970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Re: It just followed me home the other day......

Man! That is THE cleanest garage I have ever seen. So jealous!
Oh sweet bikes too ;-)
The man has nothing better to do than organize and clean now that winter has set in!! :D

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

The man has nothing better to do than organize and clean now that winter has set in!! :D
Been getting bit of riding in as the weather this winter has been cooperating, but also getting some bike maintenance done and close to finishing the farkling on the little 300X adventure bike

Attachments

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles

what gorgeous backdrops for motorcycles

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #

J SW Moto tech crash guards, SWM side stand foot, OEM center stand, OEM 30 litre top box with matching color panel, OEM Hand guards, service manual, Powerlet 12v outlet
I am a day or so away from pulling the trigger on an ABS green Versys 300. I plan on keeping the ST but probably selling my lovingly modified XT225. I'm going to get a Russell Sport seat and a Madstad windshield right away.

How hard are the SW Moto tech crash guards to install? Also, Where did you mount the Powerlet, and what powerlet did you use? I need something for the battery maintainer and for the battery maintainer, but i also need a waterproof outlet to charge the phone.

I'm thinking this will be my regular go to bike for day rides, and the ST will be used for long distance interstate travel. I like the XT, but it is maxed out at 70, a popular speed with my riding buddies. This Versys can cruise comfortably at 75, or so they say.

I hope the Versys is still working out for you.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

I am a day or so away from pulling the trigger on an ABS green Versys 300. I plan on keeping the ST but probably selling my lovingly modified XT225. I'm going to get a Russell Sport seat and a Madstad windshield right away.

How hard are the SW Moto tech crash guards to install? Very easy, no problems at all Also, Where did you mount the Powerlet, and what powerlet did you use? Used a powerlet outlet/ BMW plug and mounted it where the 12 volt switched outet would go. Had to buy the relay for about 14 bucks, and make a collar as the factory hole is larger than the powerlet plug. I need something for the battery maintainer and for the battery maintainer, but i also need a waterproof outlet to charge the phone. Also ran a battery pigtail for my tender direct off the battery.

I'm thinking this will be my regular go to bike for day rides, and the ST will be used for long distance interstate travel. I like the XT, but it is maxed out at 70, a popular speed with my riding buddies. This Versys can cruise comfortably at 75, or so they say.

I hope the Versys is still working out for you.
SAM_3093.jpg SAM_3094.jpgSAM_3095.jpgSAM_3096.jpg300X.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I just realized the SW Motech has highway pegs as an option. I think I'm going to go that route.

Took delivery yesterday and as of right now I have 110 miles. I ordered the Madstad windshield, and I'll order the Russel sport seat tomorrow. I had some generic bar backs that worked pretty well, so I cancelled my Rox Riser order.

I asked the dealership to set the shock on the lowest setting. Instead they raised the forks around an inch and left the shock alone. I lowered the shock this morning. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I did bust a knuckle. I haven't had it at any sustained speed with this setup, but it sure does handle effortlessly.

I tightened every fastener I could find. I need to loosen and re torque the engine mounting bolts. I need to dig up the torque specs.

I went on and ordered the Mortor Werke 1" lowering link, but may or may not install it. if the seat pushes me up too far I'll put it on. If the seat settles at stock height, I may keep things as they are. I'll need to verify the 1 inch on the forks doesn't make it too "twitchy" at speed. Since this isn't a 100 mph bike, I'm guessing it will be fine. at least on the street. I don't imagine I'll do anything more off road that a gravel road.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Don't mind if I do!

On the trailer to get her home. The break in is so restrictive there is no way I could ride it on the highway right off the bat.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

Added Biker's Friend backrest and tightened every fastener I could get my hands on. Installed my Helite airbag lanyard, and put the rear spring on the lowest setting.

Had to stop for a latte!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
A little update...

Ordered a Russell, but the build date is August 15. I bought an Airhawk R to bridge the gap. Better than nothing, but it is not a Russell substitute.

Madstad windshield came in. Fits and looks great. I'm having a time getting it set up right. I bought an MRA X-Creeen Sport to help. I'm thinking all the way down, the most verticle, and the X-Creen to adjust the top wind blast. It is raining too much to try it today.

After 465 miles, I called good enough and let her rip to 10,000 rpm.

I'm going to like this bike. Easy 75-80 cruise. Smooth throttle for easy u turns. It is so easy to ride. Once I get the Russell and the Madstad adjusted, I think it will be good for some long days.

Centerstand came in. I'm going to try to mount it today. I'm going to try vice grips to set the spring. I do have a long screwdriver if that doesn't work.

I'm going to mount the stock relay and 12 volt power port. The relay activates 2 switched power sources somewhere, but I'm not sure where. One will go to the Kawasaki power port, and I'm thinking I can use the other one for my Skeen amber Photon Blaster. i also bought a Powerlet outlet I'm going to mount somewhere for unswitched power and charging.

I mounted some foam grip covers to make the grips a little thicker, and to help with any vibrations. So far it is pretty smooth.

I've got a Universal Givi topcase mount I'm going to pull off the XT before I sell it.

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
Mine is all OEM but for the leds, T-Rex skid plate, and Givi top box. Yeah, I know Kawi says no combo of panniers and top box...but a 300 lbs biker buddy is ok??? My advise for the panniers is go aftermarket, the OEM's are crap. I bought the bike as equipped used with 1200 mile on the clock. I like way better than my '17 CRF250L (that I rode off Dusk Point Mtn). I tried a Ricochet skid pan but took it off due to the tuning for harmonics it twanged. After a one hour ride my tinnitus was killing me. Ricochet was just the right frequency. The T-Rex is nowhere as beefy as the Ricochet but it works for my forest service road riding.IMG_0562.jpg

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Rode it about 6 hours yeaterday. Seat is breaking in nicely. I'm going to try to figure out how to mount highway pegs. I don't really want crash bars, but it may be the only way. I've seen some frame sliders for it. Maybe they can be converted to highway pegs somehow.

Top Bottom