Stange Sound On Starup

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2007 ST1300 ABS 98,000 miles full tank of fuel

Bike was ridden this past Friday. Backed it out of the garage today and then later started it up to move it back inside.

Turned on on the key, there was a very strange whirring sound which seemed to be coming from the front of bike (like in front of the gas tank). It was intermittent say 3 or 4 times and then stopped. Push the starter button, bike started seemed to run normally.

Turned bike off, then turned bike on, no sound but the fuel gauge was flashing on and off (never seen that before or read about it). Started bike, ran normally.

Turned bike off, let sit for a minute, turned back on, everything was normal.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
2007 ST1300 ABS 98,000 miles full tank of fuel

Bike was ridden this past Friday. Backed it out of the garage today and then later started it up to move it back inside.

Turned on on the key, there was a very strange whirring sound which seemed to be coming from the front of bike (like in front of the gas tank). It was intermittent say 3 or 4 times and then stopped. Push the starter button, bike started seemed to run normally.

Turned bike off, then turned bike on, no sound but the fuel gauge was flashing on and off (never seen that before or read about it). Started bike, ran normally.

Turned bike off, let sit for a minute, turned back on, everything was normal.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks.
I think it is likely the headlight adjuster motor "hunting" upon power up. I'm not sure it is a fix but when I have heard it I manipulate the dash mounted adjuster knob in an attempt to clean the switch innards. Mine was replaced under warranty about 10 years ago. When it acts up since I've managed to stop or reduce the amount of hunting. This hunting action is easily seen if you start the bike in a darkened garage - the light pattern well move up and down a few seconds.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
dduelin,

I have forgotten all about the headlight adjuster. I never use since I only ride one up right now. And that makes sense. I will go out and wiggle the knob/switch

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If the fuel gauge is flashing, it means you've lost connection to one or both of the sensors in the fuel tanks. Given that those two things happened at the same time, you could have a ground going south.

--Mark

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
If the fuel gauge is flashing, it means you've lost connection to one or both of the sensors in the fuel tanks. Given that those two things happened at the same time, you could have a ground going south.

--Mark
Sounds rational, got any suggestions one where one might look for a loose ground. Since the bike starts and the rest of the stuff works it would seem a "connector" is the likely choice. But which one ?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
How many bars are showing on your dash? You may just be low enough to cause it to start flashing :rolleyes:
You may want to check the ground(s) to the frame, which are located near the left rear corner of the tank. You can get to it by simply removing the seat bracket mount (4) bolts, plus (1) which holds the rear master cylinder.
These mounts sometimes get white corrosion on them and can cause issues. I'd start there.
Also check all the fuses before tearing stuff apart.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
the tank was full so the fuel gauge was flashing with all the segment illuminated. I will check the grounds as suggested

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The yellow ground bus above the RH headlight and the white 24 pin connector on the left side above the cylinder head are often implicated in wonky ground threads.

Top Bottom