Helmets A Helmet Lock Recommendation?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My Shoei Neotec (M) won't fit in the 1300's pannier anymore since adding the Sena 20S cradle.

So unless I'm stowing it wrong a helmet lock is in order. I fully understand the limitations of locks and the vulnerability of the chin strap with regards to honest people.

There are times when I just don't want to hang it on the stud that replaced the clutch lever bolt or cart it around. So I'll have to accept the compromise of a helmet lock. And/or maybe a cut resistant strap or cable to run through the chin and lock to the bike?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You could get a top box? I find mine quite handy for lots of stuff. Leave it on all the time.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
On those rare occasions when I like to lock my helmet instead of just hanging it on the bike, I use a bicycle cable lock. It's an easy lock to defeat, but I figure it's more likely to be stolen as a "prank" than because someone actually wants it for themselves so a deterrent should be sufficient.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
This may sound like a dumb question, but have you tried turning the helmet around, so the Sena fits into the depression in the back of the pannier? That's the only way I can fit my Scorpion helmet with Sena into the pannier. My helmet won't fit my Givi top box unless I remove the Sena from the mount.

Ride Safe
John

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I have had helmet guardians on all my bikes for years. You can get single models and double models. The limitation of a helmet lock, as you said, is someone cutting the chin strap. They can also put things in your helmet you don't want in your helmet. Fortunately neither has happened to me to date. I was at Mt Mitchell once and was up in the top platform when a sudden thunderstorm opened up. My hanging upside down helmet on my helmet guardian became a fish bowl at that point lol.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had helmet guardians on all my bikes for years. You can get single models and double models. The limitation of a helmet lock, as you said, is someone cutting the chin strap. They can also put things in your helmet you don't want in your helmet. Fortunately neither has happened to me to date. I was at Mt Mitchell once and was up in the top platform when a sudden thunderstorm opened up. My hanging upside down helmet on my helmet guardian became a fish bowl at that point lol.
I have dual Guardian locks on the 2012 & 2010 mounted under my topcase. I just make sure the helmet doesn't hang upside down. If I need extra security, I'll loop a short cable through the face and lock each end of the cable to one of the locks. Sometimes I will thread a cable through my jacket sleeves and leave my jacket across the topcase with said ends to each lock.

Here's what it looked like when I had it mounted on the '05

helmetholder

Note: I now use extensions, allowing the helmet to hang down so it's not upside down...

Last edited:

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I fit my Neotec with S20 in the side case with no issue on my 08.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but have you tried turning the helmet around, so the Sena fits into the depression in the back of the pannier?
No I haven't. Just eyeballing that option it looked like the depression was too high and I'd have to prop the helmet up. I'll give it a look. Thanks.

I fit my Neotec with S20 in the side case with no issue on my 08.
I was hoping someone would say this (although with a little more detail). Do you turn the helmet backwards so the cradle (and Sena) are on the inboard side? What size is your Neotec?

A top box is out of the question. I'll look to see if I can use a Guardian with my rack for those times when my panniers are otherwise occupied.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup, I bought a Helmet Guardian (the double model) and mounted it on the license plate bracket. It's unobtrusive and secure - works fine for me.

It has always seemed odd to me that good helmet locks are absent on many modern bikes whereas every bike had one in the '70s. The arrangement on the ST is absurd. Hmmmmm.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Assuming at least one of the responders above has a helmet with the traditional Dr-ring strap (ratchets excepted), does nobody use the hooks under the pillion seat on the 1300?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the ST1100, the 'helmet locks' are under the seat - which means you would have to remove the seat, attach the helmet, then put the seat back on. That's why I went with the Helmet Guardians - just put them under the license plate and you're good to go. BTW, Mine have Yamaha style keys if you are looking for extra blanks - Yamaha, Suzuki, YH46 X120.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I'll loop a short cable through the face and lock each end of the cable to one of the locks. Sometimes I will thread a cable through my jacket sleeves and leave my jacket across the topcase with said ends to each lock.
+1 here. I use a bike cable lock just because it's easier to lock the 1 piece Aerostich suit and helmet to the grabrails.

Assuming at least one of the responders above has a helmet with the traditional Dr-ring strap (ratchets excepted), does nobody use the hooks under the pillion seat on the 1300?
Never did on my 1100 or the 1300. Just too much of a PIA to have it on & off several times in a day.

Skip

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
does nobody use the hooks under the pillion seat on the 1300?
Of course not. A ridiculous PIA. One of my Hondas years ago had a hinged seat that flipped up to the STBD side of the bike. You put the helmet on a hook and shut the seat locking the helmet in place. Easy peasy.

Not so with the ST. I've never been desperate enough to use it.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
On the ST1100, the 'helmet locks' are under the seat - which means you would have to remove the seat, attach the helmet, then put the seat back on.
The ST1300 is the same in this respect. The 'helmet locks' are a real PIA and are basically useless. I tried using mine once and it took no time to come to that conclusion, IIRC, I couldn't replace the seat with the D ring secured in the 'lock'.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
IIRC both my '85 V65 Sabre and '84 V1000F Interceptor had helmet locks on the frame rail. Very convenient and held the helmet against the bike and not upside down.

I'll order a Helmet Guardian later today. One thing though: it looks like it's just held on by two Allen/hex screws and nylon lock nuts that use the top holes for the license plate. Not a deal-breaker but I'd like to find some kind of security fasteners to replace them. (Not one-way types.) Any ideas?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Cable lock here: one for the helmet and one for the jacket.

Flexible application and it just prevents the proverbial "Grab and Go."

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
IIRC both my '85 V65 Sabre and '84 V1000F Interceptor had helmet locks on the frame rail. Very convenient and held the helmet against the bike and not upside down.

I'll order a Helmet Guardian later today. One thing though: it looks like it's just held on by two Allen/hex screws and nylon lock nuts that use the top holes for the license plate. Not a deal-breaker but I'd like to find some kind of security fasteners to replace them. (Not one-way types.) Any ideas?
IIRC, they come with 'security' screws, but that may have changed. I have the Hondaline Topboxes on my ST1100s, and hang my helmets from the Guardian with the 'top' facing out. This keeps most of the rain and crap out of them while hanging. I have seen folks mount the Guardians under/to their topbox rack rail to get a 'different' hanging perspective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom