NUVIZ Fully Integrated Heads Up Display

Bike
2010 ST1300
You ought to email the developers. Save them a whole lot of time and money because they obviously haven't thought this through.
Or they are betting it will be quite a while before people feel comfortable with the car driving itself. Like GM food. But that is another issue entirely.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As it's a motorcycle helmet I seriously doubt self-driving cars will have any meaningful effect for several reasons:

•It's a motorcycle helmet.

•There are still the paranoid who'll no doubt conjure up scenarios where someone hack car's autonomy and begins a motorcyclist-killing rampage so a helmet especially with cellular capability will be appreciated.

•While the purist rider who only wants to here the purr of the motor and growl of the exhaust who's destiny and direction is solely guided by wind and serendipity is close to becoming a mythological beast there are a lot of riders who like music and communication and GPS. They would appreciate a compact devices with a unified UI.

•Truly autonomous self-driving cars are farther away than most people think. Truly affordable autonomous cars are even farther away. Their ubiquity even farther. The Tesla Model 3 at $32,000 will be closer to $40-$40,000 without government subsidies not to mention home infrastructure costs. Eventually costs will/may drop. But there's not much economy of scale at this point and not any time soon.

•While truly self-driving cars have some potential to greatly reduce death injury and collisions no mandatory motorcycle helmet law will be repealed.

•'Speaking' of law there's still a lot of bureaucracy that needs to be solved and those wheels will turn even slower than the advent the TASDC.

•It's a motorcycle helmet.

What will kill this device is to over promise and under deliver or not deliver at all. I recall two similar attempts at similar projects that never materialized.

I initially stated it was a little pricey. A subsequent post corrected me on that point and if this delivers as promised it could be a solid deal. There will be always be those for whom it will still be too expensive (just as with the TASDC) who'd prefer to spend the money on a gas tires and oil or radar detector.

There will likely be bugs that need to be squashed and refinements needed. IF that happens I could be in. The devil is in the details. As I'm usually a glass half-full sort I'll wait for a shipping product* before jumping to conclusions or throwing down the plastic.

*Of course that strategy didn't pay off for the STS device. But I'm still tempted.

*Checking the site I see it is a shipping product. Now to watch this space for a hands-on review.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
For those interested in the n u v i z kit the well written User Guide may answer some questions. It also has a fairly extensive Troubleshooting section. It's interesting reading. However it too gives absolutely no detail on installing the speakers.

It doesn't auto-download (at least for Mac OS) and I like that. Cmd-Shft-S will download the .pdf if desired. I keep a copy of user guides I might need on my phone in iBooks.

One last thing (for the moment!):
I see that it uses a 3250mAh 18650 Li-Ion battery. This is not your father's AA battery. In fact it's not an AA battery at all. So with a spare you can easily swap out batteries on the go. The only charging though is done in the unit with a user-supplied USB wall charger (1.2A recommended).

I'd probably use the unit a couple of times before deciding if I need a second battery. Adventure/camper types might want one and maybe a cradle to charge a battery outside of the unit.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I see that it uses a 3250mAh 18650 Li-Ion battery. This is not your father's AA battery. In fact it's not an AA battery at all. So with a spare you can easily swap out batteries on the go. The only charging though is done in the unit with a user-supplied USB wall charger (1.2A recommended).
Heck, at that rate you could tuck the charger under the seat or somewhere else convenient, swap the dead battery for the fresh one and keep riding. That would make un-wired a lot more palatable.

And yeah, 18650s are great batteries. They're a completely-standard design and you can get them in capacities closer to 4000 mAH these days.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And yeah, 18650s are great batteries. They're a completely-standard design and you can get them in capacities closer to 4000 mAH these days.
They're a popular power source for high-end LED flashlights. I've got one that uses it because the light has a micro-USB port for charging. All my other LED lights use A/AA/AAA Li-I batteries.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
For those concerned about their ability to focus on the display when it's that close to their eye, here's an easy little test you can take.

This is based on ST_Jim's info that the focus on the display is set at about 13 feet.

Take any hand held mirror and hold it in front of your eye (the right one, aka 'not the left'). The exact distance from your eye isn't that important since this is just a demonstration. Now . . . can you see things behind you that are reflected in the mirror? Things maybe 13 or more feet away?

If yes, you should be able to clearly see the heads-up display and what's beyond since it's translucent unlike the back of the mirror used for this test. :)

Shuey

OP
OP
garwil
Bike
2002 ST1100
I keep looking at how it is mounted, and I don't see why it cannot be mounted further left, so that you look with your left eye. It depends on whether you have a lower vent on your helmet which might be in the way.

Top Bottom