Inexpensive Bluetooth Review BT-S2

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I Kinda like buying a Garmin GPS, vs using your phone or a Chinese GPS.
My cheap Chinese GPS systems that I use has the same warranty as the Garmin. :D And they do follow up and fix them although the postage is on you. BTW does Garmin pay for return postage? I understand the price point well - for what a ZUMO of the day costs new, I can buy 3-5 Chinese GPS systems. And the ones I have are still working well unlike the rental ZUMO550 that died with a cradle failure. It appears to be the same with this unit - it's just a matter of how you want to spend the money. Good, bad or indifferent most electronics seem to be made in China and those manufacturers don't mind copying someone else's technology for sure! ;-) We live in a 'if it breaks, toss it' society now (my dad was a TV repairman at one point in the old days), so many companies are keen on the price point.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
My cheap Chinese GPS systems that I use has the same warranty as the Garmin
Those Chinavasion GPSs seem to have a pretty decent track record so I'm not at all opposed to trying one out. Just in spending any money at the moment.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Before I switched to Sena I used a BT unit that was very inexpensive it did not work anywhere near as well as the Sena units do. I haven't tried one of these units and don't need to as my 20s units work flawlessly. If these units work well for you that's great. My Sena has been in many rain storms and has never had a problem caused by water. Nothing wrong with trying out a new product and price point does not always indicate quality. Let us know how these are working in 6-12 months.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SteveST1300 said:
Let us know how these are working in 6-12 months.
That's where the rubber meets the road. Sometimes a bargain product surprises and does the unexpected— performs as well as an expense big-name brand at a fraction of the cost. Other times you become painfully aware of why the 'bargain' price.

I'm very happy with my 20S. If I could have found the same performance and quality for less that would have been great. But that often involves more trial/error/expense than I care to experience. But I do appreciate those who boldly go where I don't care to spend. :)

Bike
04 ST1300
I saw a video of this product on you tube and was impressed. It can work with google maps, take phone calls, rider to passenger communication and communication between to bikes. Although in the communication feature you cannot communicate with the passenger an another biker at the same time. You have to switch between the two. Still or $30 its a good deal.

How does this compare to the Sena. Are there features in the Sena that are not here and are a must have.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Kinda like buying a Garmin GPS, vs using your phone or a Chinese GPS.
I resemble that remark! I have a Garmin GPS (several, actually, because they always brick).

So, I use a cell phone: The maps and features are persistently up to date. It picks better routes. It has a simpler interface. It's faster.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I got a good phone bracket (Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze) to mount my Pixel, so shortly I'll be able to compare it to my 2730. I don't currently have the ability to listen to both at the same time though - just swap my earphone plug around. Kinda waiting to decide what to do re: BT intercoms, so it isn't worth my getting an Amplirider or MixIt2, or a BT TX adapter for the 2730. (Note with a smartphone GPS you need to either download google map sections, or use another map app with downloadable maps.)

So anyone here have experiences with the Sena 20S? There is a Facebook group devoted to *****ing about it - seems mostly degraded audio issues related to multi-rider connections. Some of them are jumping ship to Cardo Scala PackTalk. Not sure whether the 20S Evo fixes those issues, or the yet-to-ship 30K (which is supposed to support mesh properly).

The whole thing makes me want to bail and go with the cheap BT-S2, but I don't think I can get it delivered prior to WeSToc departure next week. Maybe the Colorado guy on Amazon, but he's $20 more, plus extra for fast shipping. I think I'll wait. ;-)

Re: Chinese GPS. I'm not opposed to it. I just like the Garmin ecosystem. I'm sure I can get other devices to deal with .gdb files, etc, but I'd have to learn. And despite my being an EE, I'm getting more irritated with having to decipher translated IFU's as I get older. The new Garmin prices are pretty bad though, considering there's so much competition.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I resemble that remark! I have a Garmin GPS (several, actually, because they always brick).

So, I use a cell phone: The maps and features are persistently up to date. It picks better routes. It has a simpler interface. It's faster.
I replaced my 2730's touchscreen once. Unfortunately the coating on the replacement results in slightly less contrast in sunlight. But at least it works. the replacement started acting up again, but a cleaning around the perimeter fixed it. Mine has never totally bricked, but I've heard that about the newer Zumo's.

