Molybdenum paste application on final driven flange

Hello,
I just replaced my rear tire and also replaced the three o rings on the final driven flange and liberally lubed the final driven flange splines per the Mike Martin"s maintenance instructions. My question is this.....I applied M77 Honda paste to both sides of the thrust washer located between the wheel hub and the driven flange. In re-reading my maintenance book, I'm not sure the washer should have been lubed on both sides, and perhaps should simply have been placed on the greased hub face. Does this make any difference? Hoping I don't need to re-do things. Thanks

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Molybdenum past applicaion

According to the service manual, the moly paste goes on the following 3 surfaces:

1. the splines of the driven flange.
2. the I.D. of the driven flange, where it mates to the hub.
3. the O.D. of the hub, where the driven flange mates to it.

As far as if it makes any difference, my guess is no. I've never replaced any of those O-rings in 20 years, 108k miles, and I occasionally put moly on the splines when changing tires. I've never pulled the driven flange off the hub. I very rarely ride in the wet though, so that may be what has allowed me to get away with virtually zero maintenance on these items. Common wisdom on this forum seems to be if you don't maintain these items meticulously, change O-rings and moly with every tire, your splines will wear down to nubs in no time. My evidence suggests it might not be as critical as some claim, but its your call. Doubt that you need moly on the thrust washer though, since its not mentioned in the manual, but I don't know if it would be a negative since you've already done it.

Last edited:

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A

There's no harm in applying Moly to the Thrust washer. I do it all the time when I service my Valkyrie.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

I've never pulled the driven flange off the hub.
WHAT?? Over 100,000 miles and you have never replaced the rubber dampers and inserts?? I've averaged about 50,000 miles on a set of dampers.

I also lube the thrust washer both sides. If you have seen pics where the rubber dampers are totally shot, resulting in the spider twisting and wearing onto the hub, a little extra Moly on that thrust washer is a good idea. The only o-ring that I find needs changing, after a couple of tire changes usually, is the one on the hub under the spider.

Bike
2000 ST1100
My factory Honda manual, specifically says moly paste on the thrust washer and the other points mentioned. I say you're good to go. Chunk.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
My factory Honda manual, specifically says moly paste on the thrust washer and the other points mentioned. I say you're good to go. Chunk.
thanks for the correction, the step-by-step instructions don't mention it, but it does show up with an icon in the exploded parts diagram.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

WHAT?? Over 100,000 miles and you have never replaced the rubber dampers and inserts?? I've averaged about 50,000 miles on a set of dampers.
I think this is probably something that wears gradually so you don't realize how much they need to be replaced until you do it. I think I remember Jeff B. mentioning that years ago, after he changed them out he was amazed at how much better it felt with the new ones. I put so few miles on the bike I just ride it the way it is. Not planning on keeping it for a lot more miles, so we'll see if it survives until I'm ready to get rid of the bike.

Bike
2000 ST1100
thanks for the correction, the step-by-step instructions don't mention it, but it does show up with an icon in the exploded parts diagram.
Oh, I wasn't intending to correct you, i just didn't want the fellow to tear it back apart and wipe off the moly that is supposed to be there, cheers.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
You sound like one of those guys who never changes oil and keeps running the car til it blows up.
Nah, but I'm nowhere near as meticulous about maintenance as many of you. I've kept cars running over 200k miles, this is my second bike with over 100k miles. I do the important stuff on schedule, and let some of the other stuff slide, and haven't really noticed it to be a problem.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Nah, but I'm nowhere near as meticulous about maintenance as many of you. I've kept cars running over 200k miles, this is my second bike with over 100k miles. I do the important stuff on schedule, and let some of the other stuff slide, and haven't really noticed it to be a problem.
I agree that many people are a little OCD when it comes to maintenance. I'm a little like that as I get older I guess for some reason? :) It does pay off when my equipment rarely brakes down and runs as well as it can ,but I hear and see others do very little to their machines and they keep chugging along too. Who's doing the right thing? To each their own....

Bike
2000 ST1100
I agree that many people are a little OCD when it comes to maintenance. I'm a little like that as I get older I guess for some reason? :) It does pay off when my equipment rarely brakes down and runs as well as it can ,but I hear and see others do very little to their machines and they keep chugging along too. Who's doing the right thing? To each their own....
If you want to see some guys that are OCD about spline lubing, pop over to an airhead list. Both transmission and rear drive splines. Motorcycle maintenance can get obsessive, i try to find a balance, but doing a spline lube at tire time seems about right, it's already apart why not. I was going to wait to do my new to me ST, maybe 2k more miles i will need a tire, but i couldn't stand the thought that it might need it so i did it last Sunday. It was well lubed, but i cleaned it up and reapplied new moly. Guess i do like to tinker on bikes. Cheers.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Then there are those that enjoy wrenching for it's own sake.

And those who think of it as a necessary evil.

Bike
2001 ST1100
Just wondering how much moly to put on. I did my rear tire and put moly in the rear spline. I would say that I painted it on so that it covered everything in an even coat. How much do folks put on?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Just wondering how much moly to put on. I did my rear tire and put moly in the rear spline. I would say that I painted it on so that it covered everything in an even coat. How much do folks put on?
Hard to quantify that, but if you coated all required surfaces with enough to just cover them, that is good. It will be evident to you on the next tire change if you used too much, as it will be flung about over the entire hub area.

Top Bottom