Mpg ??

Hi all just got another Pan after many years and is a great bike !its a 2001 and model !! But seamed to remember that the Mpg was much better ??? I'm getting about 44 mpg on my trip to work ! About 8 miles each way and doing 50/60 Mph ?? That seams low ?? Any idea,s Dave .

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
P,
It so depends on your right hand. I'd not expect much more than 50mpg and usually get about the same as you. 8 miles is hardly enough to get the engine properly warm, so I don't think you have a problem! An easy conversion at the pumps - if you do 200 miles and need 20 litres to top up, it's 45.4 mpg. (Imperial/metric stuff for the benefit of our continental and North American cousins!)
Roger

Bike
VStrom 650
Good morning Dave.
I would agree it does seem a little low but not real bad.
You've got to remember you are running cold for half of the journey, either that or warming it before you ride.
I get around 50 on longer slow runs without luggage two up but it can drop to around 40 or just below on longer two up with luggage motorway runs. I just got through a tank in 240 miles on the M6.
Are you running a barn door screen, it won't help with mpg and have you fitted a new OEM air filter?
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

That sounds about right. I get roughly the same commuting (20 miles each way). However, on a recent European trip with continuous non-stop riding I got up to mid-50s when you done have stop-start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Thanks for replies ? It's a shame as my old Bmw could do 44/47 mpg on a run loaded up ? Did read that some people got 55/60 out of there Pan,s I got this bike thinking I could get 50 mpg on most runs ! Could change Air filter and balance carbs see if that helps ?? PS I'm not heavy on the right hand Dave !!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
44 MPG in the UK is about 37 MPG here in the US. That seems a little low IMO. FWIW, I commute as well in stop/go traffic and get about 40 MPG (US) in the summer.

Bike
2000 ST1100
My new to me ST1100 , 14,000 miles on the odometer, mixed riding, i got 46 mpg, on the first tank, and 49 mpg on the second tank full. Mostly pretty easy on the throttle with a bit of 75-80 mph where it was safe. Chunk.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used to get 240 miles from a tank. On one occasion I was forced to push that expectation as far as I could as I didn't pass any fuel, did another 10 miles and there was perhaps another litre of fuel for another 10 ish miles. But for the last 30 miles I was riding very economically. We nearly always rode 2-up and my screen was a larger replacement with a flip up lip like the original. But 240 was the figure I used to regard as the 'do not exceed' value. The projected 260 was a surprise, and I would never trust that as an indication of how far I could go. I can't remember how much fuel the ST1100 would hold now. I don't exceed the speed limits, but refer the country and single main roads. I also tend to stay longer in a lower gear than is necessary for good fuel economy.

Bike
1997 Red ST1100
STOC #
No other Stock bike has ST's range.

New to ST Owners forum but did want to post something I am proud of. Into my 3rd season with my 1997 ST1100. Been competing with a buddy who also has an ST1100 to see who can go the furthest on a FULL tank... I had never hyper-miled a motorcycle before... my lofty goal was 500Miles / 800KM on a single tank of fuel. In early July 2017 I made an attempt at my goal of 500Miles. I was Easy on the throttle with 90% hiway miles but broken up into 3 smaller rides. I started getting nervous towards the bottom of the tank once the fuel needle stopped moving at ALL! My last partial leg on that tank full I decided I better pack a jerry can as i realized that if i was going to get to my goal i could end up running out also. Well that is exactly what happened at Mile 489! I was let down but I was confident that i could do even better. So in late July 2017 I was ready to give it another try. This time I even went so far as to remove my panniers to shed extra weight and be more aerodynamic in my attempt to reach the 500mi barrier. We did a long scenic route through the Rockies doing 50-55mph, in no hurry to travel through the spectacular scenery. The route was circular with very little traffic. Started the trip with the ODO reading 73,129mi and finished with 73,638 on the ODO... 509Mi!! I did a speedo check against my gps and it was 1.1% high... so that is still a full 504 miles on one tank. This tankful achieved 69.81 MPG!! I am in awe of this machine. It has taken a while to really understand the engine and gearing to achieve maximum distance but i dare say she could reach 550mi with some additional mods and fine tuning. Some ST's just seem to have everything lined up perfectly, I know i am happy with mine! Will see what we can achieve for summer 2018!
  • :biker:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I emptied (well, til the light came on) my tank getting it ready for the recent timing belt job I did- this was on the black 94- 290 miles so this comes out to ~ 48 mpg (mostly 50 mph and above). The 2000 gets about the same. As for hypermiling, I’d be careful to not run the tank too low - I’d be concerned about getting any sediment in the fuel lines and orifices of the carbs- it’s a good project but you don’t want to cause issues this way- same with a car- the fuel pumps in many are cooled by the fuel that surround them, so fuel gets too low = hot pump and potential failure.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
On the lab I see about 42mpg (US) , without a head wind @ 78 mph and on one 200 mile trip, I did it all on the two-lane @ 59 mph and got 56 mpg (US). It was a challenge to keep it under 60 mph for that distance.

Top Bottom