Radiator Question

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi folks

The main thing I would change about my ST is the radiator, over here in the UK for at least a couple of weeks of the year we have a strange orange ball shaped thing in the sky that stops the rain!!!!, it also makes my bikes thermostat go up and down like a yo yo!.

Is there a fix for this problem ie fitting a better rad or a more efficient fan, did think about wiring a switch on the fan for when I'm in town which is when the bike is getting hot.

The bike is running bob on by the way, just one of those annoying little things.

cheers

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've got a 1300, and while I know they are different bikes (that share the same heritage) I've read nothing on this website in two years about the 1100's cooling system being deficient. Sure, 'stats fail, water pumps break, coolant needs to be replaced, and hoses dry out and crack, but all water cooled infernal combustion engines share these maladies.

Are you having problems or is this just a desire to improve matters?

Bike
VStrom 650
Chris,
It shouldn't be getting too hot in Wigan. The only time that mine got near the red zone was in 40 degree heat stuck in traffic in Italy.
It should stay at about a third up when riding in open air and only get just over half before the fan kicks in.
If it's getting warmer when that strange orange object appears then you need to make sure the fan is cutting in at the right time, if not it's probably the temp sensor. Your rad could also be blocked with 20 years worth of flies and general detritus on the inside or sludged up on the inside.
Hope it helps,
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The 1100 just works like that. Whenever you stop, or even slow down below about 30-40 the needle quickly climbs a little past vertical, the fan kicks in and it stops climbing or drops down just a little, back to vertical. Its normal.

So unless yours climbs further to the right, there's no problem to fix. If you want to hardwire a fan switch, the wires are easily accessible at the thermo switch in the radiator to put a manual switch in parallel with the thermo switch.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Thanks for the replies, the bike is working fine, just thought someone else might have looked at the problem, its more of a niggle than a fault.

Top Bottom