I'm going to try out my Google Pixel XL. Although it isn't totally waterproof, it should work nicely otherwise.

Do you have a favorite map app? Google Maps seems somewhat painful to me to download different map sections for off-network use. I've got "MAPS.ME", but haven't warmed up to it yet.

OP
OP
Daniel
A few points:

At this price point, truly "waterproof" does seem far fetched. However, the unit is cased in a rubber skin, and I believe the only seam is the plate on the back, which doesn't seem like it should be difficult to seal. So, I would not be surprised if this is in fact waterproof up to everything short of maybe dropping it a bucket of water.

Although I believe both the technology, and components are similar to a Sena (or any other brands for that matter), it's obviously not a direct knock off. I have no experience with the Senas or any other brands, but the Sena has a dial, and this unit does not. I doubt the components used are the same quality as the name brands, including the internal components(chips, battery...etc.). ALL of this stuff, including Sena, is manufactured in China, most likely Taiwan. But, so is your iphone. As far as how it will perform in 6 months or a year, I suppose that is to be determined. For how often I now ride, and the fact I probably won't use this often, I would expect mine to last as long as the battery holds a charge.

I was also surprised by the GPS comment(s). I've never owned a GPS until I got my first smart phone about 5 years ago. I now have a Galaxy S6. I don't see how my S6 with Google Maps could be improved . It is perfect as far as I can tell. Not only has it gotten me where I've needed to go every single time, it also tells me, to the minute, when I will arrive. I see absolutely no reason to own a Garmin, in fact, I can't believe there is still a market for them.

This was never meant to imply this meets the same standards as Sena, or others. As I originally posted, I started out looking for something in my helmet to allow me to hear my GPS. Anything additional really is a bonus. If others have the same experience with this unit similar to mine, I don't see how anyone could complain about the features/performance to cost ratio. I got that helmet from Chaparral on closeout for $90. Add the $30 for the bluetooth and I think I have a hot set up for $120 all in. After about an hours work to modify the foam (long story), and install the BT unit, I have a helmet that fits perfect and had some decent BT features. Obviously I am not the guy that is going to spend anything in the $200 range for a Sena.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The problem with a cellphone GPS is that, at least out here in the west, there are large areas that are out of cellular data coverage. My usual go-to, Google Maps, requires data unless you remember to download the maps for the areas you intend to ride ahead of time. Google Maps requires you to draw a zoom box around the area you want to download, and it only gets so big. So I have to do California in lots of chunks. It would be nicer if I could simply tell it to download California and Nevada for my upcoming ride to Reno.

And does Google maps have an easy way to load a .gdb route into it? Someone has probably figured out the workflow, but I don't think kml's serve the same purpose.

The other smartphone issue is the touchscreen doesn't work with normal gloves. Yes, you can get a conductive solution to apply to the fingertips, or get special gloves. I'll probably take my stylus along on a retractable holder - that seems to work also. And I have to connect my charger cable to get the screen to stay on - so I'll need a powerlet converter of some sort.

Gee, maybe this IS getting as expensive as a dedicated GPS, at least the Chinavision ones!

OP
OP
Daniel
The problem with a cellphone GPS is that, at least out here in the west, there are large areas that are out of cellular data coverage. My usual go-to, Google Maps, requires data unless you remember to download the maps for the areas you intend to ride ahead of time. Google Maps requires you to draw a zoom box around the area you want to download, and it only gets so big.............
Interesting. Never really thought about it. Not really an issue here in the mid-atlantic (I live in the Philly burbs) . I never knew I could download the data for google maps ahead of time. I would imagine that significantly improves the performance/speed of the device. Approx how much drive space would be used for the data you are downloading and taking along?

My bike came with the MCLarry bar risers with the 12v auto socket. I have an auto 12v adapter and I have a 1 foot usb cable. It reaches my RAM mount and charges the phone, even with google maps loaded and the screen on full bright.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Sorry for the thread hi-jack to gps, but it seems related.

