Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: High dollar helmets worth it?

Bike
    05 ST1300 abs
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: High dollar helmets worth it?

[]My plan with every helmet is to look for comfortable, light-weight helmet with high SHARP ratings. ]

I have been wearing Arai's the past 10+ years. Currently I have an RXQ which fits me very well.

Comfort & weight are VERY important to me. I found the Arai exterior shape is very aerodynamic & puts less dynamic stress on my neck than other brands. A heavy helmet fatigues me out & lessens my concentration.

I prefer a one piece helmet for safety reasons. I experienced one hi speed & one low speed fall directly on my face riding my dirt bikes.

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST Gui View Post
    I too would like to see some actual relevant documentation. It seemed to have started from here:

I assumed the linked article addressed the last comment but didn't see any reference. There are mentions that helmet attachments are illegal in WA and GA but no supporting links. Then someone makes a leap and states flatly 'they're illegal'. So far this looks to me to be a bad game of 'Telephone' where there's some factoid heavily surrounded byŚ conjecture? BS?

There was posted a federal reference to a helmet's design limitations/parameters/restrictions which to me reads as required standards for manufacturers.

The fact that there are probably millions of cameras and comm units mounted to helmets roaming America's streets and highways makes me wonder about the accuracy of a blanket statement 'they're illegal'. I've never seen a manufacturer's admonition 'For Off Road Use Only' regarding cameras and comm units.

I'm guilty of participating as I repeated the mention that WA and GA view helmet attachments as illegal. So now I'd really like to see some documentation specifically declaring these attachments to be illegal and not merely a lay person's opinion. Much more clarification is in order.
    I finally Googled this subject and found an article in The News Tribune (a Tacoma, WA newspaper). It's dated January 29, 2017: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/traffic/article129460384.html
    It's a yes, no sort-of situation.

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Soontobeone
    It's a yes, no sort-of situation.
    Agreed. And it's that exactly that ambiguity that needs to be addressed and eliminated before just declaring 'illegal'.

How do stick-on 'mohawks' rate mention in the WA memo?

So for now I'll wear my Sena/GoPro/GPS HUD and stay out of WA and GA.

I will say I'm not a fan of a GoPro on my helmet because they just seem too bulky and awkward. After watching a million YT videos I prefer cameras mounted on the bike. Two on the front toed-out with over lapping coverage and one aft. That's a whole 'nother thread. Oh! Oh! A bike-mounted helmet-guided camera! And a body cam just for good measure.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Back to the question at hand.

Is the more expensive helmet worth the difference?

In terms of protection no. If you sustain a crash that breaks a any snell approved helmet (Snell can be had for 150$ ?) its not gonna matter. That kind of force will be enough to be fatal. So your 700 dollar helmet might survive the crash in one piece, but not the rest of you.

Where the Shoei and Arai separate themselves is the comfort and convenience factor. They are far more quiet, with plush interiors, with different size cheek pads to fine tune the fit.

They are more aerodynamic, and slicker in the wind which = less fatigue and noise to deal with. I find the modular style too heavy, and more noisy then the all one piece full face. Some will give up those things for the modular experience, all in just what you like.

The attention to detail of a Shoei is noticeable. So I spend the money to look good, and to have the most quiet available. But that's just me.
    Last edited by BamaRider; 08-11-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Guy
    www.bamarider.com

x4

2004 ST 1300 ABS Blue-the really fast ones
    2005 BMW R1200 RT Red
    2001 ST 1100 Sold after 97,000 miles

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRider View Post
    So I spend the money to look good, and to have the most quiet available. But that's just me.
    Ah, you can't hide the money ....

97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +114,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +75,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I spend a little extra for an Arai for no others fit my ovalian cranium.
    Fit and comfort is excellent.

My Gallery

High dollar helmets worth it?

Got a Shoei Neotec. Fits better than Schubert and others. And with 35-40.000 km a year i go for comfort and minimal risk.
    Helmet is nearly 5 years old and really looks worn. As well inside as outdide. Will replace it by same type before winter (pinlock is now removed because of scratches. Replaced the pinlock once).
    Last edited by Portupan; 08-12-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Bike
    2001 Honda ST1100
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

What I'm really pulling away from this subject is that we've been asking the wrong questions for a long time. It isn't how much you paid, it isn't how well it tested, it is more of a fitment issue. Once fitment is determined, most tend to stay in the same helmet camp and get the best they offer. Fortunately, most of the companies best are more than adequate, with high end using better materials, fit, and finish.

Since I'm a modular guy, I'm still very pleased to see chin bar open percentages in SHARP and very much appreciate the link. I had not been there before.
    I get in trouble the minute I think I know what I'm doing.

Bike
    2011 BMW R1200GS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_I View Post
    What I'm really pulling away from this subject is that we've been asking the wrong questions for a long time. It isn't how much you paid, it isn't how well it tested, it is more of a fitment issue.
    +1 on fit being the main criteria for any properly rated helmet. Several years at the IMS show in Ft. Worth I visited with the Arai rep. He educated me on how proper fit affects several variables. That has been my approach to buying a helmet ever since. When I started riding again about 15 years ago I bought a Shoei. Come to find out that helmet was not the proper size for me. After visiting with the Arai rep a lot of things he discussed were issues I had with my Shoei at the time because it wasn't the right size for me. He fitted me for an Arai and since I was due for a new helmet anyway I bought one. I typically buy a new helmet at the bike show because they are discounted and thats part of the reason I attended the show. They Arai was a good helmet but has since been replaced by another Shoei purchased at the IMS show in Dallas (Neotec at a discounted price) a couple of years ago. The Shoei just fits me the best which results in a quiter, more comfortable helmet. I guess buying a helmet is like buying a bike. You just have to go with what fits you the best.

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by rogo View Post
    I spend a little extra for an Arai for no others fit my ovalian cranium.
    Fit and comfort is excellent.
    I wish it weren't so, but it is for me, too.

+ New Posts
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910