Alarms - Locks - Chains - Security Devices

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I know that ST1300's aren't the most desired motorcycles for thieves to steal. Where I live, there is only outdoor carport parking available.
Thieves have recently stolen a motorcycle and a car. And several cars have been broken in to...

So, I am looking for a security solution to sway thieves from attempting to steal my two ST1300's. Or, at least deter them, slow them down and to just make it too hard for them to do it quickly and quietly...

My first thoughts are:

1. To buy heavy grade 100 lifting chain and chain the ST's to each other with padlocks.
2. Install some type of remote alarm system that will notify me if bikes are moved, jostled etc...
3. Install a remote tracking device if stolen.

I would appreciate all advice and recommendations...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is there anything to chain the bikes to besides each other? If the thieves use 'hoist and go' onto a flat bed or van, then chaining them together or to something would be your only option. And it would have to be a chain and lock that is not easily cut through with a cordless sawzall. Kryptonite makes some heavy duty wheel locks but they are only good if some tries to roll the bike away. The rental company I rent from in the U.K. issues a heavy chain and lock with the bike and strict instructions to put it through the front wheel every night.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Right now I do not have anything to chain them to, except to each other.
Am going to seek permission to drill into a concrete curb stone to lodge an anchor.
But, I don't see getting permission to do that.

Because of all of the plastic on the ST1300, there are not many options for running the chain through the frame.

I know that an electric portable Sawsall or grinder could cut through a heavy chain. But would thieves do that in the middle of the night???

I think it will take multiple barriers to deter the bad guys....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would think a chain through the front or rear wheel or the forks (with protection for the fender) would stop most thieves and some sort of 'racket' maker if the bike is moved. If you make it annoying enough long enough they would probably leave. Also, if you had a full cover, then they would not know what was under it and what they can't see usually they leave alone since their business is to be quick. Most good covers come with 'holes' that you can run a cable lock through (my EZ Touring Wanders do). Put a noise maker on the seat under the cover (that should avoid folks messing with it for grins). Just some thoughts as they come to me.

Bike
VStrom 650
You need a ground anchor, so work on that.
Best chains you can afford.
Security lights/camera.
Best tamper proof padlocks.
And movement sensitive alarms, could be alarmed disc locks.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I know that an electric portable Sawsall or grinder could cut through a heavy chain. But would thieves do that in the middle of the night???
I'd assume they would, unless its really close to where people would definitely hear the noise. I have a cordless Makita angle grinder that would cut through anything metal very quickly, but it does make a bit of noise in the process, so it would be somewhat noticeable. So your best deterrent would probably be to use several items that would require multiple cutting operations, making the job more trouble than the next bike.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yes, I am looking at multiple barriers that now include placing several personal pull-pin type alarms that can attach to the inside of cover.
That way if cover is moved in any area, the first series of alarms will sound. Cheap at $10 each.

Then having two types of front and back disc locks with alarms.

And good chains and padlocks...

Hopefully, will make them think twice and pick an easier target...

Bike
2010 ST1300
For something like $20 (I forget the amount) you can get an infrared sensor and alarm from Harbor Freight. These are battery operated and communicate via radio signal - they are sold as driveway alarms and will pick up a large dog, deer, or thief. I got one for our back yard (deer) and it worked great. Its utility will depend on traffic and where you can put it so that it is not obvious (paint it to match foliage if necessary or put it in the crook of a tree). All you need to do is look when it goes off in the wee hours - silly me would not expect thieves to steal your bike in dinnertime or breakfast hours. This should be in conjunction w/ audible alarms, chains, flame throws, grenade launchers, tomahawk missiles and the like.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Would that infrared device work through a windshield of a car?
I park my car behind the bikes. They could move them from either side, or they would have to pull my car out of the way.

And, with that, I suppose that I could attach it to under the front bumper of my car....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Would that infrared device work through a windshield of a car?
I park my car behind the bikes. They could move them from either side, or they would have to pull my car out of the way.

And, with that, I suppose that I could attach it to under the front bumper of my car....
I'm not sure. I would expect it would - unless the window has a low e coating on the glass.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As far as IR is concerned you need to find out if the sensor uses IR light or is a PIR sensor which relies on light in the heat range. IR light may be reflected off the glass and frequently thwarts night-vision surveillance cameras. PIR sensors almost never work through any glass. A microwave sensor would but they have their downsides especially in the 40KW range. :)grin:) Using your car to pinch the bike in (if possible) could be a good idea.

Using a sawsall at night is not unheard of (npi). If the bike is targeted a minute or two or whatever won't deter thieves who've planned for acquisition.

You can't count on noise to deter thieves and attract the attention of the neighbors. To that end you want to consider reliable alarms and be wary of vibration sensitive alarms. These are notorious for sounding false alarms because they're usually set to be too sensitive. So you want a paging/tracking system. Odds are it would be gone before you could get out to see what's what and get a suspect/vehicle description and possibly a plate.

Another possible deterrent that needs some care and caution in installation— put a LIN or similar strobe on the bike in two places: replace the rear reflector (as many of us have) and put a white one in the handlebar area facing the rider. Wire these to activate when an alarm is triggered and program them to flash continuously without a pattern. IF somebody does look out the window it will help them spot the trouble. You want tie white one to flash immediately (help avoid liability light up the crook(s)) and you wouldn't want it go off while you're riding.

As to the desirability of the ST... There have been a few members here whose STs were stolen. One was recovered that I know of. Maybe others dunno. We don't know how they were spirited away. Walked/rolled away? Hot-wired? Lifted and trucked off? Speculation counts for nothing here. Anchoring if possible is a great idea. Some vehicles are targeted while others are crimes of opportunity.

Which brings us to what to do in the event of an actual auto theft. (Yes it's a bike). Best case scenario is that you can confirm it's a theft in progress from a distance and call 911. But when seconds count the police can be minutes away. Confronting crooks is risky at best so you have to use good judgement. A very bright flashlight is a start. Light 'em up at a distance. A red laser pointer might be nice. Or it might trigger a gun fight.

There are no guarantees. If you bike is targeted all bets are off. But if it's a crime of opportunity deterrence is your friend. And/or you could insure it for replacement cost if that's an option.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
As to the desirability of the ST... There have been a few members here whose STs were stolen.
I can remember two in 13 years: One was stolen from a hotel garage somewhere in California and the other was stolen from a dealer's service department and later recovered at the side of a road somewhere.

--Mark

Top Bottom