Helmets High dollar helmets worth it?

Bike
07 ST1300
Yes they are worth it. You get what you pay for when buying motorcycle gear. My HJC RPHA ST RUGAL HELMET is made of fiberglass and Kevlar. Awesome helmet even though it was $400. Those cheap helmets won't protect your head very well.
Seems like people, me anyway, always think of HJC as upper low end helmets. Looking at their site I see some really nice helmets that should compete favorably with anything. I must investigate this further when the time comes.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You're not real likely to put a hole in a helmet with something as blunt as a Sena without so much force that the helmet might not have helped anyway.

The bigger thing with protrusions is having them catch on something while you're sliding and having your neck cranked hard in the wrong direction. Run the edge of your hand over the protrusions in most helmets and you'll notice they're sculpted in a way that prevents it from catching. Part of that's for aerodynamics, but it's also for safety.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
Interesting .... When I hit the pavement my hip and shoulder took a lot of the impact... and the control knob of the Sena got ground down a bit before the area around the shield hinge started losing material, but it definitely wasn't going to come thru the side of my helmet into my head! I can understand the Go-Pro worry, some of the mounts I have seen look like the old Prussian pointed helmets! If the nice flat Sena unit gets hit hard enough to push it thru my helmet .... the impact is probably severe enough that my head has already turned to mush .....
Its hard enough to see into the minds of men, let alone legislators. As Mark said, the purpose is multfold. To prevent impacts from breaking the hat, to prevent snagging was Mark's. No doubt there are other concerns that we have not considered, such as forcing us to buy integrated systems for more money thus stimulating the economy? Pardon my cynicism.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
My Schuberth compared to my old Scorpion is a prime example of getting what you pay for.

However, I really think it comes down to how many miles you do in a day. If you just do a 5 mile commute every day... cheap will suffice. If you're doing all day rallies or thousand mile days, buy as much helmet as you can afford.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I am " satisfied" with my Scorpion 700 full face, but it is 4 years old and I am bored with it!!! straps are ratty and it faded quite a bit. I have never heard of Bilt brand. They seem to have really nice features and good reviews, and are cheap here in Canada. I just wonder how heavy they are? I find after a long day wearing a helmet, a heavy one gets heavier!! This is my first helmet with built in, flip down sun visor.. I will never have another helmet without that feature.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
When my son first started riding he couldn't understand why I spent the extra money on a Shoei helmet when he felt that his Scorpion helmet was just fine. Well he bought a bike that also came with Shoei RF1100. I talked him into wearing it for awhile before selling it. He ended up selling the Scorpion helmet and has worn Shoei ever since. He realized the extra money was worth it when you wear the helmet for more than a hour at a time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I have had a Schuberth C3 with their SRCS comms for over 3 years now and although it is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had it's not the best I've ever had. That was an old, Bell, full-face helmet from 1983.

The things I need from a modern helmet are:
  1. Comfort - I wear it every day for between 1 hour and 3 hours.
  2. Anti-fog pinlock - Essential for the rain and humid air in Paris from September to May
  3. Integral sun visor - (bright) sunlight hurts my eyes and I need a system to see in the tunnels!
  4. Good ventilation
  5. Quiet - it's the quietest modular I've ever had.
  6. BlueTooth which doesn't look ugly and can get caught on things so, integrated is a must - for GPS and to listen to tunes. I don't want a GPS I can see while riding and lane splitting/filtering in Parisienne traffic
  7. Easy to put on and take off wearing glasses.
  8. Modular
The Schuberth C3 provides all of this and more

The main problem is the attention to detail during manufacture and their quality control system. They need to up their game a lot here. It's little things which aren't done properly like:

• The lining coming unglued after just over a year even though I wear a thin, cotton protector on my head as well. Simple to glue back on but why should I have to on a helmet of that price?
  • The rubber seal around the visor coming unglued after about the same period of time. Simple to glue back on but why should I have to on a helmet of that price?
  • The paint marks if you look at it it's so thin.
  • The spring in the ratchet clip broke after 3 years

The SRCS system has been replaced twice:

• After about a year it wouldn't charge up - replaced because Schuberth lost it while it was in for repair!
  • The replacement just stopped working after a year - replaced because Schuberth lost it while it was in for repair!

For a helmet of this quality and price point these things shouldn't happen.

