acquainted with this event, it is a huge bicycle event where you pedal a bicycle across the state of Iowa. Apparently it draws about 20,000 riders each year.

Anyway, they rode all but the last day of the event. He said that they learned a lot, drank lots of free beer, and had no major accidents, which in Dougs case is a good thing.

He is doing very well, especially considering all his problems. He has LOST a lot of weight. He is currently down to about 175 lbs. Which, if you know Doug, that is AMAZING.

Anyway, he said he is thinking about making it to an event yet this year. Nothing for sure yet. He will be moving to the Huntsville, Alabama area for the winter months.

That's about all I can say at this time. It is always the highlight of my day, whenever we get to chat. I am constantly amazed at what he has overcome and achieved, since he has left the ST group. I am proud to be able to call him my friend.

That's the latest. If you're on Facebook, you can catch up to him there.

John/Sourkraut

OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Good morning to all. Yesterday am, I got a call from Doug. He's back in the hospital....AGAIN. It seems that he has another problem to deal with. It just keeps on giving for him.

Anyway, just before he started his RAGBRAI ride, he had noticed he was getting a very uncomfortable and very irritating rash, on his foot. That rash turned into a very bad deal. The bottom of his foot started cracking open and bleeding. Not to mention extremely sore & painful. He continued riding until it got to the point where he could barely walk, let alone pedal his steed. So, rather than try to ride the last day, they headed for home. There's more to his problem, but seems to be the most important part of it. ????

That was Saturday. By Monday he was in the hospital. The long & short of it is....since he had his stomach surgery, about 14 years ago, he has not been able to store any vitamin B12, and that, according to his Dr's, is what has caused it all. This morning he has been getting massive doses of B12, via IV. He is scheduled to be released tomorrow, Sunday.

So, He now has another issue to deal with. As usual...."ALL IS GOOD". His standard closing remark. I'm not so sure I agree with that, but according to Doug, even with all his problems, he still is better off than a lot of other people. And, for that he is EXTREMELY grateful, and realizes it.

That's all folks!.....as if that wasn't enough!!!!!

John/Sourkraut

Top Bottom