ST1300 common maintenance parts list?

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I don't know how to do this, where it would go (Technical? Articles?) or if this is even the right forum in which to make the suggestion. Mods, please move this to appropriate forum if needed.

Over the years I've seen mentioned many specific parts and part #'s that experienced members keep on the shelf for use when/as needed. Things like flange bearings, the O-ring that keeps the moly paste in in the rear wheel splines, the moly paste itself, valve cover gaskets, tupperware pins, etc. I've looked around, and don't see a compilation of common maintenance parts & supplies.

Is there's a way that this info could be brought together in something like a spreadsheet, article or wiki, and made a sticky?

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, depends on what 'common' means... every year, every xx,xxx miles...

I always keep crush washers for the oil drain bolt and final drive bolt.
I've done several valve checks on the ST1300s I had and just reused the valve cover.
Oil filters - I always had a couple of those on hand.
Flange bearings - I would change them every other or every third tire change as it's not hat difficult.
Never replace o-rings but never had any issues with them.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I like your idea, but until someone does that I find it quite easy to look up a part number using the Ron Ayers parts fiche webpage. Generally if I'm planning some maintenance I check the manual for what's needed, look up the parts in the fiche and order them from my local Honda shop. It's a one to two day turnaround for them to get parts in from the Honda Canada warehouse in Toronto for stuff that's not on the shelf.

Like Mellow I have on hand crush washers for the oil drain bolt, oil filters and spare push pins for the bodywork, because I always end up replacing one or two every time I dismantle something. But that's about it for me.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
Flange bearings - I would change them every other or every third tire change as it's not hat difficult.
Ok I know nothing about these except for the occasional post (which I sometimes skip) but— isn't that something like changing synthetic oil every 3,000mi? Or filters at every change (I do that) etc?

As I said I really have no clue about this but it's the first mention I've seen of this frequency.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ok I know nothing about these except for the occasional post (which I sometimes skip) but— isn't that something like changing synthetic oil every 3,000mi? Or filters at every change (I do that) etc?

As I said I really have no clue about this but it's the first mention I've seen of this frequency.
True, it's not necessary but my first ST1300 had a couple failures - I think the 2nd was due to a dealer installing incorrectly or badly and they failed before the next tire change so I got a bit trigger happy on them for the 2nd ST1300.. only one from my 1st bike did I ever pull and it was bad... the others were good so I should have just stopped there and only changed if I detected an issue.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put a document together back in April - containing the part numbers and photos of the parts required for the fairing. I usually have a good selection of these bits in stock.

Link Go to Post#1 to download the pdf file. Parts are on the back couple of pages of the pdf.

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Well, depends on what 'common' means... every year, every xx,xxx miles...

I always keep crush washers for the oil drain bolt and final drive bolt.
I've done several valve checks on the ST1300s I had and just reused the valve cover.
Oil filters - I always had a couple of those on hand.
Never replace o-rings but never had any issues with them.
Items commonly required to get to 100K mi. would be a good rule of thumb.

Common, as in high mortality. Example: I'd assign high mortality to flange bearings, judging by what I've read here.

Also, common as in consumable hardware. Example: brake pads and crush washers.

The post from jfheath and, especially, blrfl's stwiki list is what I have in mind, but in an easily-found sticky. Thank You gentlemen, for posting those!

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
slmjim there is no such thing as common and everything you read is because it happened. Most of the bearing weren't posted about because nothing happened to them. All my bearings in my wheels made it 200,000 miles. The flange bearings were going bad sometime after that but all other originals are still in the bike at 231,000 miles.

And the original crush washer is still on my bike so common is kind of uncommon. Don't buy too much to keep on hand, it might rust before you need it. I suggest you buy gas and burn it as much as you can!

Yes buy lots of crush washers, they are cheap and maybe some of the OCD feelings will subside HAHA!! Best thing to do with an ST1300 is ride and plan more rides. I've got a ride to US Mexico border planned in a week or so, you busy?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oil-Drain-Plug-Gaskets-for-Honda-Pack-of-20-94109-14000-Honda-Oil-Crush-Washer/502445677?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1768&adid=22222222227072802946&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=184016001030&wl4=pla-286734248773&wl5=9030650&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134590&wl11=online&wl12=502445677&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited:

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
slmjim there is no such thing as common and everything you read is because it happened. Most of the bearing weren't posted about because nothing happened to them. All my bearings in my wheels made it 200,000 miles. The flange bearings were going bad sometime after that but all other originals are still in the bike at 231,000 miles.

And the original crush washer is still on my bike so common is kind of uncommon. Don't buy too much to keep on hand, it might rust before you need it. I suggest you buy gas and burn it as much as you can!

Yes buy lots of crush washers, they are cheap and maybe some of the OCD feelings will subside HAHA!! Best thing to do with an ST1300 is ride and plan more rides. I've got a ride to US Mexico border planned in a week or so, you busy?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oil-Drain-Plug-Gaskets-for-Honda-Pack-of-20-94109-14000-Honda-Oil-Crush-Washer/502445677?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1768&adid=22222222227072802946&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=184016001030&wl4=pla-286734248773&wl5=9030650&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134590&wl11=online&wl12=502445677&wl13=&veh=sem

I haven't had much happen with my bike yet, but I'm only at 63,000 miles (I've slowed down the last few years). Basically just brake pads, fluid changes, air filters, plugs because they're there, a muffler clamp & bolts 'cuz I forgot to put anti-sieze on at tire changes, and the windshield motor. Splines still look nice even having the local shops do my tire changes.

But those washers are such a good deal, I'm tempted. At the Honda recommended oil change interval of 8K, that should make me good until 220K. Oh darn, I forgot it's the same washer on the rear end - maybe it'll only be 180K or so...

:D

Almost time to GO RIDE! to WeSTOC!

Bike
2010 ST1300

I read a thread here about swapping out the flange bearings for the second time at about 30K miles each (one rider's experience). Since I was in the throes of solving the 'clunk' noise in my final drive (replaced it w/ a used one from ebay), I opted to do that as well - changed all 4 rear wheel bearings. And then I read another post to that thread how these flange bearings lasted him well over 100K mi. Felt like a dope - but, I try to never look back. I should have realized wheel bearings seldom fail catastrophically, and when you hear noise, there is usually lots of time to get home and fix the problem.

Regardless, I too do more than a little preventive maintenance so I am not surprised on a trip.

Bike
2004 ST1300
At 32k miles the flange bearings on my 2004 aren't very smooth feeling compared the the wheel bearings. I noticed this at tire replacement time and also it's getting near to time to replace the rear brake pads. New flange bearings are on the shelf and soon will order up new pads (front and rear). Time for a maintainence day. Might as well do a brake/clutch fluid change then also.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Don't forget the three-way coolant tee on the right side of the engine by the valve cover. Mine cracked so it only let out steam until all of a sudden I was overheating the bike bad enough to boil my clutch fluid.
Maybe that is something we should all carry? Does it matter that I was doing a hundred miles per hour in 108 fahrenheit temp, LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

*Warning: Minor thread hijack !!

Mellow; are you a former concours.org guy (before the big split) ?? You look very familiar !!

Top Bottom