I've since got a C3 Pro and that is really comfortable but... There's an annoying leak of air (and wind noise) from around the hinge area which I haven't been able to trace yet. Also the collar doesn't fit in properly - there's a small gap by the sun visor control - it doesn't seem to affect anything but it's a quality control failing again. Oh, and of course, the SRCS system from the C3 isn't compatible!

Why did I buy it? Because it ticks all the boxes I require and I had problems (comfort, glasses, putting it on/taking it off etc.) with other, cheaper and more expensive, helmets.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
However, I really think it comes down to how many miles you do in a day. If you just do a 5 mile commute every day... cheap will suffice. If you're doing all day rallies or thousand mile days, buy as much helmet as you can afford.
+1. I have a $200 Bilt DOT approved helmet that I got on close-out from Cycle Gear for $60. It's for around town use where my speeds are particularly low. It's got a built-in sun shade. It doesn't have the fit and finish of a Shoei and is much lighter but not quite as comfortable or quiet. I'm aware that a major accident could still occur but again it's a matter of calculated risks.

My Neotec is reserved for Big Slabbin' or whenever I ride with my Sena buddies.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have a bunch of helmets in my collection, full face and modular. As I look around I see a Schuberth, an Arai, two Nolans, and a Scorpion. Some are supplied to me for various product tests I do, others I've purchased with my own dough.

Of all the ones I have, I like the Schuberth C3 Pro modular best. Light and comfy, nice to be able to set the internal visor at any position (not just deployed or retracted, as with the Nolan and Scorpion), rachet type closure. One drawback is the airflow through the helmet isn't that great, especially with a fully faired bike. I bought this with my own money and I'd buy another one.

For full face I like the Arai Vector Air, which has amazing airflow, including two little vents in the visor. Also light, comfy (Schuberth is better). I wish the Schuberth had this much airflow, but I prefer a modular.

The Nolans (N102 and N103) are right up there with the Schuberth for functionality, fit and finish, etc., but side-by-side Schuberth is a notch above overall. More expensive, too.

The Scorpion is OK. Doesn't fit my head shape very well so not that comfy. Has an internal sun visor. Examine it next to a premium lid and the difference in quality is apparent. Still DOT approved, so it should protect your head to the extent a helmet can.

Regarding built-in Bluetooth, I was disappointed with the BMW Bluetooth system designed for the Schuberth. Sound quality sucked, it only worked with BMWs and one other rider (who had to have the same BMW/Schuberth system), no bike to bike. I uninstalled it and sold it (to someone who was thrilled to get a gently used system for less than a new one), and got a Sena 20S which is better in every respect.

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Seems like people, me anyway, always think of HJC as upper low end helmets. Looking at their site I see some really nice helmets that should compete favorably with anything. I must investigate this further when the time comes.
This is something I have found surprising as well.

My Shoei NeoTec is better than my old HJC. Twice the price, but not twice as good.
Another agreement from the perspective of reviews. However, wouldn't you want the best for your head? At least, that was my argument.

I wear a HJC IS max 2... It is HJC highest rated modular in the crash test.... It out preformed Schuberth, Shoei, Nolan. Most modular do not stay closed in the crash test. The HJC IS max 2 is one of the few that stayed closed in the helmet test.
The testing was the tipping point. I know my head fits HJC, because it is what I wear. But it performed at 100% on the chin bar test, one of the very few that did. It scored the same at the Neo in the front and side impact, both direct and glancing.

There will be a general concensus that the Neo will provide that small advance, but 2x Neo = 2x IS-Max2 + dual pack Sena 20s Evo + 1 new jacket + $200 for fuel

You can see which side of the equation got real heavy...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm finding the NeoTec is becoming my helmet of choice, over my Multitecs. I find the small visor very handing when lane splitting in the heat. It allows more air in where I need it. Also when it is really very bright out, it, along with the tinted visor I bought for it do a great job of cutting down the intensity of the :sun1:!

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I'm finding the NeoTec is becoming my helmet of choice, over my Multitecs. I find the small visor very handing when lane splitting in the heat. It allows more air in where I need it. Also when it is really very bright out, it, along with the tinted visor I bought for it do a great job of cutting down the intensity of the :sun1:!
My stable is a NeoTec and a Schuberth S2. My insurance company bought me the S2 after I low sided and landed on my face with a Scorpion EXO.

