Another side stand question

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Hi all, I had my side stand off to weld a slightly larger shoe on. The shoe is 6mm thick (bit less than 1/4").

I like the end product. It doubles the original shoe area, is very neat, and makes the ST stand just a little bit higher when on the side stand - good!

One question please: When I replaced the side stand I noticed there is a 'lot' of free play if I push the side stand in towards the bike, and out. (while ST is on the C Stand) I was thinking I may have dropped a shim somewhere. Would a kind ST 'er check the in and out the play of the side stand with ST on C stand?

I would appreciate it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine has about 10 mm of play and there is no shim. It does seem like a lot but I think it's normal.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If my bike is on the CS, and the sidestand is deployed, I can push down on the SS and it moves laterally (as the arm pivots downward) about 1/4 to 3/8" inward. I think its always been this way. The spring keeps it pulled out and solid. Bike has always been rock solid on the SS. Normal? Not sure who cares what I think about this, and since the bike is stable, who cares?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Did you make sure you replaced the springs correctly, with the ends facing each other?
A trick I've always used to remove and replace springs, is to insert a small screwdriver blade in the first coil then put a penny in there, then move to the next, and the next, until the spring simply lifts off the posts.
To replace the springs, you simply hold it in place, and remove the pennies one at a time.
Beats the heck out of trying to lever things and scratching stuff up.
And yes, the side stands all have a little play as yours does.
Folks who put of different rear springs or shocks, find out that the bike leans way over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thank you. Yes I think I have replaced the springs correctly. I will investigate to confirm.
A great idea with the penny, and yes, I did make a few tiny scratches on the smaller spring but none elsewhere. Will check orientation.
Cheers D.

Top Bottom