Covers That Fit Over Top Case

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have one that I bought off ebay that covered everything, but only use it for when my 2012 is sitting idle (which right now is in pieces in my shed for a bunch of maintenance). Otherwise, I just use my Nelson-Rigg UV2000 that only covers the top half, so I can put it on my commuter bike while the exhaust is still hot.
What size is that 1/2 cover. It has to go over the top box too.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What size is that 1/2 cover. It has to go over the top box too.
I'm pretty sure the ones I buy are the XL. Also, I remove the four rear straps and have my wife sew on some short 1/2" webbing loops, that I put some 1/8" stretch cord thru and add hooks under the saddlebags to keep it tight over the bags!

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Aerostich Large. Covered my ST1300 with topcase, but I now use it on my BMW K1600GTS

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Reviving this to add another option. I've had a Nuzari cover for long enough now that it is noticeably sun faded. Meets all the specs provided: covers head to tail, with my top box (GIVI V46) in place, reaches to ground. Not a wrestling match or struggle to put on or remove. Has a securing strap I do not use to hold it in place in windy conditions. Has slits to enable threading a security cable if needed.

Mine is the size Large, I believe, and is actually somewhat too big when I pull the top box.

It seems to be plenty weather resistant though of course no fabric will be entirely waterproof, and they all degrade after prolonged sun and UV exposure. But so far (most of a season) it has held up well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
What about this. During winter I intend to store the ST in my dirt floor tent-shed. I wonder if I should lay down a sheet of plywood and a tarp. Then bring the tarp up against the cover to block out the dust.
I'm brand new to the touring cycle stuff.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
What about this. During winter I intend to store the ST in my dirt floor tent-shed. I wonder if I should lay down a sheet of plywood and a tarp. Then bring the tarp up against the cover to block out the dust.
I'm brand new to the touring cycle stuff.
Only if the cover is made from fabric that will breathe. Otherwise you will trap moisture in that small area. I would rather wash my bike than have to clean corrosion from it.

Neal

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
What's a good approach then? Cover on and surround it with critter repellent?
Your tent/shed is better than parked on an un-roofed back patio over your long, wet winters. I wouldn't leave the tires on the dirt for that long, a sturdy-enough sheet of plywood will help.
A waterproof, breathable cover is an excellent suggestion also. I found covers for mine at a local shop years back that have worked fine. They fit over the top box and windshield and strap to the tires close to the ground. Bought both to fit the ST1300 so they work well on the ST1100 also. Sorry...no company tag on them. I've had to leave the bikes on the back porch for extended periods (weeks) several times while working on other vehicles....and plumbing.... and needed the garage so the covers came in handy. Long way of saying you can find a cover that will fit for a decent price, start shopping Amazon and see what's available.
Might want to remove the battery if it isn't easy to use a battery tender of some sort. Your harsh winters are with you longer than down south.
Add a some fuel moisture absorber such as Seafoam to prevent moisture damage (rust) in your fuel system. Full tank of gas to limit the opportunity for moisture to intrude.
When you roll it out in the Spring, look under the plastic bodywork for evidence a rodent made the bike a home...usually between the tank and top of the engine. Might want to consider some method of mouse/squirrel deterrent.

Top Bottom