Flange bearings

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
6905RS bearing are toast. Was removing wheels for tires and notice half of the balls missing. Is there any advantage to getting the 6905-2RS bearings that are sealed on both sides? The other bearings seem fine at 49,000 miles. The spline looks good also. Where can I buy these bearing today in East King County Washington? I will try some dealerships, but who else sells quality bearings at retail? Thinks in advance.

Attachments

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
6905RS bearing are toast. Was removing wheels for tires and notice half of the balls missing. Is there any advantage to getting the 6905-2RS bearings that are sealed on both sides? The other bearings seem fine at 49,000 miles. The spline looks good also. Where can I buy these bearing today in East King County Washington? I will try some dealerships, but who else sells quality bearings at retail? Thinks in advance.
Please tell me that you cleaned your splines off before taking this picture? Moly Paste?
Be sure you remove the C-Clip and pull the hub out (spline assembly) and replace the small dia. O-ring that the assembly fits over, or you'll risk damage to your wheel.
I would also search around for signs (damage) of the missing bearings and dust cover.

OP
OP
STBernard

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, I cleaned off the grease and moly paste to look for any damage. The big c-clip came off and the Cush drive and regular wheel bearings seem in ecpxcellent condition. I found a pair of double , rubber sealed bearings this morning. They are in the freezer and the small hub is in the sun as I type. I believe I insert the bearings from the spline side and collar from the Cush drive side.
I have not looked into the drive side of the swing arm yet. What would you do? Would you clean it? If so, how and with what? Then just moly paste on both mating pieces? I will put grease on bearing seats and axle. Any other reassembly tips?

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Please tell me that you cleaned your splines off before taking this picture? Moly Paste?
Be sure you remove the C-Clip and pull the hub out (spline assembly) and replace the small dia. O-ring that the assembly fits over, or you'll risk damage to your wheel.
I would also search around for signs (damage) of the missing bearings and dust cover.
Which O-ring is this? Is this #23?

Attachments

OP
OP
STBernard

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
23 goes on, behind the spline. 22 gets stretched a bit on the hub housing over the Cush drive.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Clean both surfaces of the driven spline (male) and final drive side (female). I use Q tips and bits of paper towel. There may be some used paste slung out onto the inner face of the final drive. Clean as needed. Apply moly paste/grease lightly to mating surfaces of the driven spline. Lightly is just 5 grams or .20 oz. I'll wipe a touch of it on the outside of the grooves on the female side of the final drive so the male spline pushes it on across the female side but not so much it globs up on the far side. It doesn't take much, an even coating.

I use a small utility brush to apply the paste down in the spline grooves then I lightly wipe the axle with regular wheel bearing grease.

Last edited:
Top Bottom