Helmets High dollar helmets worth it?

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have always bought helmets on the cheaper side...they seem ok...but I guess I am to the point in life that I could afford a higher quality helmet....are the 200-400 dollar helmets that much better than a 150 or less ones???...thinking about a modular helmet...what do you think....thanks

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I just bought a HJC SYMAX III (Modular). I am a HJC kinda guy, have had many of them including the one that saved my head when I was hit from behind, and I really like this one. I found a High Viz one and really stands out. Think I paid around $275 for it.

Attachments

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
They are worth it, if you are willing to pay it. (Kinda the definition of "worth", isn't it?)

They aren't necessarily safer (in a US DOT crash test, the highest score for safety went to a modestly-priced lid) but they offer more features such as anti-fog pin-lock, blue-tooth-ready, quietness, easy-off-easy-on, comfort, etc.

The price/value equation for one person will be different from another person.

For me the list looks like this:

MUST-HAVES
* ratchet-type strap release,
* modular design,
* high-vis color as the primary color
* fit must be "acceptable"

DISCRIMINATORS
* integrated tinted secondary visor,
* noticeably quieter than the helmet I have now
* Lightweight
* better fit = higher preference

DON'T-REALLY-CARES
* Bluetooth-ready
* Pin-lock anti-fog

So that defines what's "worth it" to me, and automatically narrows the field considerably because not many helmets that I've looked at have the ratchet-style closure. I will not shell out $600 for a helmet that is not modular, or that does not have a ratchet strap. Done. End of story.

On the other hand, if I found one that had those features as well as most or all of the discriminators, it might win out over a lower-priced model that didn't have them, or didn't have them in a way I liked.

Your criteria and must-have list will be different, so will steer you in different directions.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have a 5 year old Bilt modular lid. By far the most comfortable helmet, and all around best fitting helmet I've ever owned. It's DOT certified and cost about $100.00 5 years ago. It has a flip down interior tinted visor that i couldn't live without now. I've had expensive helmets in the past that i couldn't wait to get off, this Bilt is so comfy , sometimes i get back home and forget to take it off untill i bump the chin bar on something. It's really all about the fit, more than price IMO. Chunk

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Timely discussion. I just found that my inner liner separated from the outer shell by having three of the rivets and their receivers fall out along with the screw that stripped as I tried to put it on. Not that it wasn't too old anyway. I bought them (hiding head in shame) 12 years ago. HJC Symax (not the III or the II, it's an original Symax) and I bought it right when they came out.

So... Schuberth has a new one, but ugly, but integrated com system for $700+, but setbacks keep pushing the delivery date. Once com system is included is it more in the $900 range.:eek::eek:4::eek:

Really like the Shoie Neotec modular with the hi viz yellow striping, again in the $700 range.

The side attached com systems similar to Sena 10/20 have been defined as illegal attachments, so integrated com system is a must, which really narrows the field. The two helmets listed above are "top of the food chain" helmets with prices that match.

Head shape is important. Oval or round makes a huge difference in comfort and feel. I chose my last helmet because it just "fit". Shell materials and the type and densities of inner linings make a safety difference. Air flow and ventilation become important on longer rides. Anti-fogging shields if your weather includes that concern. Washable liners... because I sweat and don't like the "funk".

What I'm gleaning is the the more expensive helmets are better across the board in comfort, quietness, and ventilation, made with superior materials. That doesn't necessarily make them "safer", but more comfortable, which inevitably leads me to safety on longer rides. Anything helping fatigue helps me.

So... is it how much money I can save? Or am I missing an obvious choice?

Bike
Vstrom 650
I'm in the same situation,normaly stick with a full face but thinking of doing some touring next year in hotter climates so the flip up would be handy,
just saw a great price on shoei neotec, question is can I trust the flip up to be as safe, it's got the micro ratchet strap too, The D ring closure is supposed to be better, always tight every time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Get a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head.
Get a $300 helmet if you have a $300 head.

:rofl1:

We all have are bias and prejudices and some opinion might actual be based on citable fact. Who knows. I like a modular helmet from a reputed reputable manufacturer— a Shoei Neotec. I like the look and the features. I have no idea of it's actually better than a $200 helmet especially if that's a full face helmet.

I wear a modular for convenience. There's probably some sacrifice of structural integrity. I make that sacrifice every time I get on a bike too.

DOT and Snell (not for modular helmets) may have ratings to help you decide what kind and how much protection you can buy.

And while your at it you might want to ask about what kind of oil and tires to buy.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The type of riding we do can have a large influence on "necessary" comfort and features. Frequency of riding, distance ridden, weather, etc. all factors.

I've bought less expensive helmets and more expensive helmets. The way I log miles, and I'm not even consistently in the plus 25,000 miles a year column, I can put over 100,000 miles on a helmet before replacing it at 5 years. I found that a $600-$700 helmet is more comfortable over this time than the less expensive ones. My wallet only feels it once, my head for 100,000 miles.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm in the same situation,normaly stick with a full face but thinking of doing some touring next year in hotter climates so the flip up would be handy,
just saw a great price on shoei neotec, question is can I trust the flip up to be as safe, it's got the micro ratchet strap too, The D ring closure is supposed to be better, always tight every time.
Interesting. In the U.S. the Neotec comes with a double d-ring.

