Inexpensive Bluetooth Review BT-S2

I have my phone mounted on a RAM Mount just below my field of vision when I need my GPS. I never wanted a GPS on my bike because I fear I will take my eyes off of the road for more than a quarter second, and stare at the thing when I need it. That was the main reason I wanted bluetooth headset in my new helmet ( Vemar Jiano EVO TC ). I wanted the audible instructions in my ears from Google Maps to eliminate the need to look at the phone.

I saw this unit for $30 on amazon, and after some searching, I was surprised how many positive reviews I found, so I figured it was worth a try. If it only provided what I described above I would have been happy. However, this really is a nice little unit. It installed relatively easy in my helmet. The velcro that is on the backs of the speakers and the mic mount stick pretty well to the existing lining in my helmet, eliminating the need to use the provided stick on velcro pads. Routing the wires for the speakers and mic behind the helmet lining and removable cheek pads was not difficult, and made for a very clean install. There is a clip provided to attach the unit itself to the outside of the helmet, but I used velcro, for 2 reasons. One, I don't plan to use this all the time, and second, I want to be able to easily romove it and take it inside to charge, without having to take the helmet to the charger.

I really am impressed with it's performance. The biggest complaint I found in the reviews is the volume does not get loud enough to overcome wind noise. On the ST1300 this isn't really an issue. Also, it gets plenty loud enough for me, and I would be concerned about hearing damage if I were able to make it any louder. I believe at least some of the reviewers who mentioned this do not have the speaker positioned for optimal performance. I noticed when mounting/positioning my speakers, a small adjustment made a big difference in both volume and quality of the sound. I have tested it pretty thoroughly over the past couple weeks. I have played music from my phone, used the GPS, and received a couple of calls. For music, it's fine for me. It's not Bose quality sound, but about the same as the other (soundpeats) bluetooth ear buds I use when cutting my lawn. The GPS will break in while music is playing to give turn by turn instructions, the music will then continue right where it left off when the GPS is finished. Phone calls are also impressive. The boom mic works very well, my wife says I come through crystal clear, said she would never know I was travelling 80mph on a motorcycle while talking to her. I was also able to hear her very well.

The unit also has FM radio which I did not test and would never use. I only have the one unit (for now) so I can not test the helmet to helmet communication, but from the many reviews I have read, and youtube video I watched, it seems as if this feature also works very well. The youtube video I watched it was being used as bike to bike communication with the other biker having a Sena unit. I plan to buy another to install in my wife's helmet, although I am fearful it wont be long before I regret that !
20170731_204741.jpgBTS2-1000m-Waterproof-Wireless-Bluetooth-Intercom-FM-Radio-Interphone-for-Motorcycle-Helmet-Ora.jpeg

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thanks for the review.

Do you wear any sort of hearing protection when riding? If so, it sounds as though the Bluetooth unit still makes itself heard adequately?

OP
OP
Daniel
IB2HF,

No, I have never used hearing protection, I've never felt I've needed it. I have been riding 30+ years, but have always worn a full face helmet, and with the exception of the few early years, I've always been behind a substantial shield.

This thing gets pretty loud. It is unbearable to me at full volume when riding below 60mph. For music, I generally keep it at 3/4 volume unless I am up around 80mph. Then it goes all the way up, not necessarily for music, but for GPS or phone call voice. I was (pleasantly) surprised I can still hear road and bike noise with music playing, I feel more safe.

I have some disposable 3M ear plugs I use for shooting. I'll try to remember to bring a pair with me next time I go for a ride.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
That would be my only concern. I a have tinnitus, so I always have foam plugs in when riding. However, at $30, I might try it anyway. Thanks for the writeup.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
$50 on Amazon at the moment. Probably fluctuates.

Might try it at $30. The Bluetooth in my Scala does not want to link up with stuff. Likely an older, different version?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Looks good - I just ordered one for my spare helmet - also a full face.

FWIW - I use a Scala Rider 3 on my main helmet and it works very well.

Interestingly, I use the FM radio all the time and I really like it. When I'm preparing for a long trip, I go online to find out which radio stations I am likely to encounter (I usually listen to our CBC-One network which is public affairs and news) and then I program them into the Rider unit's six pre-sets so that I can switch quickly to the next station as I go up the road. It's a very handy capability.

If I want music or the radio is out of range, I just switch over to my iTunes account and listen to my own playlist. This whole Bluetooth helmet sound system has made motorcycling a much less solitary venture for me - unless I want solitude, in which case, I just turn it off.

Cheers, and thanks for the tip on this inexpensive system. I'll report back on how it works out.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel
I just checked, the Amazon vendor from who I purchased this for 29.99 (Banghy) now has it listed for $59.99

granlund1 seems have posted the winner right now from Gearbest, but be sure to order a US plug charger (assuming you live in the US ). I only mention this because the EU plug version is highlighted by default in the link provided. Even if this is overlooked and the wrong charge is shipped, no big deal, any low amperage charger will work.

MaxPete, I have no tolerance or patience for commercials in my old age (50). My time left on this earth is limited, and my time is more and more valuable. Between the hundreds of songs on my phone, On Demand, my DVR, and Kodi, I almost never see or hear commercials. Only commercials I am now exposed to are from watching news or live sports.

I am anxious to see your input after trying this unit.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If this can be paired to a Sena was asked multiple times in the FAQ on the Gearbest site. Every time the vendor replied that it cannot be paired with a Sena. In your review you stated that it can be paired with a Sena as a bike-to-bike communicator. This is what I would be interested in it for- as a bike-to-bike specifically with a Sena 20S. I'll poke around on the web to see if I can find out but in the mean time does anyone know for sure if this is possible?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Thank you so much for posting this.

