What speed wind will tip over a parked bike?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
This is a crazy subject!! Definitely you guys need to get out and ride more !!of all my years of motoring on all sorts of bikes. I've never given thought to half of this stuff. You know. If your bike falls over SO WHAT! Get it picked up and ride on. Lol! I know I'm terrible! Like getting your car stuck in mud or snow. Get it out and have fun! Yee haww! I don't believe I've ever given consideration of wind direction or anything when parking my bike. If it fell over for any reason I'd kick its tires while it was down!! Lol
Doug, Its a good thing you don't have a horse. :bow1:

The NC700X comes with a parking brake which comes in very handy. I miss not having one on the ST. They make a lot of sense.
Tony Worrall (spelling?) makes one. I love mine.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The NC700X comes with a parking brake which comes in very handy. I miss not having one on the ST. They make a lot of sense.
You need to order the Pendle parking brake kit from Tony over the pond then. He makes them for both the 1100 and 1300. I do believe he is a member on this forum, but I can't remember his handle.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Mickey have you tried squaring the bars or turning them to the right before uprighting the bike? This takes a lot of weight of the side stand.
Yes I do that DRT, and sometimes even yell at my wife "lean right" and she leans to the right to help get it straightened up. lol

Given an ST 1300 with a stock side stand parked broadside to the wind (wind blowing directly toward the sidestand side of the bike when it is parked on a flat, hard surface). Figure a top case into the equation, windshield down (or wherever you want it to be).

What speed wind will knock the bike over?

Of course there are a lot of variables, and I'm talking generalities. Surely there is an approximate wind speed that makes parking the bike in this orientation dangerous.

I've read here in another thread that this happened to someone (i.e a wind induced parked tip over). I just want a ballpark idea of what kind of gusting could tip over the bike. Why? If I park the bike in wind gusting to 25 mph, and the consensus here is it will take a 60 mph wind to knock it over, I would not give it a second thought. Otherwise I would be more careful where I parked it and how I parked it. Will I ever encounter these kinds of wind? I doubt it, but once, years ago, I was camping in Colorado and the wind picked up so much at night that I tipped over a picnic table and arranged my sleeping bag in its lee. By morning the wind was so strong I decided to head home. With this gusting tail wind, I was able to put my hand outside the car window and feel no air movement at all. I was driving 60 to 75 mph (don't remember any more than that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I got caught in a storm last summer right after I saw a funnel cloud. I stopped under a bridge thinking that I had enough time to put my rain gear on. Three other bike also stopped and all where Harley's. I got soaking wet before I could get my rain gear on. The rain was blowing sideways. One of the Harley's blew over. The wind was hitting square on the side of the side stand. I quickly moved to the side of the ST and stood there until I could ride again. I was really worried that all of us would get taken by a tornado or a run over by a car, because you could only see a few feet from us.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
I think you mean the wind also has to blow the bike forward. I pull my bike upright off the sidestand and still have to retract it with my foot - the spring does NOT pull it up from the deployed position when it is unweighted.
That might be a problem on those BMWs that had the auto-retracting side stand. Get on the bike and raise it to riding position and the stand retracts once weight is off it.

dduelin said:
A factory parking brake would be great. I didn't realize any bike had one from the factory. I've got the Pendle Parking Brake from Tony Worall. It's been very handy.

Once we find the terminal velocity for TOWS (Tip Over Wind Speed) we an work on fabricating or sourcing a bike-mounted:

+

You know... Just to be safe.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
If I think the bike has a chance of rolling forward I just leave it in gear.
That's what I do too. I also make sure to allow the bike to roll forward (or back if I'm facing uphill) to take up any slack in the transmission before setting it on the sidestand.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
The NC700X comes with a parking brake which comes in very handy. I miss not having one on the ST. They make a lot of sense.I would guess it's the auto transmission model. I haven't seen a parking brake on the one with the clutch. You can push a scooter around when the motor is off. My wife had a Kymco Downtown 300 and you had to be careful it was level where you parked it (no parking brake) I was coaching a BRC2 class last weekend and one guy have a Burgman scooter. He would try to take off and nothing then he would pull the lever and I would here the brake release "thunk".

