Helmets A Helmet Lock Recommendation?

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
No I haven't. Just eyeballing that option it looked like the depression was too high and I'd have to prop the helmet up. I'll give it a look. Thanks.

I was hoping someone would say this (although with a little more detail). Do you turn the helmet backwards so the cradle (and Sena) are on the inboard side? What size is your Neotec?

A top box is out of the question. I'll look to see if I can use a Guardian with my rack for those times when my panniers are otherwise occupied.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
I put mine in the RH bag with the Sena facing Left or inside. My Neo is a Med I think.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd like to find some kind of security fasteners to replace them. (Not one-way types.) Any ideas?
Go to Fastenall - its a fastener chain, at least we have them in Ohio. Or any large fastener house. there are quite a few security type bolt heads that are removable. Two variations that I have seen are (looking at the wrench - an allen wrench with a hole drilled in the center or a torx type with the same hole drilled in the end of the wrench. Unless your thief has a kit with 50 different wrenches like mine, the most he can do is spin the nylock nut on the other end. Or use 'permanent' locktite. That will make heating the bolt necessary to remove it.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I put mine in the RH bag with the Sena facing Left or inside. My Neo is a Med I think.
Thanks! I'm going to check that out! I used to keep my helmet in the port side back since that's the side I mount from. I'll try that first. If I decide to make getting on from the high-side a way of life I'll use the STBD bag. Thank you ScubaDave and NashCat.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
IIRC both my '85 V65 Sabre and '84 V1000F Interceptor had helmet locks on the frame rail. Very convenient and held the helmet against the bike and not upside down.

I'll order a Helmet Guardian later today. One thing though: it looks like it's just held on by two Allen/hex screws and nylon lock nuts that use the top holes for the license plate. Not a deal-breaker but I'd like to find some kind of security fasteners to replace them. (Not one-way types.) Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure that the Helmet Guardian fasteners are "tamper-proof" Torx screws. Of course, you need a "tamper-proof" Torx driver to install or remove them them and I...ahem...happen to have one along with anyone else who shops at Harbour Freight (in the US) or Princess Automotive (in Canada). So, while the level of security provided is limited, it does prevent some creep from simply lifting your helmet off the seat or handlebar and waltzing off with it. I have never been able to leave my helmet sitting on the bike and walk away.

As an aside, I ride with a guy who has a 2016 Honda F6B and it has the same useless under-seat helmet hook as the ST1300 - but his bike came with a length of cable that has loops swaged onto the ends to enable you to lash the helmet to the bike. As pointed out above, it is a very inconvenient arrangement for such a large, capable and expensive motorcycle - but at least he can secure his helmet if he really needs to.

Does anyone know if those cables were provided with brand new ST1300s - or are they available from Honda (we no longer have a dealer in our city).

Pete

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
I just put my givi trunk on if I know I'm going somewhere I'll be taking my helmet off.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MaxPete said:
I'm pretty sure that the Helmet Guardian fasteners are "tamper-proof"...
You are correct!

You can see that their supplied 'wrench' has an opening for some kind of security fastener. Somewhere in my box o' tools is a 50pc security-fastener bit set I got from Amazon years back.

My Helmet Guardian is on it's way. Thanks to all for the recommendation. I still have to get around to seeing if I can wedge it into an empty side bag.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I wish that Sena had an option to put the helmet unit under the seat so you didn't have it hanging on the side of the helmet.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
You are correct!

You can see that their supplied 'wrench' has an opening for some kind of security fastener. Somewhere in my box o' tools is a 50pc security-fastener bit set I got from Amazon years back.

My Helmet Guardian is on it's way. Thanks to all for the recommendation. I still have to get around to seeing if I can wedge it into an empty side bag.
If going into a gas station or restaurant 90% of the time I don't even snap the lock, I just hang the helmet there. I also have a magnetic tank bag someone could steal and often throw my jacket over top of the tank bag. I could be cleaned out by someone if they truly desired. I will lock it up if I leave it in a public parking lot like for a period of time, like a theater or something and of course carry everything into hotels.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Ferret said:
If going into a gas station or restaurant 90% of the time I don't even snap the lock, I just hang the helmet there.
Most of the time I never even take my helmet off at gas stops because it's modular. At most restaurants I'd just hang it on the peg on my handle bar. If I was going to be gone awhile with the bike out of sight I'd take the hat with me or put it in the side bag (if empty).

Now that I've got a Neo in brilliant yellow instead of black and there a Sena attached I'm a little concerned. I can easily pop the 20S off its cradle and put it in a pocket.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The guy I bought my 1300 from installed a Kuryakyn lock thusly
That is nothing short of brilliant. Had I seen that earlier I might have opted for that instead of the Guardian. Still I might use a crossover piece and coupler nuts for another project.

But I might recommend that to my ST buddy who only ever rides solo.

Thanks for that link! Gotta love a How-To that really shows you how-to with great pics!

Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I used a locking carabiner on my previous bike. I tried it on the ST and it works but not as well, so now I usually put it in my trunk case.

Top Bottom