Google maps seems to grab in about 120mB chunks. But if I want the whole state of California it'll easily be GB's. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know exactly - waiting to get home on my wi-fi so I don't use up my cell data for this month (2GB plan!) If I'm careful and exclude SF, South LA, Orange county, etc, it may be a little better.

The usual map apps, and garmin, tend to have more space efficient databases. I don't know why google is so big unless it carries a lot more businesses info. But when I'm in a city I almost certainly have cell coverage, so I could explicitly not download the big data areas.

I've got powerlet sockets on my bike now. One on the MCL Bar Risers for my GPS, and a pair next to the pre-load knob I use for my heated vest. I've got a powerlet to USB, and a powerlet to cigarette adapter, so I have means. They just aren't in optimal locations for a bars mounted phone.

The other disadvantage is the phone is in a bit of a vulnerable spot, sticking up from the bars, in the event of an accident. It might be beneficial to stash it in a more protected area, or maybe on my person.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jim - The Chinavasion GPS systems using IGO or PRIMO software use KML files as their route files. GPSBABEL (Freeware) converts pretty much any GPS format to any other GPS format. When I went to New Zealand, I used a free addon to Mapsource to plan the routes for there, then GPSBABEL to convert them to KML files for the GPS. In the States, I use Microsoft Streets & Trips and convert the EST files to KML files for the GPS. I wrote a VB program that does it all in a couple of clicks. If you put a bunch of routes in one folder, it will convert them all in one click (invokes GPSBABEL to convert and then copies them down to the GPS). BTW, the program I wrote is free to anyone that wants it.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I see absolutely no reason to own a Garmin, in fact, I can't believe there is still a market for them.
Two reasons:
One, always available maps. If you download ahead of time you can use the phone wherever you go, provided you downloaded ahead of time, and you don't deviate from the original route too much. But if a big storm system rolls in and I'm on a just out for a wander around the country ride, I may be heading to states I wasn't originally planning.
Two, the overall interface. While cruising along the highway I can find a gas station, an exit with multiple choices of gas stations (competition for lower prices), a place to stay or dinner in a fraction of the time on my dedicated GPS then I can on my phone.

Now on the flip side I use the phone for in-ear turn-by-turn directions. Something my gps won't due (non-Zumo).

So one a long trip, I carry both. The GPS is on top the dash so I can plan food/fuel stops and get a view of the road ahead when riding the twisties. The phone is on the handlebars for more intricate searches and audible turn indications when I am in town and don't want to look at the GPS screen. Plus the phone (with Waze) gets better traffic and routing then my GPS does.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My Hondo PS grip should be in today's mail! :-D For longer rides I use NAVIGON a Garmin iOS app for my phone. I recently downloaded the map for CA and it was under 300mb. It's a full featured nav app with POIs and everything.

Apple use vector graphics so data hits at very small, but granted that could be inconvenient.u

Last edited:
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I still prefer to have a dedicated GPS when traveling. My phone maps are great, but I'm consistently frustrated when calls or texts or other things pop up when I'm trying to navigate.
A phone is just too busy with other things going on. I've missed more than one freeway exit because of this.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I was investigating these headsets yesterday. I don't understand which would be better.
The BT-S2
or the vnetphone V6
Prices are similar, but it appears the V6 can pair with more headsets.
Does anyone know more about the V6?

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
And back to the original thread...
I purchased a pair of the BT-S2's in February and had the usual 2 month shipping. I think the pair came to about $85 Cdn. I had the earlier version BT- 1? and they still actually work (after 5 years) but I broke a mount off the back of one and we had lost one earpiece (our fault) and were going to a helmet upgrade for my girlfriend. It took a couple of times before we got the synching down pat. Communication rider to passenger is just great up to about 90 kph and then dicey. Answering the phone and being intelligible is good to about 70-80 kph. Music is fine bluetoothed from the phone until about 100 kph (I rarely listen to much anyway). I have not synched it to the TomTom yet. I did 2 x 3 hr. stints in pouring rain in the past two weeks as well as countless runs to work in drizzle in the past 3 month. No issues.
I'm pleased at that price. The only thing I do not like is that the headset/mic connector is a specialty number. I had already bought generic headset/mic replacements that would have worked on the older BT units. Darn.

Top Bottom