Going back to the OP: The Scorpion cost me $89 new and it did it's job - I still have my fully functional jaw to this day.

I got the S2 because it's the lightest, quietest helmet I've ever owned. That NeoTec is the plushest helmet I've ever had, but it's so damned heavy. 9 times out of 10, I grab that Schuberth.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That NeoTec is the plushest helmet I've ever had, but it's so damned heavy. 9 times out of 10, I grab that Schuberth.
Yep and yep, but it's a matter of just getting used to the weight.

Which is one of the first things I noticed too was the weight. Now, after a few weeks of riding with it on, my neck is starting to get use to it...meaning my neck muscles are being worked up and made stronger! ;)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep and yep, but it's a matter of just getting used to the weight.

Which is one of the first things I noticed too was the weight. Now, after a few weeks of riding with it on, my neck is starting to get use to it...meaning my neck muscles are being worked up and made stronger! ;)
I never notice the weight of the Neotec. Like the ST1300 it's heavy but well balanced and in the wind the helmet has almost no pull or buffeting when you rotate your head from side to side - it's also well balanced aerodynamically. It's much like the Multitec was in that way.

I have to say when I went to buy the last Neotec I shopped the Schubert C3 against it thinking I might change brands. The shop carries both brands and many others. The owner of the shop tried to talk me out of the C3 but I insisted to compare them. With one of each in either hand it's easy to see the quality differences and he said the German helmets have too many warranty issues with liners and visor mechanisms.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I never notice the weight of the Neotec. Like the ST1300 it's heavy but well balanced and in the wind the helmet has almost no pull or buffeting when you rotate your head from side to side - it's also well balanced aerodynamically. It's much like the Multitec was in that way.
My neck is still a little sore from the extra weight..:eek:4:

I was about to switch back, but decided to give it another go...:D

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm finding the NeoTec is becoming my helmet of choice...
I'm thinking one is definitely in my future. After the research, the materials, construction, etc, etc, the Neotec really impressed me. Plus... I just dig the TC3 yellow on the Imminent stripe scheme. It just looks cool.

If I wasn't looking at having to replace both of my helmets (back to riding after 10 years and both helmets are 11+ yrs old) and needing to update the communication (cell phones were barely used when I parked it), the financials will only go so far right now. As well, I've lost a bunch of weight the last 2 years and I've dropped a size or two in gear. I would like a jacket pretty quick. I'm starting to feel like I'm swimming in my current one. Pants also need replaced... but I will wait for end of season specials for those items. Buy it on sale or in closeout.

Helmets... I need them now or I don't get to ride. Just to keep me from getting the urge to cheat.... I threw both the old lids away. No helmets... no riding. We are dedicated to the upgrade now....!

Tracking my tires as they come to me. Hopefully I'll have the helmets at the same time I'm remounting the wheels to go for a test ride.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My Multitec and previous Neotec were black like my bike and I liked that. But I saw the Neo in Brilliant Yellow and really liked both it and the contrast with the bike.

I don't give helmet color much stock in preventing accidents and the Hurt report seems to bear that out. I just like bright yellow.

The weight makes itself known to me when carrying a pannier with it inside but never wearing it. That is until I got the Bilt. In alternating between them I do notice the weight of the Neo (and likely the Multi) for a minute or two when first putting it on. But after that it's not noticed at all.

The Bilt besides not being anywhere near the excellent finish of the Neo is hi-vis yellow which means it's not yellow but yellow-green. I can live with it (LOL) but Brilliant Yellow is... brilliant!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am not understanding your reply. It infers that the impact from a crash at a given speed that happens during a 5 mile commute is somehow less than the impact from a crash at the same speed that happens during a 500 mile ride so a cheaper quality helmet is fine if you are only traveling a distance of 5 miles?

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
I am not understanding your reply. It infers that the impact from a crash at a given speed that happens during a 5 mile commute is somehow less than the impact from a crash at the same speed that happens during a 500 mile ride so a cheaper quality helmet is fine if you are only traveling a distance of 5 miles?
I took it to mean that because they all pass the same safety tests and can be trusted to do the same job in the event of an accident, the benefits of weight, airflow, quietness of the high dollar helmets would be beneficial on long days but maybe not so important on short rides.

Top Bottom