I've always wondered about the myriad of "cheap" helmet comm systems on Amazon. I've been intrigued. I'm glad to see that this is Sena compatible, too.

Although, I suspect that the innards of this unit are identical to a Sena. They probably just change to a generic case at the factory and the price you pay doesn't reflect the fancy marketing bill.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
They probably just change to a generic case at the factory and the price you pay doesn't reflect the fancy marketing bill.
But what is their support like is there firm ware updates etc. Sena provides all that and a phone app as well so you can configure it.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
But what is their support like is there firm ware updates etc. Sena provides all that and a phone app as well so you can configure it.
I would hazard a guess that most people who are buying a $35 communicator aren't expecting to get that level of sophistication anyway and really don't care that much about those things or they wouldn't be buying a $35 communicator. I do find it curious, considering that a communicator is intended to be used in and exposed to all kinds of weather, that a manufacturer who makes a $35 communicator can manage to make it waterproof and yet Sena, at 6 or 7 times the price can't do any better than water resistant. It will be interesting to see how these items actually perform considering the price differential between them and Sena.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I would hazard a guess that most people who are buying a $35 communicator aren't expecting to get that level of sophistication anyway and really don't care that much about those things or they wouldn't be buying a $35 communicator.
You're tracking me!

If someone were willing to hack open a Sena S20, and hack open one of these cheap models next to it, I bet the circuits inside are practically identical. They're all made in China. There isn't a "Sena Factory" in China, after all. It's an electronics factory that sends the same product to different manufacturers. They add their own case and logo, add on the cost of warranties, advertisement and tech support, and charge accordingly.

For me, I'd almost rather take my chances on the generic version, and replace it three times over the cost of calling Sena support, waiting for diagnosis, receiving an RMI number, paying to ship my headset to them, waiting a few weeks for the diagnosis and repair, and receiving it back at the end of riding season.

I can just get another cheap one from Amazon in 2 days time. Now THAT'S tech support. :)

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I do find it curious, considering that a communicator is intended to be used in and exposed to all kinds of weather, that a manufacturer who makes a $35 communicator can manage to make it waterproof and yet Sena, at 6 or 7 times the price can't do any better than water resistant. It will be interesting to see how these items actually perform considering the price differential between them and Sena.
If the communicator fails in the rain, the manufacturer of the $35 communicator says they will fix it for you, but you have to ship it to China at a cost of $35 (not as cheap shipping in that direction!) Do you actually get it fixed or just buy another? Their waterproof claim is just that, and it doesn't translate into a cost for warranty returns.

When you have a $300 Sena, they know you will send it in for repair. So they don't claim it's waterproof, even though it's probably as good as or better than the $35 unit.

Having a big user base and people you can ask for help is worth something. Kinda like buying a Garmin GPS, vs using your phone or a Chinese GPS.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My point is that regardless of the claim I don't expect a $35 communicator to be perfectly waterproof. If it turns out to be- bonus! But I do expect a $300 communicator that is intended and designed as an outdoor piece of equipment to be able to be used outdoors as intended. Waterproof should be a basic criteria that should be met in the Sena price range. Sena should be embarrassed. If you are going to ask premium prices you should be able to provide a communicator that meets this minimum standard- and be proud to state it.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
MaxPete, I have no tolerance or patience for commercials in my old age (50). My time left on this earth is limited, and my time is more and more valuable. Between the hundreds of songs on my phone, On Demand, my DVR, and Kodi, I almost never see or hear commercials. Only commercials I am now exposed to are from watching news or live sports.

I am anxious to see your input after trying this unit.
THATS the beauty of the CBC - no commercials!

...and yes, I did catch the EU-NAM charger plug issue just before I place my order.

Cheers,

Pete

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ST_Jim said:
looks just like a Sena, if that's important to you.
The looks don't mean a thing to me as long as something works well. That lookalike is BT v3.0 so I don't know how well it plays with other units.

EASt said:
If someone were willing to hack open a Sena S20, and hack open one of these cheap models next to it, I bet the circuits inside are practically identical.
That's entirely possible. So is the other side of the coin— the electronics are only casually related. Chinese knock-offs (counterfeits) of Apple power supplies are minimal and crude in comparison to genuine Apple® kit. Sena may not obsess to that degree.

If the $35/$103 units work well enough then it's probably worth it to consider them disposable. Many manufactures don't make warranty repair anything to look forward to.

ST_Jim said:
If the communicator fails in the rain, the manufacturer of the $35 communicator says they will fix it for you, but you have to ship it to China at a cost of $35 (not as cheap shipping in that direction!) Do you actually get it fixed or just buy another? Their waterproof claim is just that, and it doesn't translate into a cost for warranty returns.
Not only is the ROI of warranty service doubtful the waterproof claim may be no more than that. It's easy enough to claim that it's waterproof (i.e. lie) and just 'honor' the warranty and replace those few units actually return. No doubt their ROI could support that business model. It doesn't help the consumer if/when it fails in the wet.

I've seen reviews that state Senas (the 20S in my case) weather moderate rain and some that say the Senas didn't survive. I agree that making it waterproof or even highly water resistant should be a priority and Sena doesn't make it so. Not to say the knock-off unit doesn't but I don't know that it does and lives up to the claim.

Top Bottom