The flip up is safe as long as it is flipped down. There are only two models specifically made to be modular and in use with the chin bar up. In both of these models the chin bar rotates all the way to the rear of the helmet and it turns into an open face. Different models interlock in their specific manner, but the Neotec uses a stainless steel locking mechanism, which I'm impressed with.

Again, will the stainless mechanism save me more than a thermoplastic one? Not sure. Is it as safe as a full face? Probably not. Is it safe enough? More than definitely.

The ECE or Snell ratings are largely for track configurations and modulars are not worn at the track.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I went from a HJC Symax2 ($150 I think) to a Shoei Neotec ($500). The Shoei is much better built, superior air flow, much more comfortable and significantly quieter. Plus it has interior tinted shield and Pinlock. It's 5 years old now and I'm back to shopping around again. There are tons of options out there. PROPER FIT IS EVERYTHING!

Bike
2010 ST1300
What I'm gleaning is the the more expensive helmets are better across the board in comfort, quietness, and ventilation, made with superior materials. That doesn't necessarily make them "safer", but more comfortable, which inevitably leads me to safety on longer rides. Anything helping fatigue helps me.
Interesting discussion. We all rely on others to comparatively test helmets, and from my POV, I don't really know which ones perform better or worse than the others. Example: Schuberth is supposed to be a top rated helmet, yet an article on the internet by a European group downrated it for impact protection. And, like Consumer Reports, your criteria might not match those of the testing organization. I value protection, fit, unobstructed vision, and quietness - probably in that order. You might not give a hoot about noise level, and until I rode my Schuberth C3 for some months, I did not put ventilation in the mix. We get too soon old and too late smart. Air flow is VERY important - just close down the vents in the summer. I honestly cannot feel any air flow in my helmet (yes the leatherette flaps are open as is the vent on the outside top) if the visor is closed. This is regardless of riding position - sitting down or standing up with the windshield in its lowest position.

The new Schuberth is ridiculously expensive, and whether you will be able to take the comm system w/ you when you buy (or replace due to an accident) a new hat is up for grabs. I'm planning on buying a Sena later this year - and will deal with the illegalities of it. My only other beef about the Schuberth is their claim that the new hats flow 40% more air than the C3. I say 40% x zero is still zero.

So, Dale, I question your comment that this particular more expensive helmet (Schuberth C3 - the old model) performs better in the ventilation department.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok, I'll bite ... What is this discussion about Sena's being illegal?
No, that's the other thread. I o ly made mention of it because it is a requirement for me to have an integrated com system. The discussions are surrounding the costs of high end helmet and whether the value is added with the rise in cost.

Concerning ventilation, and Schuberth in general, I am assuming the C4 has benefitted from the new design in that dept. But, until we can see one, no one will know.

I will need one very soon, so Schuberth won't be an option. Once the new tires show up, it'll just be sitting there unless I buy just a skid lid until I find the right one.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok, I'll bite ... What is this discussion about Sena's being illegal?
Sorry I cannot direct you to the other thread, but the gist of it is anything that protrudes on the outside of the helmet (Gopro, Senna, what have you) is illegal since if you land squarely on the protrusion, presumably it will puncture your noggin. Alliteration deliberate....

Bike
2005 ST1300
I pay the freight for an Arai only because they're the only hats that fit my long headshape. They're expensive, but that's reason enough for me.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
...because they're the only hats that fit... that's reason enough for me.
And, in a nutshell, there's the truth. Even if you have the most safe and feature filled helmet, it still has to fit. Comfort, quiet, etc, play into what you can endure, which helps in fatigue and safety. Cost is the price.

Time to get out from behind the keyboard and try some on. I know HJC fit well, if I can try on some other options it may be an obvious choice.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
The main difference is the weight. A Shoei isn't any safer than a HJC. I heard of a recent study saying a fiberglass helmet had more "give" than a carbon fiber one and better impact protection? I have a Shoei rf1100. What sold me was the ventilation and it is designed to be worn with glasses. Some full face helmets squeeze the sides of my glasses and effect my vision. Also a full face with poor ventilation causes my shield and glasses to fog during cold weather. The only thing that sold me on my Shoei vs HJC was the physical weight.

Bike
07 ST1300
I use a neotec and got my wife the same. Easy to install coms in. The pinlock is a must, winter and summer. The woven fiberglass/kevlar/whatever/ shell is important to me. There are no inexpensive lids with a woven shell that I know of, though most likely I am wrong. The neotec optics are the best I have seen. I can't tell if the top vents are open or closed so I don't know what all that fuss is about.
Thermo molded shells are VERY inexpensive to produce. Are they better or worse? I dunno.

Top Bottom