Thread: Inexpensive Bluetooth Review BT-S2

In the Hotel California... ST_Jim's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 ST1300ABS
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Inexpensive Bluetooth Review BT-S2

The problem with a cellphone GPS is that, at least out here in the west, there are large areas that are out of cellular data coverage. My usual go-to, Google Maps, requires data unless you remember to download the maps for the areas you intend to ride ahead of time. Google Maps requires you to draw a zoom box around the area you want to download, and it only gets so big. So I have to do California in lots of chunks. It would be nicer if I could simply tell it to download California and Nevada for my upcoming ride to Reno.

And does Google maps have an easy way to load a .gdb route into it? Someone has probably figured out the workflow, but I don't think kml's serve the same purpose.

The other smartphone issue is the touchscreen doesn't work with normal gloves. Yes, you can get a conductive solution to apply to the fingertips, or get special gloves. I'll probably take my stylus along on a retractable holder - that seems to work also. And I have to connect my charger cable to get the screen to stay on - so I'll need a powerlet converter of some sort.

Gee, maybe this IS getting as expensive as a dedicated GPS, at least the Chinavision ones!
    ST_Jim - K6JH - Simi Valley, CA - http://jimhenke.smugmug.com/
    2004 ST1300ABS - STOC#4829 - Thanks for nuking my photos WebShots!

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Jim View Post
    The problem with a cellphone GPS is that, at least out here in the west, there are large areas that are out of cellular data coverage. My usual go-to, Google Maps, requires data unless you remember to download the maps for the areas you intend to ride ahead of time. Google Maps requires you to draw a zoom box around the area you want to download, and it only gets so big.............
    Interesting. Never really thought about it. Not really an issue here in the mid-atlantic (I live in the Philly burbs) . I never knew I could download the data for google maps ahead of time. I would imagine that significantly improves the performance/speed of the device. Approx how much drive space would be used for the data you are downloading and taking along?

My bike came with the MCLarry bar risers with the 12v auto socket. I have an auto 12v adapter and I have a 1 foot usb cable. It reaches my RAM mount and charges the phone, even with google maps loaded and the screen on full bright.

In the Hotel California... ST_Jim's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 ST1300ABS
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Sorry for the thread hi-jack to gps, but it seems related.

Google maps seems to grab in about 120mB chunks. But if I want the whole state of California it'll easily be GB's. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know exactly - waiting to get home on my wi-fi so I don't use up my cell data for this month (2GB plan!) If I'm careful and exclude SF, South LA, Orange county, etc, it may be a little better.

The usual map apps, and garmin, tend to have more space efficient databases. I don't know why google is so big unless it carries a lot more businesses info. But when I'm in a city I almost certainly have cell coverage, so I could explicitly not download the big data areas.

I've got powerlet sockets on my bike now. One on the MCL Bar Risers for my GPS, and a pair next to the pre-load knob I use for my heated vest. I've got a powerlet to USB, and a powerlet to cigarette adapter, so I have means. They just aren't in optimal locations for a bars mounted phone.

The other disadvantage is the phone is in a bit of a vulnerable spot, sticking up from the bars, in the event of an accident. It might be beneficial to stash it in a more protected area, or maybe on my person.
    Last edited by ST_Jim; 08-17-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Jim - The Chinavasion GPS systems using IGO or PRIMO software use KML files as their route files. GPSBABEL (Freeware) converts pretty much any GPS format to any other GPS format. When I went to New Zealand, I used a free addon to Mapsource to plan the routes for there, then GPSBABEL to convert them to KML files for the GPS. In the States, I use Microsoft Streets & Trips and convert the EST files to KML files for the GPS. I wrote a VB program that does it all in a couple of clicks. If you put a bunch of routes in one folder, it will convert them all in one click (invokes GPSBABEL to convert and then copies them down to the GPS). BTW, the program I wrote is free to anyone that wants it.
    Last edited by Uncle Phil; 08-18-2017 at 03:45 AM.

97 ST1100 STD +146,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +110,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +60,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

5. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I see absolutely no reason to own a Garmin, in fact, I can't believe there is still a market for them.
    Two reasons:
    One, always available maps. If you download ahead of time you can use the phone wherever you go, provided you downloaded ahead of time, and you don't deviate from the original route too much. But if a big storm system rolls in and I'm on a just out for a wander around the country ride, I may be heading to states I wasn't originally planning.
    Two, the overall interface. While cruising along the highway I can find a gas station, an exit with multiple choices of gas stations (competition for lower prices), a place to stay or dinner in a fraction of the time on my dedicated GPS then I can on my phone.

Now on the flip side I use the phone for in-ear turn-by-turn directions. Something my gps won't due (non-Zumo).

So one a long trip, I carry both. The GPS is on top the dash so I can plan food/fuel stops and get a view of the road ahead when riding the twisties. The phone is on the handlebars for more intricate searches and audible turn indications when I am in town and don't want to look at the GPS screen. Plus the phone (with Waze) gets better traffic and routing then my GPS does.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

7. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

My Hondo PS grip should be in today's mail! For longer rides I use NAVIGON a Garmin iOS app for my phone. I recently downloaded the map for CA and it was under 300mb. It's a full featured nav app with POIs and everything.

Apple use vector graphics so data hits at very small, but granted that could be inconvenient.u
    Last edited by ST Gui; 08-18-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Bike
    07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
    My Gallery

I still prefer to have a dedicated GPS when traveling. My phone maps are great, but I'm consistently frustrated when calls or texts or other things pop up when I'm trying to navigate.
    A phone is just too busy with other things going on. I've missed more than one freeway exit because of this.
    -Steve in Phx.
    Current: 2007 FJR1300AE, 2000 XR650L
    Lost Loves: 2011 DL650 VStrom, 2003 ST1300A, Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, Honda Shadow VT500C, Honda Nighthawk CB700SC, KLR600, Yamaha TT500

Bike
    07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
    My Gallery

I was investigating these headsets yesterday. I don't understand which would be better.
    The BT-S2
    or the vnetphone V6
    Prices are similar, but it appears the V6 can pair with more headsets.
    Does anyone know more about the V6?

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234