My ST1300 and My FJR - thoughts at last

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Following my introduction as a newbie in June a reader (Dale_I) replied and asked if I could comment comparatively on the FJR and the ST having moved from FJR to ST – I have just discovered the post so my apology for lateness.

I happily make the following comments but these are not authoritative nor based in fact other than the fact that I have ridden the ST for 6 months and the FJR for several years. Just my impressions.

- Both the FJR and ST are supreme sport tourers,both superbly engineered,
- FJR is undoubtedly more at the sport end of the sport-tourer spectrum.
- The FJR is feels more powerful under the right hand than the ST, no question at all, but this is academic as the ST has plenty of touring power, especially for me as a one-up rider.
- FJR is a more spirited ride than the ST – it says, ‘come on, come on, let’s go’. Where theST seems more placid and in this sense a better cruiser at legalish speeds. Just my impressions please remember.
- The FJR feels like it has longer legs/taller gearing than the ST and power to match. This makes the FJR roll-on power feel it will go on forever as RPM climbs and legs to match. I have not detected this in the ST.
- I find myself using more rpm with the ST. Maybe it is the silence (quieter than the FJR), or gearing?
- The FJR inline engine is excellent and sounds great through its standard mufflers. At starting it leaps into life and idles silky smooth.
- The V4 in the ST is a symmetrical gem. I like the whole configuration of the ST and gearbox.
- ST sounds a bit lethargic at starting (see my post) and is a bit fussy for a minute until it settles down.
- At my level of capability, the ST is easier to service than the FJR: Fluids, filters, are relatively simple to do and of course spark plugs change is like no other bike and ultra-easy.
- FJR feels taller, narrower and not quite as upright seating as the ST I feel. I needed bar risers on the FJR, I don’t on the ST.
- No question about stability of the FJR on the road in all conditions – been there. Rock solid. I assume the ST is its equal.
- Cross winds etc? Not sure I had a sense riding the ST home from pickup it was more affected by the wind but I reserve judgement on that for now. As you can imagine I had all my monitoring senses turned to ‘high’.
- Handling is a bit sportier with the FJR and tends to be more agile perhaps than the ST, doesn’t reach the foot rest bumps as easily as the ST. Again, all academic.
- FJR seems more minimalist (contradiction?) and spartan than the ST in standard equipment, and layout.
- I like the panels and finish, panniers, fittings etc of the ST – much better body quality than the FJR I think. The ST’s pannier removal, size, closing is superb. The ST also has the better body work to live with at service time. Beautiful body work.
- The ST is easier to manoeuvre in my garage and at parking despite being heavier than the FJR. The FJR seems veeery heavy i.e. very top heavy! A constant issue for me. Maybe the ST has a lower C of G (?).
- I think the drive through gears, clutch is smoother on the ST than the FJR. ST is a pleasure.
- On/off drive lash is generally no problem on either bike. It is there if looking for it but smooth hand control overcomes it.
- Brakes are linked ABS on both and equal in my estimation, both very powerful. ST possibly feels slightly more effective (stopping) under the front brake.
- Comfort. I am not sure as I have not done a long trip but may be near equal between the FJR and ST.
- FJR looks a bit sportier to me. Mine was light silver with silver Canyon cages and panniers. Attractive bike.
- ST looks a very smart bike. A work of Honda art. Very stylish and unique.

So why did I change from FJR to ST? Well…the rider relationship with a bike runs deep in the rider’s psyche does it not, and this is not always a technical or practical matter.

- In general, the ST is a friendlier bike to live with; a more accommodating ride for me, a good travel partner and one I am happy to tour on I expect. It makes me smile.

- The FJR I can say, for all its excellent features and quality, I never connected with it. It delivered the goods but was not always a pleasure to own. It was a business machine. This is a matter of interpretation on my part but nonetheless important. My bike prior to the FJR was the venerable Bandit 1250, a faithful pony and as smooth as silk. Nothing of the build quality of the FJR, but I really like that Bandit even more than the FJR somehow.

- Having said the above I will never disparage theFJR, it is a mighty bike and one of the many bike legends. I admire it.

- The fact that I was driven to seek out and inspect the ST a few hundred km away from my home confirms I had a need to change from the FJR. I had no hesitation when I saw the ‘mint’ ST and returned to pick it up. I had a need to find a ‘smiler’ of a bike again and I have found it in the ST

Thanks for reading.
D

Last edited:

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Wonderful comparison. I'd always wondered if someone went from FJR > ST. Typically, it seems to run the reverse.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
FJR image 008.jpg (Hmm? sorry about the postage stamp. The image began life much bigger).

My FJR, now sold, is a near perfect 2008 Gen II.

The business machine, but not for me.

Attachments

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow... couldn't have asked for anything better. I've been considering both, but really have found my mate back in my 1100. The last few thousand miles have really convinced me how much I love her. Don't get me wrong... they all have life cycles... but I'll enjoy this one a bit more.

Thanks again. I have a feeling we view these very similarly. Practicality weighs in were specifications might end.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
Finally, someone who agrees with me. I went from an ST to an FJR and then back to an ST. I also had a Gen II. My FJR had a ton of mechanical gremlins and was the worst bike I've ever owned. It's been 6 months since I've owned it and I still get pissed off when I think about that bike.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Finally, someone who agrees with me. I went from an ST to an FJR and then back to an ST. I also had a Gen II. My FJR had a ton of mechanical gremlins and was the worst bike I've ever owned. It's been 6 months since I've owned it and I still get pissed off when I think about that bike.
I've never owned a Yam. So, I'm wondering what your Yamaha dealer experience was like?

To my own reading, it seems that most complaints about Yamaha circle around terrible dealer experiences, not necessarily the motorcycles themselves.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
Sorry to say my Yamaha dealer experience was pretty horrible. Too long a story but basically they lied and didn't do what they should have done according to Yamaha Corp. Of course, I'm a bad yardstick on this. Most of my dealer experiences are the same no matter what the brand.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I feel the same way , I still love my '07 ST after 6 years of having it ( and still pissed off about my '08 lemon BMW R1200RT , new bike that only had 6 K miles when the dealer unresolved predetonation caused piston slap too , bad rear end & host of other problems ) & my ST was less than half the price of the BMW lemon.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the write-up Duporth- excellent.
when I had the chance to get my new tourer, I had an ST1300A6 and seriously considered a number of alternatives, one of which was the FJR. I read a number of reports, but never actually test rode one before going for another ST1300.

Reasons: Reports that I had read commented on how the fly-by-wire throttle was a tad twitchy, especially pulling away from low revs. This didn't inspire a great deal of confidence, given that we were thinking of a number of trips to the mountains of Europe - Alps, Spain, Portugal, Austria......

Yamahas say that you shouldn't ride with both the panniers and top box. I suspect insurance companies would have a field day with that one.
I know I can do my own servicing on the ST1300
My ST1300A6 seemed to lack low down pulling power, and tight, uphill hairpins required a certain amount of clutch slipping. The A8 and later models have a different ECM, and the low down power is much much better. My A9 model is far easier to ride around tight uphill hairpins than was my A6.

Yet others in the club have owned FJRs and they have loved them (although most later changed them for BMWs !!

Just adding my two pence / cents. Excellent write up - thanks again.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thank you all readers. I am a glad to see my comments on the FJR and ST are of interest to you :)

Enjoy your mighty STs.

D

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Interesting write-up. I just posted a FJR/ST comparison yesterday without even knowing about this specific forum. I can certainly relate to a lot of your points, although I still truly enjoy my FJR.

Top Bottom