Gas Leak

My 99 had been sitting for 4 days while out of town-started it sunday afternoon and after running a few minutes noticed gas dripping on the floor pretty quickly-cut it off and let it sit a couple hours-started again and let it run but no leak. Started yesterday and today and let it run several minutes( could not ride because of steady rain)-no leak again. Any advice or suggestions ? Thanks

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Something stuck. Likely a float or excess fuel pressure forcing its way into a carb or four. Pour in some Seafoam and ride. That will usually, eventually remove sticky deposits in the carbs unless there is a lot of built up residue in the bowls.
Also could be the vent in the gas cap or attached hose.
Also...your vacuum operated shutoff valve could be sticking open. Combined with a warm engine, this will allow gas to be forced into the carbs after the fuel has warmed.

OP
OP
Thanks for the reply-will get the carbs checked out-have been putting startron and 93 octane gas since I got it a month ago-will try to ride as often as I can.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'd also vote for a float valve held slightly open by a piece of grit. Due to their operation/orientation, if you open the float bowl drain(s) there is a good chance the flow will flush any debris clear of the float needle. Might be a good time to change your fuel filter.

OP
OP
Well here is an update-my Honda guy has had my st for two months now-he says he has cleaned the carbs and checked the fuel filter. Twice he has said it was running perfectly but after starting it a couple times it started leaking gas again. He has found a little grit but he is still trying to find out where its coming from. Any suggestions would be welcome-thanks

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
You can skip the High octane, these ST1100s were made to run on regular gas, you don't need it and it doesn't run any better.

Top Bottom