ST1100 Aux Lighting Brackets

Bike
92 ST1100
I am looking to add some additional lighting to my newly purchased ST11.

I have seen many setups in my searching, but the threads are all quite old and the links are invalid.

I have found the P model brackets available on eBay/dealers, but I would rather have something under the mirror.

Does anyone have a source for under mirror brackets for the ST1100?

STOC #
OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Thanks guys, the Ron Major / Dick Seng mounts are exactly what I am looking for.
I'm wanting to add more light to see with, and in turn, be seen. I've got my eye on various lights, I just need a way to mount them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm wanting to add more light to see with, and in turn, be seen.
First I think a proper set of under mirror lights that let you see well will also let you be seen. The opposite usually isn't true.

That said I like a fair amount of lights and if you want separate visibility and conspicuity sets there's nothing wrong with that.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
My thinking was, for being seen, going to clear indicator lenses utilizing fire fly switchback LED's with an LED specific flasher might be preferred over projection beams.

The clear lenses scatter the light more directions than a projection beam. But, they don't add additional long range light because of the diffusion.

Maybe both?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe both?
That's my plan. I like the clear lenses with switchback LEDs on my bike but I really don't count on them much for being seen. They're short range at best with the headlights doing more for being seen. They do add to the equation but for me they're more about aesthetics.

I don't wants light mounted on the fork legs but would like some mounted low. The idea would be to make a larger plane of light to help establish my position and speed at a distance. Maybe something on the TO bars. Something that catches the eyes while not blinding them and keeps my approaching outline from being lost in a sea of lights from behind me.

Then a set of under mirror driving lights to see down the road. Maybe tow them out slightly to give some coverage to the sides down the road.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
...switchback LEDs on my bike but I really don't count on them much for being seen. They're short range at best with the headlights doing more for being seen.
I would respectfully disagree. Looking at any light there is a projection and a reflective capacity. The projection will be the pattern that illuminates over and above ambient condition making a more visible surface. The reflective range is a much larger area that the light reaches. The pattern in projection beams narrows the focus of the light and throws is down to the road. The pattern in the marker lights refract the light into obtuse angles and spreads it over a much greater angle.

The marker lenses don't have a focused pattern and make them ideal for being seen because the light is spread over a wider area. Although it doesn't reach out as far as a projection beam, it isn't focused down on the road. The small amount of light in the areas of the focused beam where the light isn't focused seems to be less than the fireflys and marker lens diffusion.
I hope I'm making sense here....

Think of off-road lights. The long reaching lights have no flutes on the glass and reach the longest, but are narrow field. However, if you are using a fluted lens you would see the light over a wider area in front of you, encompassing more people that need to see you.

I guess I'm differentiating between the brightness you want to see with and the brightness you need to be seen with. You don't want to blind oncoming traffic with projector beams because it isn't needed.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is also little talk of the light spectrum of the LED lights. In a nutshell, color spectrum of light create different affects on the body. Most of the LED lights are transmitting at a fairly bright or white light in the spectrum above 4000 or 5000 while a normal incandescent bulb we define as warm white will be in the 2500 to 3500 range.

Your eyes will dialate and close down more using the brigher light spectrum because the light is whiter in its illumination pattern. However, this make you much less able to see outside that pattern. Or, as a cager coming at you, his eyes will start to close down because of the whiteness (not the brightness) and after you pass he is temporarily blinded until his eyes adjust again. It is why many municipalities are changing from the white bulbs back to the yellow'ish color spectrum.

Not sure if there are any options for lower spectrum LED's though...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You don't want to blind oncoming traffic with projector beams because it isn't needed.
This is why lights good lights have proper lenses and reflectors— to place the light were it does good. Depending on lights used and their purpose— switches and discretion are part of the equation.

While I agree with the definition/science of the respective lenses the light output makes a difference. Looking down the road at oncoming traffic the marker lenses don't contribute much to the light profile until the bike is close. Until then the profile is a single point of light. Increasing the distance at which the profile is recognized as multiple points of light would be my goal. It would not be left to the marker or similar type lights to do that. A better choice would be lights with a wide flat beam such as 'fog' lights.

Also as previously mentioned separating my bike's profile from that of surrounding traffic shouldn't take a lot of light just well positioned light. Or lights to be more specific. I'm a strong proponent of not blinding traffic.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It is why many municipalities are changing from the white bulbs back to the yellow'ish color spectrum.
Do you have a reference for that? I think it's beyond any single municipality to change state law. Most states do have laws regarding vehicle lights that are dazzling. It's an over simplification to state that because light is whiter it's therefore blinding.

With great power comes greater responsibility. Lighting is no different. There is marketing to a certain demographic that more light is better. So there was the conversion of car headlights from incandescents to halogens to HIDs. Most of these conversions were poorly done and rightfully illegal. Because they put light more light but not where it was needed.

Incandescent headlights were probably around 2500-2700K. I think that's far too warm for a headlight. Halogens are pretty much the current standard and are around 3000K and arguably a big improvement over incandescent headlights but it took some time for their acceptance. HIDs are still standard in some high end cars.

I'm all for municipalities citing drivers for blinding lights. But not just because the color temperature is cooler than what we had in the past. But not for municipalities changing state law on their own.

I want color temperature should be defined as a legal standard. 6500K seems most common for headlights but some bulbs go much higher (cooler) in color temperature and I believe generate light in a less usable portion of the spectrum. Even at 6500K the white light actually has a blue component. 5000-5500K is generally considered the color of daylight. I'd like to see that as an upper limit.

There have been several mentions here about very bright light of a rider's bike being detrimental to their own night vision as well as others.

Eyes are more sensitive to the middle portions of the visible light spectrum than the ends. But white light isn't bad. Too much white light is bad. And that can be said for any ºK light.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are numerous references at the International Dark Sky Association website:
http://www.darksky.org/

The two cities I have read about were in AZ. The council decided to change out from old style lights to better efficiency and went for the whiter blue light spectrum in the 5500k plus. There were numerous complaints from residents. Studies have been done with animals and how the higher spectrum light affects their circadian rhythm and human trials may or may not be indicated. The glare is the main complaint and the rest of the evidence started falling in to place once studies were ordered with how the spectrum affects human eye dilation and etc.

Anyway, the evidence was enough that both city councils abandoned the brighter spectrum while still going to the higher efficiency lighting. Since slightly less power is used for the lower spectrum the initial cost expenditure was amortized over the life of the bulb with little to no affect on the city budget.

Much of the IDSA deals with astronomy preservation, but the light spectrum and commercial use of LED should be concerning to all of us.

I have all LED in my house, all under 3000k, and I haven't met anyone that could tell me they weren't incandescent. So, although I have the higher kelvin lights on my ST, it isn't my normal preference and if some lower kelvin bulbs become available, I will probably trade them out.

However, interesting point number 5,982 (or so), I have been told that the blue white bulbs of the clear lens makes the yellow bulbs of the stock light look wrong. One is either too white or the other is too yellow. I kind of liked that. If I look different, or if I look weird, or if someone is going to take the time to comment on it, I have to figure that it worked and they noticed. I might just leave it instead of upgrading the headlights as well.

Although, I don't know if my OCD will allow me to... ST Gui's looks so dang good all converted over!!!

Top Bottom