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The NC700X comes with a parking brake which comes in very handy. I miss not having one on the ST. They make a lot of sense.I would guess it's the auto transmission model. I haven't seen a parking brake on the one with the clutch. You can push a scooter around when the motor is off. My wife had a Kymco Downtown 300 and you had to be careful it was level where you parked it (no parking brake) I was coaching a BRC2 class last weekend and one guy have a Burgman scooter. He would try to take off and nothing then he would pull the lever and I would here the brake release "thunk".
Yes, the Dual Clutch Transmission model NC700X has a parking brake, the manual transmission one does not. That one you leave in gear. Scooters 'without' an apparent parking brake usually have one built into the left brake lever for the rear wheel. Some sort of rachet mechanism or a little lever you flip out to catch and hold the brake lever squeezed will hold the brake and release the starter interlock. It's a DOT requirement the engine not start without the brake engaged.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
That might be a problem on those BMWs that had the auto-retracting side stand. Get on the bike and raise it to riding position and the stand retracts once weight is off it.
I'm assuming the last sentence above is a reference to the first sentence. I've never owned or ridden a bike with a side stand that retracts by itself when the bike is raised up to vertical. I can visualize times where that would present a hazard.

I remember the Cavalcade that I had didn't have anything to prevent shifting into gear and riding off with the stand still down. It did have a rather large icon on the LCD in the instrument panel that indicated when the SS was down, but there were a few times that I failed to notice it - on one of those occasions I nearly dropped the beast in the street when I started to make a left-hander! :eek:

This is a crazy subject!! Definitely you guys need to get out and ride more !!of all my years of motoring on all sorts of bikes. I've never given thought to half of this stuff. You know. If your bike falls over SO WHAT! Get it picked up and ride on. Lol! I know I'm terrible! Like getting your car stuck in mud or snow. Get it out and have fun! Yee haww! I don't believe I've ever given consideration of wind direction or anything when parking my bike. If it fell over for any reason I'd kick its tires while it was down!! Lol
:lucky:

Bike
2010 ST-1300
You gotta have something to think about when your stuck at work on a beautiful day and your motorcycle is in the parking lot. Certainly not going to think about working:eek:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don B said:
I'm assuming the last sentence above is a reference to the first sentence.
Given the relationship of those two sentences that would be the correct thing to do.

Don B said:
I can visualize times where that would present a hazard.
Well yeah. Raise the bike up the stand swings up and then lean the bike back down without benefit of the side stand being lowered. Bad. I think that would be the most common hazard.

The ST is the only bike I've ever owned out of many that had any kind of interlock related to the side stand. I'd driven off a couple of times on one or two of them with the side stand down. I learned not to to that. I knew I wasn't supposed to do that. That's what the auto-retracting side stand was designed to prevent (as the result of a law suit)— pilot error. You'd think with that logic every motorcycle would have self-canceling turn signals.

Kind of like shutting the car door before driving off. Right hand turns could be dicey. Luckily we have Door Ajar lights and buzzers and all kinds of alerts and seat belts to protect us.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The politicians tipped it over? With all their windy talking (since that is the origin of the nickname)?
I've never heard of the origin of the "Windy city". I've always just assumed that it was based on the lake effect winds off of Lake Michigan. Can you please elaborate - replying with a link or two should be sufficient, I think.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
An internet search:
While Chicago is widely known as the "Windy City", it is not the windiest city in the United States. Some of the windier cities recorded by the NOAA/NCDC are Mount Washington, NH at 35.1 mph, Blue Hill, MA at 15.2 mph, Dodge City, KS at 13.9 mph, Amarillo, Texas at 13.5 mph and Lubbock, Texas at 12.4 mph (20 km/h).[3] Chicago is not significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is 10.3 mph; Boston: 12.4 mph; Central Park, New York City: 9.3 mph; and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph.

"The average mope believes Chicago was so dubbed because it's windy, meteorologically speaking. The more sophisticated set thinks the term originated in a comment by Charles Dana, editor of the New York Sun in the 1890s. Annoyed by the vocal (and ultimately successful) efforts of Chicago civic leaders to land the world's fair celebrating Columbus's discovery of America, Dana urged his readers to ignore "the nonsensical claims of that windy city"--windy meaning excessively talkative."

Bike
20 Tracer GT
Going back to the original question which was innocent enough and basically ignored by most of the posts, I think a quick calculation with a bunch of unknowns (level pavement, protective surroundings, top box, windshield placement, what's in the pannier, etc.) in the mix would have a ST1300 tipped over in a wind of 60 to 70 mph. Center of gravity of the motorcycle is also an unknown and it has a great effect on stability on the side stand. I measured the tilt at 16 degrees, but I have a plate on the bottom of my side stand that may change the tilt a bit. Surely there is someone who can verify or vilify my estimation.

Top Bottom