Panic Time - Where is the oil coming from??

OP
OP
STPaulK
STOC #
Today I managed to get the timing marks aligned. The previous learning by John Heath was indeed the exact issue I was running into. When torquing down the far side exhaust cam holder, the cam would lever up and make the chain start riding up the intake sprocket teeth. A manual turn of the crank with the chain not quite yet at full tension would slip it the rest of the way so it was off by a tooth. The "fix" was to always keep a hand on the chain and keep it seated in the sprocket as I made the first cam holder bolt tightening.

Note that early on I said the bike idled just fine, despite being one tooth off. I agree with Dave Duelin that some riders are getting away with being a tooth off without noticing. Maybe those who are "tuned in" to the ST motor could discern the difference. The tooth slip is subtle during the final cam holder installation phase and can easily go unnoticed.

The valve cover is back in place and I confirmed full seal at the back side. I am waiting for the sealant to cure for a day before running the engine. At this point, there will either be no more leaking or a major leak, which means I will have a parts bike to unload for a good price. :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks to Tipster, who observed my work and provided his putty skills on my cover gasket. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
STPaulK
STOC #
It's alive! It's no longer spewing oil and once I got past the initial smokeout, it seems to be all well now. I still have oil working down the channel so I guess that will take some time. I will check the the gasket seal behind the valve cover for good measure after the bike cools down. Thank you all for your technical and moral support!

Top Bottom