Helmets High dollar helmets worth it?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was a devotee' of the "less expensive" helmets for a long time. I had two Scorpion EXO 700's in a row, the last one was 39.95 on eBay, brand new. I really liked both helmets, but it was time for a new one, and had shopped with my sister, who has a similar shaped "long oval" head. We both liked the newer Shoei's...both the RF1200, and the fairly expensive Neotec were good fits on both of us.

She ended up with a closeout RF1200, and I found a deal on a Neotec.

The differences in quality are VERY evident. Shields are much clearer optically, the build quality is ( just from observation) MUCH better, and the fit ( for me at least) is much better on the Neotec. My Scorpions were a bit tight in the forehead area, and gave my bald pate that "Klingon" look when I removed it. The cushioning is much plusher, and it goes on a LOT easier than a regular full face helmet.

Is the modular worth it? For me, it was a toss up. I got a great deal on the lid, so was willing to give it a try. I have found that overall I prefer the modular. It's great for gas stops, or grabbing a drink of water while stopped, as well as lifting up to grab some cooler air while stopped. I am not sure I could ever go back to the regular full face.

In answer to your question: Yes, the high dollar helmets DO offer advantages: higher build quality, better functionality ( in some instances), and more options, but only you can determine if those qualities, rather than functionality are worth the extra $$ to you.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
A Shoei isn't any safer than a HJC.
Every helmet's different, even within the same brand.

The UK has a program called SHARP that does impact testing on helmets. If their findings are a good benchmark, HJC's helmets perform, on average, worse than Shoei's, especially when it comes to side impacts. Individually, nothing Shoei makes got less than three stars and HJC has a couple of real stinkers in its lineup. A browse of SHARP's database is enlightening: there's a surprising number of inexpensive helmets that get high marks for safety and an equally-surprising number of expensive ones that don't. Once you weed out the less-safe helmets, any additional money you spend is for fit, finish and comfort. I'm all for comfort since it helps promote safety.

--Mark

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I wear a Shoei quest and have a klim krios as a backup so I can let the shoei air out. the klim helmet is much lighter but the shoei seems better cushioned

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
And, in a nutshell, there's the truth. Even if you have the most safe and feature filled helmet, it still has to fit. Comfort, quiet, etc, play into what you can endure, which helps in fatigue and safety. Cost is the price.
Absolutely. My Schuberth was tight against my jaw - the pain did not start until after an hour of riding. It made long distance trips uncomfortable to the point where I took a pair of c-clamps and tried to squeeze the foam pads smaller for a few nights. That did not work. The hat broke in* after some months and is fine now.

One point. I believe David Hough (I might have who wrote these comments wrong) wrote in MCN that current design criteria for mc helmets is wrong. The point made was that the helmets are protecting the head from fractures - not maximum impact in g forces. As we have found out with pro football players (and other sports) it is the impact - sudden acceleration of the head that causes the brain to bounce around inside the skull like your average walnut in its shell that causes concussions and damage. This discussion added that the helmet manufacturers need to focus on lessening the impact as well as preventing skull damage.

I have no doubt that spreading the impact over a larger area (helmet shell) does some of this, but his point was that the focus of helmet design was wrong. I'll leave it up to you to decide if he was right or wrong.

Oh, and one more little fact. As we age (and most of us on this website are well up there in years) our brains shrink within the skull and can rattle around more - and can bounce and ricochet off the opposite side of the skull from an impact. This creates more of a hazard for us in the event of an impact to the head. So - read up, do crossword puzzles, read trivia and fill all that space with data to cushion your brain (just kidding).

*or my head changed shape - not sure which.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
We have a shop about 100 miles from here called Iron Pony where you can try on every helmet made I think. I go up about once a year and try on helmets. Comfort is the big thing for me. When I pull it on I want to say "ahhhhhh". Worst helmet for me is the Schuberth. Never put one on my head that I didn't want to rip off in 30 seconds. Followed closely by the Bells. Most comfortable for me always seems to be the HJC's. They just fit me. Every time. On the road I can wear them all day comfortably. Do they have the most features? Do they vent the best? Are they the quietest? Are they the safest? Are they the lightest? Probably not. They are the most comfortable for me, so after trying everything else on, that's what I end up buying.

Guess I have a more or less sub $200 head.

