Bar end weight falls out

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
My left bar-end weight fell off recently. I thought, easy enough, I will put it back in and tighten the fastener and be done with it. Well, not so, said gravity. I had to tape it on. Looks kinda hokey. Not sure if it matters, but I have the heated grips...

It seems like it should go in farther, but it's all the way and will not tighten (expand?). Any ideas? Would a new one make any difference? Should I wrap the business end with something that may provide more purchase?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Pull it all the way out and show us a picture, it should grab enough on it's own and it also matches up with part of the bar end a certain way so it won't turn.

This is what the throttle side inner bar looks like:

You might have a broken clip:

I had that before and had to replace w/new one:

OP
OP
STBernard

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I will do that. It is not the throttle side. And it was very short, maybe 3 or 4 inches long including the weight. I did not recall any clip but will get some pix tomorrow.

Bike
05 ST 1300 A
STOC #
Bar end weight removal ?
Can't get them off to install Symtecs..

Any suggestions ? The left weight also is out 3/8" from the grip..It turns 1/4 rotation but won't pull out and the stud does not see, to release whatever is inside the bar.

07 ST-1300

Bike
2010 ST1300
Assuming Joe fixed his broken bar end hardware some time ago, how did he have the foresight to take pics of the individual parts? I thought Larry (Igofar) was the compulsive one....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Assuming Joe fixed his broken bar end hardware some time ago, how did he have the foresight to take pics of the individual parts? I thought Larry (Igofar) was the compulsive one....
LOL... I can't compete with Larry's attention to detail.. but I was always taking pictures for the site whenever I did anything to the bike so glad it has been useful.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
In my experience a tip over, with handle bar end contact, breaks the inner weight right where it necks down behind the retaining clip. I had to use a screw driver to pry the clip out along with the outer rubber bit, then use a long bolt with the correct thread to extract the main part of the weight from the bar.

Bike
2010 ST1300
In my experience a tip over, with handle bar end contact, breaks the inner weight right where it necks down behind the retaining clip. I had to use a screw driver to pry the clip out along with the outer rubber bit, then use a long bolt with the correct thread to extract the main part of the weight from the bar.
Well, I bow to your expertise and yield the title of 'Most Experience with Tip-overs'. Luckily, I've not had breakage to anything besides scraping the tip over guards and Bygdawg's T-O guards. Perhaps I've not had handlebar contact? I'm usually so embarrassed that I just want to get the bike upright ASAP.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Well, I bow to your expertise and yield the title of 'Most Experience with Tip-overs'. Luckily, I've not had breakage to anything besides scraping the tip over guards and Bygdawg's T-O guards. Perhaps I've not had handlebar contact? I'm usually so embarrassed that I just want to get the bike upright ASAP.
I learned all this when I was knocked off my ST back in 2013 by a blind Porsche driver. The left one broke hitting the ground, but the car hit me from the right, so I figure that's what caused that one to break.

Top Bottom