When I squeeze the front brake handle it isn't smooth

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
It's not like a squeak it's like going down a waterslide without water it kind of moves in intermittently as I squeeze it, it's not smooth.
I'm sure some kind of lubrication on the piston that goes into the master cylinder will help I just wondered if anybody else had an issue while squeezing the brake that it wasn't smooth either.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Disassemble the handle and pivot, clean and lube. Works wonders......:poPoST1:

ToddC

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
What you are describing could be a couple different things.
As Todd pointed out, the first thing to do would be to remove the lever, clean and lubricated the pivoting points, check to see if the rubber grommet (boot) is damaged (replace if needed) and replace the brass bushing in the lever, and lubricate all the moving parts with a rubber friendly silicone grease.
More importantly, it sounds like your brake fluid has given up the ghost and needs to be serviced (flushed & bled) properly.
It sounds like you have a lot of air in your brake system.
Igofar

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Disassemble the handle and pivot, clean and lube. Works wonders......:poPoST1:

ToddC
I should have mentioned I don't believe it to be that bolt. I believe it is while the lever compresses the piston.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
What you are describing could be a couple different things.
As Todd pointed out, the first thing to do would be to remove the lever, clean and lubricated the pivoting points, check to see if the rubber grommet (boot) is damaged (replace if needed) and replace the brass bushing in the lever, and lubricate all the moving parts with a rubber friendly silicone grease.
More importantly, it sounds like your brake fluid has given up the ghost and needs to be serviced (flushed & bled) properly.
It sounds like you have a lot of air in your brake system.
Igofar
With a recent caliper rebuild and new brake fluid, that wasn't the suspect. I will try to lubricate the bolt first. It doesn't seem like that's it, but hey, it's what we all investigate things for in the first place.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Solved. My rubber insert does need replaced but a little rubber friendly lubrication inside there is just what I needed, thanks. now to test the Audiovox cruise control.

Top Bottom