Inexpensive Bluetooth Review BT-S2

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I wish I knew the pin-outs because I’d be tempted to simply make a little jumper with the BT-S2 jack on one end and a female microUSB on the other so that I could use all the zillions of other chargers I’ve got on it.

The only thing I don’t like about the el-cheapo Chinoise Bluetooth unit is that stupid odd-ball connector.

Why can you not just use the cable that comes with the BT-S2 to plug its large end into a charging device?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Raymond: I can - and it works perfectly well, but I’m apprehensive about loosing that cord or having it fail at which point the device will become useless. Also, I do wish I could charge and use it at the same time.

As others have said, the BT-S2 is essentially a good piece of equipment but it does have a couple of flaws and they are really centred around that odd-ball connector and the fact that it is also the earphone/microphone connector.

Oh well, for $35 - I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Pete

OP
OP
Daniel
A few quick points:

I never intended to make a direct comparison to Sena, or any other top end unit when starting this thread. I only wanted this unit to have my google maps girl piped into my ears so I wouldn't need to take my eyes off the road as often when touring. For this purpose,for me, I honestly could not be happier after 3 long weekend trips 2 up. Anything in addition to that is truly a bonus for me. I still haven't given the battery a good test, for I take my chargers on the road with me, and after using it for the weekend, I charge it up again the night before I am heading home. Considering it only takes an hour, 1.5 at the most to charge, it probably has a lot of battery left before I charge it. I don't think it is fair to compare this unit to something at least three times the price. But, considering that is what always ends up happening, it's shortcomings to value ratio comes out pretty well ahead in my opinion.

The connector definitely seems to be a proprietary piece. It's obviously not a micro usb, and it doesn't match the much less popular mini usb I have that came with some old chinese tablet I once had. I do think I have seen this connector somewhere before,I just can't remember where. It's possible it was a little infra red rc helicopter I had a while back I used to play with my dogs and cat.

Andrew, all I can tell you is I can not use mine at full volume when listening to music because I fear hearing loss. I assume helmet design has a lot to do with it, and as I told you, I know placement makes a huge difference. The one piece of advice I can give you is, after finding the sweet spot for mine, they seemed like they would be too far forward when looking where they are placed in my helmet. My helmet has to holes about a 1/4" in diameter that I assume I could route wires through. I would also assume that are centered for where speakers would be mounted. However, mine are mounted about 3/4" forward of center of those holes.

I think having 2 makes a lot of sense for a few reasons. Extended battery, back-up propriety cable and speaker/mic.....etc. You might even meet that special someone you adore so much you don't mind having her piped directly in when riding. Long shot I admit, but it could happen !!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't think it is fair to compare this unit to something at least three times the price.
I think it's absolute fair to compare it to another similar product even at three times the price and to learn the differences. I think it's ridiculous to expect it to perform the same way and to the same standards as a product three times its price.

There's no doubt it has a lot of bang:buck. This whole discussion has brought a very viable option to riders. I would not buy another Sena for my 'street' helmet because of the expense and its primary use (around town and short hops). The BT-S2 does that just fine.

And at its price having a second one instead of relying solely on hoping you make your charging cycles on time makes sense. Even having a third if you ride with a pillion is still cost effective.

A Sena of varying model may have more utility. But if you don't need it there may be no value in going top shelf. I like my 20S and if I hadn't got it I'd probably get the 30K. But for a second unit the BT-S2 is perfect for me.

Daniel said:
considering that is what always ends up happening
Sometimes it makes sense. Other times it's just plain silly at best such as expecting one motorcycle to perform favorably to another when it each built and marketed for a different purpose.

That's not to say you shouldn't use any given bike or any other product for a purpose other than intended by the manufacturer if that suits you.

So with the BT-S2 the proprietary headset/charging connector is something of which to be aware as is the volume level. Both are worth noting and will affect buying decisions for valid reasons just as there are valid reasons for getting one instead of a Sena.

The ultimate question for me with any product that meets the level of utility I want is— how long will it last? A few uses? A season? More than a year? The time depends on the product of course. I'd expect a good or even mediocre anvil or vice to last longer than an inexpensive electronic device. But who knows.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Do search for 8 pin USB connectors. I found several, but can't be absolutely certain that they're a match.

John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

My money says it's not a USB connector and is as mentioned proprietary. Or it might be some little known connector used by a few manufacturers.

