ST1300 brakes maintenance

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My brother has a 2007 ST1300 ABS with about 30k miles. Goes and stops perfectly, for now. As preventative maintenance, I would like to flush the brake fluid, clean the pistons, bleed the system and do any necessary maintenance on the SMC. FWIW, I've successfully done this on my ST1100 ABSII using the Motion Pro check valve following the Honda Service Manual, although I know they are a little different. I believe he also has the ST1300 Honda SM.

Should I just follow the SM or can someone point me to the right thread for this? And yes, I'll have Larry on speed dial if things start to go sideways. ;)

TIA!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Send me an email address and I'll reply with an easy to follow step by step pdf on this job. Print it and use it now and 10 years from now if you so choose to slip it in your service manual. There are many resources available on this forum and elsewhere.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Will do, thank you Dave. Now that you mention it, I remembered that you have this write-up. Thanks again.

Bike
ST1300ABS 2003
Hello Dduelin, I'd appreciate it very much if you send it to me as well. I have never done the brakes on my ST1300 because I have always been ware about the ABS. My e-mail is moolmc@td.com. Thanks

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Send me an email address and I'll reply with an easy to follow step by step pdf on this job. Print it and use it now and 10 years from now if you so choose to slip it in your service manual. There are many resources available on this forum and elsewhere.
Would appreciate if I can get a copy of this. Will PM you my email address.

Thanks.

TommyB

Silver Bullet
Bike
Silver 2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Could you please send me a link to this or attach it to a reply?
thanks.

I have a Haynes manual but it often doesnt have much detail.
do you recommebd replacing the caliper mounting bolts or just clean threads & use blue loctite?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Could you please send me a link to this or attach it to a reply?
thanks.

I have a Haynes manual but it often doesnt have much detail.
do you recommebd replacing the caliper mounting bolts or just clean threads & use blue loctite?
Oh, disregard my PM, I see now what you meant. I'm off on a couple days of riding but when I get back home I'll send it to you.

I do use the blue thread locker and chase the bolt threads before reusing the caliper bolts several times before replacing them with new ones.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh, disregard my PM, I see now what you meant. I'm off on a couple days of riding but when I get back home I'll send it to you.

I do use the blue thread locker and chase the bolt threads before reusing the caliper bolts several times before replacing them with new ones.
Me too, but guard against using the liquid thread lock. It is very 'wet' and flows freely as the bolt is tightened. I normally use the lipstick tube paste on mine. The one time I resorted to the liquid tube, I discovered that as I tightened the bolt, the blue liquid had seeped off the thread and onto the bush which fits inside the needle roller bearing. There were signs that it had also gone over the end of the bush. Sheer good luck that it didn't get into the needle bearings.

Dduelin - I'm always interested in other interpretations of how to do the brakes, if you wouldn't mind sending a copy please ? Some people do little tweaks that improve upon what is stated in the service manual. I know I do !

PaulCb - take a look in the Articles section, and get hold of Brakes - Avoiding the Pitfalls, and Removing the Air. They might give you a few insights into the ST1300 brake system. They are both on the first couple of pages at present. I'll come back and insert links later. Oh and you might have seen that Larry has his own concerns at present. We are all praying for him.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Me too, but guard against using the liquid thread lock. It is very 'wet' and flows freely as the bolt is tightened. I normally use the lipstick tube paste on mine. The one time I resorted to the liquid tube, I discovered that as I tightened the bolt, the blue liquid had seeped off the thread and onto the bush which fits inside the needle roller bearing. There were signs that it had also gone over the end of the bush. Sheer good luck that it didn't get into the needle bearings.
Think about how you got threadlocker on the bush. You did it the same way I did when I glued the lower bolt into the collar (bush). I applied locker to the bolt then slid the bolt through the bush, thus simultaneously wiping the excess off the bolt and gluing the bolt to the bush with what was left on the bolt. Next time you use liquid thread lock on the caliper bolts, use just a drop. A little goes a long way and on the lower caliper bolt don't apply the drop to the bolt but rather to the threaded portion of the bracket, leave the bolt dry to slide through the bush.

I'd be happy to send you the tutorial but you have to PM me your email address as we can't attach files to PMs.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Think about how you got threadlocker on the bush. You did it the same way I did when I glued the lower bolt into the collar (bush). I applied locker to the bolt then slid the bolt through the bush, thus simultaneously wiping the excess off the bolt and gluing the bolt to the bush with what was left on the bolt. Next time you use liquid thread lock on the caliper bolts, use just a drop. A little goes a long way and on the lower caliper bolt don't apply the drop to the bolt but rather to the threaded portion of the bracket, leave the bolt dry to slide through the bush.

I'd be happy to send you the tutorial but you have to PM me your email address as we can't attach files to PMs.
Many thanks dduelin. Pm sent.

You are probably right about applying to the 'nut' rather than the bolt. It wasn't the bolt being stuck inside the sleeve that bothered me - that doesn't move anyway. It was the fluid that had clearly crept round the end of the sleeve that was of concern. I've never used the liquid stuff before on these bolts - I always use the lipstick tube paste. Hence the error.

Andrew - thanks for posting the links. You beat me too it. I was away from my PC yesterday.

Morning Dave,

I am about to tackle the task, could i please grab a copy of the PDF also.

Many Thanks

Jason

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Dave, based on the quality of other recommendations and ideas that you have posted that I have seen here I am sure that your brake document would be a useful and welcome addition for many people here as well. Is it to big for you to post the PDF here for the benefit of everyone? Just curious as it seems like it would be easier for you than sending a bunch of individual emails.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Check the Articles repository for ST1300 brakes, you can find all kinds of useful information there. I am not sure if Dave's article is there or not, I didn't look that far.

Top Bottom