Make a dipstick ??

Bike
2001 ST1100
OK .... as a newish member I'm sticking my neck out .... has anyone made a useful dipstick for an 1100?

I have had many other hondas with sight glasses but I'm old and stiff and the up and down thing isn't popular with my wrists and so I've used a 'work around' mostly on old (4cyl) goldwings but also with old in line 4s.

At oil change time, after I've added the correct amount off oil I take a zip tie, preferably white, and slide it down through the oil filler hole into the crankcase, then I withdraw it carefully and mark the oil level with a nick in the plastic, now I have a dipstick .... I tried this approach on my 'new' 2001 and it seems to work altho its a bit trickier to get the zip tie to slide down it does go.

You do have to be consistent with how much is sticking out the top of course.

Am I missing something .... shouldn't this work with the 1100 ?

Gord

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I believe the problem is there's no way to get the stick down to the sump from the oil cap. I'm guessing any other mechanical option is too drastic.

Maybe shine a flashlight on a mirror at the end of a stick?

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 mirror on a stick, they're all over the interweb etc. Cost about as much as a zip tie.
Or if it's that hard to do your maintenance you need a bike lift.
Upt'North.

Bike
92 ST1100
A dipstick from valve cover filler cap to oil pan.......never gonna happen my friend. Since ST uses absolutely no oil between 6,000mi. oli changes, initially fill to correct level and forget about it till next oil change;):).

Bike
2010 ST1300
Surplus periscope from an old submarine? Flexible bore scope (Milwaukee, Rigid, other tool companies sell these). Fiber optic scope for your smart phone?

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just turn your smartphone light on, then take a picture.

You can look at it whenever it is convenient for you.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just turn your smartphone light on, then take a picture.
I do that all the time for a number of things. I was playing fetch with my GW buddy's Lab when she let the ball get by and under some wooded steps. She couldn't get it so she looked at me and barked. Made me laugh like crazy.

A long stick could roll it out if I just new where it was. Took some video with the phone and new exactly were it was.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yeah - I feel your pain TR.

In my view, the sightglass oil window arrangement is the sort of stupid, impractical idea that comes from what, in the auto industry are referred to as the Cost Police. These are often, but not always, useless gits with MBAs who develop answers to questions that nobody was asking - but are intended to save a bit of money.

Unfortunately, while it is likely cheaper than a dipstick, the sightglass is enormously inconvenient for those of us with sore knees and I just hate it.

Anyhow, the mirror on a stick idea is likely the best option - or mount your smart phone on a selfie stick and use that to take a photo.

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Since ST uses absolutely no oil between 6,000mi. oli changes, initially fill to correct level and forget about it till next oil change;):).
This is my approach too only my oil change intervals are 4000 miles. Since it's not leaking it, and it's not perceptibly burning it, and I know how much I put in there (a gallon), I don't have to do the crawley thing on the ground on my 67 year old bad knees to make sure it has oil in there.

OP
OP
TorontoRat
Bike
2001 ST1100
Thanks for all the ideas folks .... if any of you are at the ONSTOCK we can share my new 'inspection mirror' and reassure ourselves that we used absolutely no oil getting there ....

Gord:biker:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks for all the ideas folks .... if any of you are at the ONSTOCK we can share my new 'inspection mirror' and reassure ourselves that we used absolutely no oil getting there ....

Gord:biker:
Don't hold the mirror upsidedown. You will think you are out of oil and over fill the crankcase. :bow1:

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
It should take just less than a gallon, I believe. The Service Manual says 3.91 US Quarts with a filter change. So a gallon would overfill it. But an extra 2.88 oz. probably won't make a difference, But some people on this Forum report that if you fill to the bottom of the normal range on the site glass, the bike will seem to run better - I'm not sure of that, tho.

Bike
R1200rt
It should take just less than a gallon, I believe. The Service Manual says 3.91 US Quarts with a filter change. So a gallon would overfill it. But an extra 2.88 oz. probably won't make a difference, But some people on this Forum report that if you fill to the bottom of the normal range on the site glass, the bike will seem to run better - I'm not sure of that, tho.
If its overfilled it would not run better. would there be any way to measure the difference? I doubt it. But if the crankshaft does not have to push thru the oil in theory it would run better. Remember all the oil that goes thru the engine comes from the oil pump.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I buy the 18.9l tub of Rotella dino and decant 3.4 into a clean container. Been doing this for years and this is the perfect amount for an oil + filter change to get to the 1/2 way mark on the sight glass.

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Or, you could buy a Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX which comes with a dipstick.:D Gord, I'll show you this at ONSTOC.

The mirror on a stick and the cell phone pic are excellent ideas. I always crawled on the ground to see the oil level on my former ST1300 ride.

Top Bottom