2004 st 1300 oil leak at clutch slave

Bike
04 st 1300
Hello everyone my question is the seal that keeps the oil in the engine How difficult is that to remove ?

Thanks in advance for replies

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
Reviving this thread. I think the OP wants to change the oil seal that keeps the "motor oil" sealed, and is located in the block itself behind the slave. Mine is weeping here as well, waiting for parts as we speak. I have a slight drool that comes out of the small "weep hole" on the right bottom side of the slave......clutch works fine, no loss of fluid, but looks like motor oil. I ordered the complete slave and this extra seal. Anyone change that one? If so how many skinned knuckles do we have?

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I replaced the entire slave a couple years ago, and now I suspect my oil leak is coming from there. I'll find out when I pull the bike apart next.
Replacing the slave is a pain to get to, but not really all that hard. I'll be following this thread, as well.

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
Ok guys, just completed the slave replacement. Wasn't all that difficult and it took about 2 hours. I did not replace the seal in the block because it did not look like it was leaking. I didn't want to create a new problem replacing it. The old slave seal looked quite “knackeredâ€. Bled it all and it seems nice and smooth.

Attachments

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Good work Bobb - that CSC certainly looks like mine did (knackered - just as you say).

One bit of comfort - I researched the entire ST1300 clutch slave cylinder R&R job quite extensively and in all of those enquiries- not one instance of that seal in the engine block was mentioned.

Best wishes!

Pete

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well, I believe I got it to do. Thank goodness for everyone posting their experiences.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
Well, I believe I got it to do. Thank goodness for everyone posting their experiences.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
My thanks as well. If it weren't for such a good write up that "mikedo" linked me to {thanks Pete!!}, not so sure that it could be done in this manner...or in the time frame it actually took. Couple of problem areas {for me anyway}.....
1. The old gasket removal. Like others have said...it is a pain. Period. Be very careful around the oil cooler hose. They do make a spray on gasket remover that really does work, but I didn't have access to it at this point in time, nor did I want to go to the store to get some. Hindsight....I "should have".
2. Third bolt access adjacent to the oil filter. For that bolt, {once it is loosened} you really need small hands and long fingers to unscrew / screw it in.
3. On the 3 bolts that hold the slave on.....I used a 1/4" drive ratchet / socket and access to all three bolts was VERY easy. The article said to use wrenches. Personal preference here.....Edit.....correction. Brain fart....not enough coffee. Pete used the ratchet here as well.
4. I used a headlamp around my noggin for an excellent, bright view of the problem area.
5. I did not remove the speed sensor as it was not at all in the way.
6. Have a lot of towels / rags as you work.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I thought you were leaking motor oil? How is replacing the slave, without replacing the engine block seal, going to help? Is your leak somewhere else?

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
I thought you were leaking motor oil? How is replacing the slave, without replacing the engine block seal, going to help? Is your leak somewhere else?
Well.......after I thoroughly cleaned the back of the motor off, I could "clearly" see a drool from the weep hole in the block at the slave. Didn't even have to run the bike. Wiped it down, waited again and sure enough another drool. Originally I thought it was motor oil because of the discoloration. What I failed to discover that even though I flushed my clutch fluid a couple of times, it clearly did not remove all of the brown /yellow contamination in the slave and lines themselves. The clutch fluid weep had taken on a motor oil look. I'm still not convinced that the u-joint seal is not leaking, but after I cleaned it as well, cannot see anything coming from that area. Time will tell here. When I changed the slave yesterday, it still had brown /yellow crud in it, even though my site glass on the master cylinder was clean and clear. Oil leaks can be a bit of a challenge at times. A slight drool or weep down low can actually travel "up" due to who-knows-what kind of turbulence is behind the motor, underneath the bike, making tracing it difficult. Throw some brake dust, road grime, etc, and the oil drip color can vary greatly.....

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
After a few days of letting it sit I see no signs of a drool. Clean as a whistle now. Fingers crossed!!

Top Bottom