Sidestand question - Am I too heavy?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I am finding it reassuring that so many replies describe each of the methods I've used. I thought I was the only stiff, awkward s.o.b. out there.

Depending on the day, my mood, and whether or not I have a load strapped to the pillion seat I've used each of the methods listed here, except for the center stand. I've not tried it but doubt that with a 31 inch inseam that I could actually reach the ground with enough leverage left to get the bike off the stand. Maybe a driveway practice session is in order, though.

A lot of it has to do with how limber I am at a given moment. I've never been noticeably supple and it gets worse with time in general, and in particular with consecutive hours in the saddle.

MOSTLY I kick over the seat. Bag scuffs are what they are, and the overall state of my bike suggests that it has been ridden more than it has been buffed, waxed, and polished.

Sometimes I face the bike and use the "goosestep" method, often with a pant leg grab assist. That is generally a two-step process (pun recognized) 1- kick up enough to get right heel on operator's seat, then 2- hop forward until heel and leg drop off the far side. It's awkward, ungraceful, and undignified but I end up safely aboard every time.

Less often, I use the peg while the bike is on the side stand.

The second and third methods are the only options for me when I have a bag full of gear lashed to the pillion seat.

FWIW: I'm 245 lbs +/-, 5' 10", and have about a 31 inch inseam.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I don't know about the 1300 but I do know the "Honda strong" side stand on the 1100 is prone to deformation. And that results in problems with side stand and center stand springs catching each other.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I am finding it reassuring that so many replies describe each of the methods I've used. I thought I was the only stiff, awkward s.o.b. out there.

Depending on the day, my mood, and whether or not I have a load strapped to the pillion seat I've used each of the methods listed here, except for the center stand. I've not tried it but doubt that with a 31 inch inseam that I could actually reach the ground with enough leverage left to get the bike off the stand. Maybe a driveway practice session is in order, though.

A lot of it has to do with how limber I am at a given moment. I've never been noticeably supple and it gets worse with time in general, and in particular with consecutive hours in the saddle.

MOSTLY I kick over the seat. Bag scuffs are what they are, and the overall state of my bike suggests that it has been ridden more than it has been buffed, waxed, and polished.

Sometimes I face the bike and use the "goosestep" method, often with a pant leg grab assist. That is generally a two-step process (pun recognized) 1- kick up enough to get right heel on operator's seat, then 2- hop forward until heel and leg drop off the far side. It's awkward, ungraceful, and undignified but I end up safely aboard every time.

Less often, I use the peg while the bike is on the side stand.

The second and third methods are the only options for me when I have a bag full of gear lashed to the pillion seat.

FWIW: I'm 245 lbs +/-, 5' 10", and have about a 31 inch inseam.
I can get mine off the centerstand when seated on it. I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ddemair said:
Are you saying that you push the bike off of the center stand while standing to the side? I've always pushed it off while ON the bike and feel I have much better control.
Same here. But I thought I read here not too long ago that some riders who can't touch both feet while on the CS have trouble keeping the bike stable when rolling it off.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I use the left peg most of the time, always when there is a package or duffel on the pillion.

Just in case the ground under the sidestand may be soft, I never put full weight or bounce on the pag, but make a smooth "leap" pushing off the right foot and swinging smoothly under my butt -- in front of the duffel or package, not over.

260# ATGATT with 29' inseam.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I can get mine off the centerstand when seated on it. I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam.
Me too - and I'm your size.

Same here. But I thought I read here not too long ago that some riders who can't touch both feet while on the CS have trouble keeping the bike stable when rolling it off.
Not sure where you saw that, but yes, I agree from my own personal experience. Tippy toes, and/or quick action sliding off the seat to one side to firmly plant a foot does the trick. But, I do have to admit that i've had a tip over or three coming off the center stand when footing was iffy - at a gas station, on gravel, or if my foot found a depression (pot hole) that I had not noticed before. I am a whole lot more careful doing this now than I used to be.

On the other hand, I have a few tall friends. I remember several instances walking down basement stairs with them, my head clears the stairwell ceiling and they thump soundly into it. Would I trade a few thumps for a longer inseam and a bit more altitude? Probably.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I always take my bike off the center stand standing from the side. I can barely reach the ground with the bike on 2 tires and suspension collapsed by my weight. Trying to reach the ground from the center stand position is impossible for me and I'm sure not going to rock it down from that position and try and catch it. I also have to get off put one hand on the bars and the other on the seat to back it up. Things you learn to deal with when you are a munchkin.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I'd say most of you guys need to get in shape! :D

Round is a shape!!! :crackup

I do occasionally get a saddlebag scuff. They rub out better than tipover scratches, so I don't worry about it too much. :rolleyes:

When I use my MotoFizz bag on the passenger seat, I typically kick my right leg up over the saddle and slide the rest of the way over. Rarely will I use a footpeg to saddle up, just because it feels a little precarious to me. It's probably a good idea to grease and inspect the sidestand pivot once in a while, especially if you're standing on the footpeg to mount.

