ST1300 de-smog steps?

I'm looking for some step by step instructions on removing the charcoal canister and associated hoses from my bike.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a video or a step by step with pictures?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't think this is a good idea. I will leave it at that and let someone else chime in with reasons why. Maybe Mark will offer one or more reasons?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Why would you want to do this? The charcoal cannister simply absorbs evaporated fuel vapor instead of venting to the atmosphere. Removing it will not increase efficiency, make the bike go faster, reduce back pressure, result in smoother running, or do anything that we do to bikes to increase power and/or noise.

On second thought, removing it WILL make the bike lighter, and easier to get back upright after a tip over.

So, why do you want to remove it?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you take it off, don't throw it away, as it costs a little over $400 dollars for the canister and the solenoid assembly. And the way the Feds are tightening up the regulations, you may have to put it back on.
As stated, won't help the bike run any better without it. The only reason I would guess that it should be replaced is if it were flooded with fuel and damaged?

thekaz

haz gone feral
if your talking desmog as in removing the emissions then the canister is barely part of that. It only captures fuel vapors during fuel expansion then returns the fuel to the intakes instead of the atmosphere. The bike would constantly smell like fuel. Kool if your fueled with MR12 or C10 but stinky when filled with modern unleaded :( The ST1300 does have cats and an "air" system that can be removed. There are many threads regarding this so I will save my poor typing skills for something else LOL

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Maybe Mark will offer one or more reasons?
'Cause you just know I'm gonna chime in on this one... :D

To expand a bit on what SMSW and Larry said, your bike has exactly two physical emission control systems other than the catalysts in the exhausts:

One is the passive air (PAIR) injection system, which takes fresh, filtered air from the air box and vents it into the exhaust stream. This forces any hot, unburned fuel to combust on its way out of the engine. The PAIR valves only open when you close the throttle, but because the ST is already has roll-off performance on par with the Ducati 1098, BMW K1200S and Yamaha R1, improving on it would be tough. All of this happens outside the engine so, again, there's nothing to be gained by disabling it. The real reason you don't want to shut that system off is where that gas will go if left to its own devices. The next place hot enough to make it burn is the catalytic converters, the innards of which have a melting point that's lower than you'd think. Keep burning gas in there and it will get hot enough inside to start melting. Melted converter parts mean less air flow, and as Eddie Murphy demonstrated in Beverly Hills Cop, engines don't like that.

The other is the evaporative emission control system, which is what you have designs on removing. That's another outside-the-engine system that gathers up gasoline fumes that would otherwise have escaped into the air. What SMSW didn't mention is that when the bike thinks it's the right time, that little solenoid at the top of the canister opens up and those vapors get sucked into the intake to be burned by the engine and make things go. It's like getting free gas, and who doesn't want free gas?

Getting rid of hoses and capping off fittings is what you'd have done in 1977 when Detroit couldn't find its butt with two hands and a flashlight and started putting all kinds of poorly-conceived, vacuum-driven stuff on the intake and exhaust systems to keep emissions down. The ST's not a product of the bad old days.

There is one emission control device on your bike that you could disable, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to like how it performs afterward.

--Mark

Top Bottom