Helmets High dollar helmets worth it?

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
+2 if you add me to this, but typically only at stop lights or in low speeds.
+3, but I'm guilty of riding around all the time with the visor open, except when it gets really hot, like the 116° time in Phoenix. I just get too stuffy and mildly claustrophobic otherwise. Please don't go preaching... I know the drill. I'm even considering the ADV helmets for the larger periphery.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I ride with the modular bit down always but with the visor up and the inner shield down a lot.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Curious where you saw/heard/read that. I'd like to look it up.
I too would like to see some actual relevant documentation. It seemed to have started from here:

JRob said:
Just a heads up for those that live in WA State or may be travelling through. See the attached Link. Motorcycle emphasis patrols starting.
One note: I didn't realize that a helmet mounted GoPro was illegal....

http://itsafineline.com/patrols/
I assumed the linked article addressed the last comment but didn't see any reference. There are mentions that helmet attachments are illegal in WA and GA but no supporting links. Then someone makes a leap and states flatly 'they're illegal'. So far this looks to me to be a bad game of 'Telephone' where there's some factoid heavily surrounded by— conjecture? BS?

There was posted a federal reference to a helmet's design limitations/parameters/restrictions which to me reads as required standards for manufacturers.

The fact that there are probably millions of cameras and comm units mounted to helmets roaming America's streets and highways makes me wonder about the accuracy of a blanket statement 'they're illegal'. I've never seen a manufacturer's admonition 'For Off Road Use Only' regarding cameras and comm units.

I'm guilty of participating as I repeated the mention that WA and GA view helmet attachments as illegal. So now I'd really like to see some documentation specifically declaring these attachments to be illegal and not merely a lay person's opinion. Much more clarification is in order.

Bike
2005 st1300
Also, in the link provided, the story is dated July28, 2016. I would think that if they are illegal, we would be hearing stories of tickets being handed out by now.
I actually believe that some states could have put wording into the laws based on some instance where protrusions from a helmet have/could have caused some unforeseen mishap and until those instances happen, we will never hear anymore of it. Thats my take on it...YMMV

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
So helmets are optional, but if you have a bump on the side of your full face helmet it's illegal to wear it? That's kinda crazy.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
To the letter of the law, they would be illegal. However, so is going 66 mph on I-90. I imagine the law was to prevent the glue on Mohawk attachments and Nazi spikes on 1/2 helmets. They are now enforcing some go-pro mounts because of placement. No one has had a comm unit flagged.

In WA state, helmets are mandatory. However, insurance is not (I call that crazy).

As most officer involved encounters, safety and respect and you won't have a lot of issues.

Last edited:
Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I too would like to see some actual relevant documentation. It seemed to have started from here:

I assumed the linked article addressed the last comment but didn't see any reference. There are mentions that helmet attachments are illegal in WA and GA but no supporting links. Then someone makes a leap and states flatly 'they're illegal'. So far this looks to me to be a bad game of 'Telephone' where there's some factoid heavily surrounded by— conjecture? BS?

I'm guilty of participating as I repeated the mention that WA and GA view helmet attachments as illegal. So now I'd really like to see some documentation specifically declaring these attachments to be illegal and not merely a lay person's opinion. Much more clarification is in order.
Not a game of telephone... I called and spoke to the WSP office in Spokane as I have a GoPro and Comm unit attached to my Shoei. They confirmed that if ANY protrusion over the federal law is found they can, and likely will, write you up. This is the page they sent out on July 21, 2017 and you'll notice bullet point 1 addresses the GoPro. Additionally there is a YouTube video of a guy getting pulled over in GA and is told the same thing by the trooper on camera.

WSP.jpg

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Not a game of telephone... I called and spoke to the WSP office in Spokane as I have a GoPro and Comm unit attached to my Shoei. They confirmed that if ANY protrusion over the federal law is found they can, and likely will, write you up. This is the page they sent out on July 21, 2017 and you'll notice bullet point 1 addresses the GoPro. Additionally there is a YouTube video of a guy getting pulled over in GA and is told the same thing by the trooper on camera.

WSP.jpg
But it still does not state it is against the law. It says you can't do it but what is the actual law? A WSP media release is not a law.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
[]My plan with every helmet is to look for comfortable, light-weight helmet with high SHARP ratings. ]

I have been wearing Arai's the past 10+ years. Currently I have an RXQ which fits me very well.