I tend to not use the centerstand too much. In my garage I can fit the bike into the corner better with the sidestand. Mostly when checking air pressure, filling with gas to the brim, etc. And I've had centerstands sink into soft hot asphalt before - makes it a ***** to get it off! (Note - I do carry a plate to place under my sidestand on hot asphalt, although it's typically not needed on more rocky, chipsealed pavement.)

6 ft, 290, 30 inch inseam pants. YMMV.

Bike
ST1300 2012
Are you saying that you push the bike off of the center stand while standing to the side? I've always pushed it off while ON the bike and feel I have much better control.
Yes - I "ride" the bike off the center stand .... but the trip starts on tippy toes and usually takes a couple of rocking motions to get it moving ... I feel like I don't have a lot of control until it lands and I can get a foot firmly on the ground!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Anytime I have my wife get on the bike with me, I put the sidestand down and then she puts her foot on the peg and swings her leg over the bags and topcase. I haven't had a sidestand fail yet.

I do have an extra or two, if they ever failed!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
A year since this thread first appeared and I wonder why SMSW decided to resurrect it with my earlier comment again? Getting younger obviously isn't going to happen, but getting limber could.

Here's what works for me. I'm not that tall at 5'9" and I have always had to do this to avoid scuffing the right bag. Requires some flexibility of the hip and knee joints. Bike on the side stand, lift right leg and fold it at the knee, holding the calf as close to the thigh as possible with the right hand. Left hand on the left bar for balance. Bend over forward slightly, raise the right thigh as high as possible and push your knee over the seat, then straighten out the leg to clear the right bag. Then slide onto the seat and you're there.

Bike
1991 ST1100
As I age the standard mount/dismount tends to result in scuffs on the bags. A problem with my left leg makes using the left foot peg more convenient and the bags approve.

An option might be mounting/dismounting from the high side. This takes a little practice to build some muscle memory (since we've been doing otherwise for many years) but the bags like it.
I always mount from the high side. Yes, it's counter intuitive, but it works better for me. Although technically "incorrect" I do find it easier (but does take some getting used to).

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
When I bought the ST 1100 in 2001 (age 46), I stood on the ground beside it and threw my leg over it, just like I did with my Honda 150 when I was a teenager.

Beginning around my mid-50s, I stood on the ground beside it, grabbed the cuff of my right pantleg, and manouvered my right leg over the top of the seat.

Today, at age 63, I stand on the left footpeg and then throw my right leg over the seat.

For me, it all has to do with degradation of range of motion of my hips. From reading other responses to this thread, I think that is fairly common as we get older.

I have every confidence in the strength of the sidestand on the bike. But you can bet I pay quite careful attention to the load-bearing characteristics of the ground below when I park the bike and deploy the sidestand. :)

Michael

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
what does one do if wearing shorts and flip-flops?
Grab the hairs on your leg and pull your leg over... Eventually, you'll need to find another method...the hairs won't last forever. :D

When I started riding again, I started with a Burgman 400 scooter. Lots of guys on them because they can't lift their leg over the seat anymore. When I got an ultrasound once for gall bladder problems, the lab technician said I had arthritis in the hips. No, duh. Eventually I got to thinking that if I ever wanted a "real" motorcycle, maybe I should do this soon because unlike the guys who were forced to scooters, I still could probably handle this. I wasn't sure, but it was a now or never thought in my mind. And my left hand was having issues too. I was thinking arthritis there as well, especially since my Dad had arthritis really bad at a young age.

Actually, it has worked extremely well. There's no pain in the left hand, and my bike has a really stiff clutch. The hip gives me no issues at all, and if I hit the far case, it is just laziness on my part for not lifting my leg and foot enough. Even better is when I have a bag on the pillion seat and have to get my leg over the seat. And if I have arthritis in my hips any more...I can't tell.

BTW, I turned 66 last August. I think moving your joints through the full range of motion is better than trying to avoid the movement.

Chris

Top Bottom