In any case the real issue would be finding a cable or adapter that fit and would a) be a replacement for a lost or damaged cable and/or b) allow the unit to be charged and used at the same time.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Lots of YouTube reviews on this product. All mention proprietary cables though I did see one listing saying it was a mini B 8 pin. For better sound quality for music playback one reviewer had his music go through an equalizer app on his phone. Another person used an app called "Parrot" to record audio to his camera.
It pairs two units nicely and you can jog to a third with the use of the power button but that cuts out the first pairing, then press power button again to get back to original pairing.
An earlier post here said that the instructions claimed it could be removable from the mount to charge, and they couldn't figure that out, indeed a mistake in the instructions according to one of the reviewers. I think the only way it can be removed from the helmet is if you were only using the velcro attachment method.
( I checked my hearing aids Y adapter cable and not only would it be the wrong size mini USB connector, it's a two male to one female, so that wouldn't work)
I am anxious to test the unit out and see how easy it will connect to my SM10 Senas, but that won't be for a few weeks.
The price seems to fluctuate, The European charge unit is a few dollars cheaper, but if you already have a USB charger you could save a few $.
Thanks all who have commented on this thread. very good info

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Still happy with my BT-S2, I only use it as a music player from my phone, but it works faultlessly and at a decent volume (I always ride with earplugs). I'm glad I'm not the only dummy who couldn't figure how to dismount the main unit from the helmet mount! If you look at the back side of the mount, the screws will confirm that it won't come off in a hurry...

Regarding that charging cable...I too have a tiny RC helicopter that uses the same one I think.

Would like to purchase a unit but when I tried to order the website requested a passport no. and other Intl shipping data. Am I doing something wrong?
Mike in GA

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This intrigues me. I've been reviewing a number of YouTube videos, and in one they were able to monitor the conversation and put the feed to the video camera, I think it was hard wired. IN the FAQ section, a customer asked if separate earbuds can be connected to the headset and they said yes through the audio jack. The user guide says you can also hook up a walkie talkie to monitor the intercom. That audio connector may have both an audio in and audio out capability. I can't test this out as I don't have the unit with me. If this is the case it might help a person who wants to use earbuds instead of the speaker system
"
To
Use
Audio Cable
Audio
cable can insert cable input interface, it can connect MP3, GPS, Mobile phone
and so on.
Pls: Walkie-talkie Audio cable also can insert cable in

put interface, it can connect walkie-talkie, so it can intercom

for a group of people at the same time.
(Walkie-talkie Audio cable need to purchase separate).

Cable adapter is different, according to different model of walkie-talkie. "

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Am I doing something wrong?
Yes but I have no idea what. My order from gearbest.com was similar to every other online order I've made and no requirement for a passport number or International shipping data.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Do you have to use speakers with this unit or can you plug in ear buds, etc? I'm needing just Bluetooth hookup for music using my molded earplugs. Intercom is not much of a requirement at this time.

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Do you have to use speakers with this unit or can you plug in ear buds, etc? I'm needing just Bluetooth hookup for music using my molded earplugs. Intercom is not much of a requirement at this time.
This model (BT-S2) you have to use the supplied speakers, the jack that is on the unit is an input. I believe there are some cheap units that have a earphone jack

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I bought two of these units. Because they were cheap.
The BT-S2 works well, but you have to put up with a few cons. Here is my brief review.
Pros:
1. Battery life is good. Mine will last all day.
2. Easy to install, easy to pair.

Cons:
1. The controls are hard to locate with gloves on.
2. Controls are not intuitive. If I want to turn up the volume, I would expect a push of the "+" button would do it. But that skips to the next song. Hold down the "+" for a while instead.
3. Volume is not very loud. With foam ear plugs crammed all the way in my ears, I can barely hear this. I can't hear it at all over wind speed.

OP
OP
Daniel
OK.....Thought I'd re-visit this since I just charged it up for the start of it's 4th season.

Used it for a couple hours Monday when my wife and I decided to get out of the house and take a ride to the Delaware River to see the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels pass over Philly.

I don't charge it at all over the winter, and was prepared for it to not hold a charge after neglecting it, like I have the previous 3 winters.

But, it still works great and holds a good charge.

Also, I have switched phones since last season, and for unrelated reasons, downloaded a different music player which has an equalizer feature, including a pre-amp. For those of you who find it does not have enough volume for music, the music player solves that issue. I estimate I keep my volume about half way now. There is no way I can tolerate it any louder than that. It's plenty loud enough, even at freeway speeds and my modular helmet (chin bar) open.

The music player I am using is called AIMP.

I can honestly say it is the best $30 I've spent on a motorcycle accessory. (I know they are approx 50% more now)

I have still managed NOT to install one in my wife's helmet !

Hope everyone is well, and staying safe !

Top Bottom