Comfort & weight are VERY important to me. I found the Arai exterior shape is very aerodynamic & puts less dynamic stress on my neck than other brands. A heavy helmet fatigues me out & lessens my concentration.

I prefer a one piece helmet for safety reasons. I experienced one hi speed & one low speed fall directly on my face riding my dirt bikes.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #

There was posted a federal reference to a helmet's design limitations/parameters/restrictions which to me reads as required standards for manufacturers.

The fact that there are probably millions of cameras and comm units mounted to helmets roaming America's streets and highways makes me wonder about the accuracy of a blanket statement 'they're illegal'. I've never seen a manufacturer's admonition 'For Off Road Use Only' regarding cameras and comm units.

I finally Googled this subject and found an article in The News Tribune (a Tacoma, WA newspaper). It's dated January 29, 2017: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/traffic/article129460384.html
It's a yes, no sort-of situation.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Soontobeone said:
It's a yes, no sort-of situation.
Agreed. And it's that exactly that ambiguity that needs to be addressed and eliminated before just declaring 'illegal'.

How do stick-on 'mohawks' rate mention in the WA memo?

So for now I'll wear my Sena/GoPro/GPS HUD and stay out of WA and GA.

I will say I'm not a fan of a GoPro on my helmet because they just seem too bulky and awkward. After watching a million YT videos I prefer cameras mounted on the bike. Two on the front toed-out with over lapping coverage and one aft. That's a whole 'nother thread. Oh! Oh! A bike-mounted helmet-guided camera! And a body cam just for good measure.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Back to the question at hand.

Is the more expensive helmet worth the difference?

In terms of protection no. If you sustain a crash that breaks a any snell approved helmet (Snell can be had for 150$ ?) its not gonna matter. That kind of force will be enough to be fatal. So your 700 dollar helmet might survive the crash in one piece, but not the rest of you.

Where the Shoei and Arai separate themselves is the comfort and convenience factor. They are far more quiet, with plush interiors, with different size cheek pads to fine tune the fit.

They are more aerodynamic, and slicker in the wind which = less fatigue and noise to deal with. I find the modular style too heavy, and more noisy then the all one piece full face. Some will give up those things for the modular experience, all in just what you like.

The attention to detail of a Shoei is noticeable. So I spend the money to look good, and to have the most quiet available. But that's just me.

Last edited:

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I spend a little extra for an Arai for no others fit my ovalian cranium.
Fit and comfort is excellent.

Got a Shoei Neotec. Fits better than Schubert and others. And with 35-40.000 km a year i go for comfort and minimal risk.
Helmet is nearly 5 years old and really looks worn. As well inside as outdide. Will replace it by same type before winter (pinlock is now removed because of scratches. Replaced the pinlock once).

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I'm really pulling away from this subject is that we've been asking the wrong questions for a long time. It isn't how much you paid, it isn't how well it tested, it is more of a fitment issue. Once fitment is determined, most tend to stay in the same helmet camp and get the best they offer. Fortunately, most of the companies best are more than adequate, with high end using better materials, fit, and finish.

Since I'm a modular guy, I'm still very pleased to see chin bar open percentages in SHARP and very much appreciate the link. I had not been there before.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
What I'm really pulling away from this subject is that we've been asking the wrong questions for a long time. It isn't how much you paid, it isn't how well it tested, it is more of a fitment issue.
+1 on fit being the main criteria for any properly rated helmet. Several years at the IMS show in Ft. Worth I visited with the Arai rep. He educated me on how proper fit affects several variables. That has been my approach to buying a helmet ever since. When I started riding again about 15 years ago I bought a Shoei. Come to find out that helmet was not the proper size for me. After visiting with the Arai rep a lot of things he discussed were issues I had with my Shoei at the time because it wasn't the right size for me. He fitted me for an Arai and since I was due for a new helmet anyway I bought one. I typically buy a new helmet at the bike show because they are discounted and thats part of the reason I attended the show. They Arai was a good helmet but has since been replaced by another Shoei purchased at the IMS show in Dallas (Neotec at a discounted price) a couple of years ago. The Shoei just fits me the best which results in a quiter, more comfortable helmet. I guess buying a helmet is like buying a bike. You just have to go with what fits you the best.

Top Bottom