On another note after mostly wearing a modular for the last 2 years, when I do wear one of my full face helmets (like in the avatar) when I get home or stop someplace the first thing I do is grab the chin bar and try and raise it (hint it doesn't move lol) Guess I am programmed now. I like my modular.So convenient.

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
... the helmets are protecting the head from fractures - not maximum impact in g forces... his point was that the focus of helmet design was wrong.
Unfortunately, this is the learning curve. Similar to cars with crush zones that absorb the impact, the object is NOT to have the helmet survive impact testing but to precisely disintegrate absorbing the impact. That leads to the volumes of questions of direction, speed, and concentration of impact and I'll let people smarter than I go on from there...

The lesser helmets using the thermo-injected molds with plastic are probably worthy of ignoring. Most have single density foam and styro-foam liner. A cheap helmet for sure, but really a skid lid and not set up for impact absorption. The bounce affect of these helmets provide the perfect brain rattle parameters.

Mid level helmets seem to be crushable materials generally and some specialty materials are starting to show up. Mid-range will start into EPS liners better ventilation, needed because the interior foam will be of higher density.

Apex helmets seem to have merged several crushable materials into the shell creating fracture plates of harder materials bridging the gaps between different severity of impacts. Lesser imapcts breaking the plates free and harder impacts breaking the plates themselves. The liners in the upper end are multi-density EPS, again creating differences of impacts absorption depending on the impact. Foam and washable liners are the norm in this category and, when spending this much on a helmet, they do use premium materials to attract the sale. Optics are superior.

There are a very few low shelf companies trying to sell up using substandard materials into a better market segment, but most of the large names operate within the price points using similar build techniques.

I happened to be on a flight where I could watch a movie and I like Will Smith, so I watched Concussion not really knowing what it was about. After realizing what has been happening in the football industry, I see similarities in the motorcycle industry. If you haven't seen the film... watch it... really good.

So, I'll avoid the low end for sure. I'm prone to go high end... it's my head (old argument). Sort of my take on insurance as well. I hope I never need it. But, if I do, I want full coverage and a loaner car.

Not always is "get what you pay for" true. But, at least in comfort and technology, it does seem that there are actual increases in safety, comfort, and fatigue reducing components that can make the upper end helmets worthy of the higher prices.

As for brain function increasing size, I'm not sure it works just like a muscle where it grows when used. However, I can gaurantee I've lost brain function over the years. Just ask JRob... I forgot my wallet on our last ride right after I forgot to hit "send" on the text telling him I was running late. :banghead:

I've got an HJC head as well. I find I'm not a Schuberth head, so maybe there is something to the "round", "oval", and "elongated" ratings on most sites since it seems the ferret and I have similar experiences. I'm hoping Bell fits, I want to like the Neotec. We'll see...

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you. Lots of great info. Seems fit becomes prominently important because even the safest helmet doesn't do any good if your head is not held in it. Almost to the point of going with a less expensive helmet would actually protect better if it fit and the more expensive unit did not fit well.

Very much supports everyone's choice when they go with something that is comfortable for their head shape. Snug is safe.

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 Birfl, what is high end?
Go to the Sharp site to check the results.
Checked out our Shoei Qwest's before buying.
Some of the top 500 pound plus helmets get poor results whilst some 100 pound helmets excel.
Upt'North.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Every helmet's different, even within the same brand.

The UK has a program called SHARP...
Very interesting data. Looks like Schuberth has made advances in comfort and technology with compromises in safety over the years. The relatively inexpensive HJC IS model had the chin bar remain attached 100% (nice parameter to measure) and one of the most expensive Shoei was only 93% intact. The safest rated are helmets I haven't heard of and a couple of them dirt cheap. Not sure I would ever even consider them!

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
OK... UK riders... can you clue me in on Caberg Helmets?

They seem to have stopped importing to the US, but they get some pretty outstanding ratings. The only modular with a 5 star rating and 100% chin bar lock. They don't look bad at all...

1.jpg

2.jpg

What kind of reputation have they obtained over on the other side of the pond?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
My Shoei NeoTec is better than my old HJC. Twice the price, but not twice as good. It does fit better (more chin room, and the sunshade clears my glasses,) and I believe that the ventilation is better. It's worth the price difference to me.

Wearing glasses, I prefer a modular. It also lets me lift the face while gassing, going into the C-store, or taking a drink. The retractable sunshade is great; no need to carry my prescription sunglasses. The pinlock shield really helps keep the fogging in check in cold weather or rain.

One normally only buys a new helmet every four or five years. Spread the price difference over that time and it's inconsequenital. Buy the one that fits, and fits your needs, the best. I haven't found anything better than the NeoTec.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I wear a HJC IS max 2 and the price is around $220. It has a inside slide down tinted sun shade and is pin lock ready. It is HJC highest rated modular in the crash test. Only a couple preformed better from different helmet companies. Go to Sharp helmet test [Great Britain] and see how the helmets preformed in the crash test. The Sharp test tells you how a helmet does and not that it just passed. It out preformed Schuberth, Shoei, Nolan. Most modular do not stay closed in the crash test. The HJC IS max 2 is one of the few that stayed closed in the helmet test. You will be surprised at how the higher priced helmet preformed. Is max 2 comes in about 18 different color in the USA. A few more colors from outside USA but those are without DOT stickers. I like the fit and have had it on for many 5 to 10 hour riding days. I would buy another one and am very pleased with this one.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In my circle of friends I know two guys that hit deer at speed (one has hit two) and one that hit a bear. Another got-off at supra slab speed. The Shoei Neotecs and Multitecs modulars in those accidents remained protective. That is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Yes they are worth it. You get what you pay for when buying motorcycle gear. My HJC RPHA ST RUGAL HELMET is made of fiberglass and Kevlar. Awesome helmet even though it was $400. Those cheap helmets won't protect your head very well.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
As a veteran of the industry for 42 years and a rider for 55, my opinion is that the most important factor of a helmet is FIT....if it wobbles around it isn't as safe, and is probably louder and heavier than need be. Helmet AGE is another factor....many factors work on helmets that cause them to deteriorate and to become less safe. Sweat from your head may cause some of the adhesives used to be less effective. The same is true for silly stuff, like aftershave or hair gels. Most new helmets have removable/washable linings....wash them regularly. Washing will help to alert you of flaws as well.

Keith Adams' post is terrific in outlining criteria for buying one. It should be noted though, that the traditional "D" ring closure can be supplemented with snap-type closures that are DOT approved.

DOT certification is a real world street riding criteria and, unless you are racing, it is a good one. EEC or Snell are required by most race sanctioning bodies.

I think a reasonable time of use for any helmet is five years (time for a new one Chunk)....

The biggest thing about a helmet is WEARING one!

Have fun, and ride safe!

Bike
2000 ST1100
I know, I know. I'm shopping for a new one. Thanks for the nudge. Chunk.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
OK... UK riders... can you clue me in on Caberg Helmets?

They seem to have stopped importing to the US, but they get some pretty outstanding ratings. The only modular with a 5 star rating and 100% chin bar lock. They don't look bad at all...

1.jpg

2.jpg

What kind of reputation have they obtained over on the other side of the pond?
Good source for the Caberge helmets:

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_CA/?ObjectID=3422022&ViewAction=ViewFaceted&FacetValue_Manufacturer=Caberg

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, thank you. The only reviews I've been able to dig up have all mentioned that the head shape is most decidedly round if not neutral. My noggin fits my old Symax (2004 vintage - yep, leaks alot in the rain) like a glove. Known as intermediate oval to oval.

Besides, there is a point to be made for having equipment with parts available in the country you live in. But, with the internet I think that point may be moot.

Bike
ST1300 2012
Sorry I cannot direct you to the other thread, but the gist of it is anything that protrudes on the outside of the helmet (Gopro, Senna, what have you) is illegal since if you land squarely on the protrusion, presumably it will puncture your noggin. Alliteration deliberate....
Interesting .... When I hit the pavement my hip and shoulder took a lot of the impact... and the control knob of the Sena got ground down a bit before the area around the shield hinge started losing material, but it definitely wasn't going to come thru the side of my helmet into my head! I can understand the Go-Pro worry, some of the mounts I have seen look like the old Prussian pointed helmets! If the nice flat Sena unit gets hit hard enough to push it thru my helmet .... the impact is probably severe enough that my head has already turned to mush .....

Top Bottom