Drills Recommendations?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Drill Set Recommendation?

I'd like to get a small/medium set of quality metal drills maybe in both Standard and Metric (if there's such an animal). They're not something used often but I'd rather not skimp.

I've looked at Amazon from time to time and just when I'm ready to pull the trigger I see reviews full of complaints.

What say you?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A 14 piece set of bits between 1/16" and 1/4" should cover most any motorcycle or home project and then purchase single larger bits as necessary. I got my dad's tools and have 1/16 to 1/2" in 64ths but most of them I've never used in my lifetime. Those under 1/4" get used a lot and replaced as necessary.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Seems to me that drills back in the 70s and 80s would cut through just about any metal I attempted, including drilling out stuck bolts. The ones from the last 20 years or so seem to be able to cut wood, and that's about it, the metallurgy seems to have taken a big drop. I bought a set of cobalt bits a few years ago, and they seem a little better, but I haven't really put them to the test yet.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Hanson is/was a good brand.
I bought a Drill Dr. when I had to done out several broken bolts in my old dozer. It did a great job of refurbishing the bits after and during the abuse.
Most new stuff is cheap and junk. I got some great quality sets from an estate auction sale.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
richpeabody said:
For most hobbyists, occasional users, the Harbor Freight stuff works well.....
I had thought about HF but I was hoping for something stouter. I've seen drawers full of worn bits and that's one thing I'd rather not go to cheap on.

pumper316 said:
I also have a set of Ryobi titanium SAE bits that I got from HomeDepot.
I'll check that out!

dwalby said:
Seems to me that drills back in the 70s and 80s would cut through just about any metal I attempted, including drilling out stuck bolts. The ones from the last 20 years or so seem to be able to cut wood, and that's about it, the metallurgy seems to have taken a big drop. I bought a set of cobalt bits a few years ago, and they seem a little better, but I haven't really put them to the test yet.
This mirrors my experience as well and why I'm asking.

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I go hardware shopping at HF quite often, but the best money I've ever spent at HF is on these products. Been using them for the last 4 years and works better than a lot of the drill bits sold out there. Has never disappointed me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-coated-high-speed-steel-step-bit-set-2-pc-69088.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-high-speed-steel-step-bit-set-3-pc-69087.html

This is one of those must have tools if you've ever dealt with a broken head on a bolt.

https://www.harborfreight.com/center-drill-countersink-set-5-pc-60381.html

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Generally, the more you pay, the better the drill bits (as with most tools). But even expensive ones can have defects (poorly machined, or poorly treated, or substandard raw stock) and not perform as advertised. And vice versa: once in a while you find inexpensive ones that do very well.

I bought a nice set of HSS Makita bits ~10 years ago ... they've done well and all bits are still good (with infrequent use, frankly).

In order of benefit:
poor - common steels, coated (such as titanium coated)
ok - common steels if heat treated
good - HSS (high speed carbon tool steel), having trace adders like tungsten for strength and heat/wear resistance
better - even more tailored alloys (like cobalt steel, tungsten carbide, ...) which are each best at drilling specific materials

I'd price shop and read reviews. Pick a set that meets your price point and size range, and hope for the best (but also be prepared to get some 'duds').

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I bought a set of short HSS bits years ago, used them to drill stainless, cast iron, plastic, just about everything. Drill speed is everything. Slow is good on steel, unless it's really thin, oil/cutting fluid is your friend-never use WD-40.... I still have them, still going strong. The shorter length also makes them harder to break IMHO. Learn how to sharpen your own bits, I can, but I'm nowhere near as good as the old german guy that kinda taught me. Occasionally I'll find a bunch of used bits at my local machine/hydraulic/fabrication/bearing shop/supply house, they cycle their bits out on a regular basis. I'm on pretty good terms with the guys in the shop(I'm there a couple of times a week picking up steel or bearings or belts or summat-just brought home a 4x8 sheet of 1/4"HR steel for a skid pan I'm building for a tractor at work-that wasn't cheap-but I digress....) and they let me grab a few handfuls of those bits out of the scrap bin for free. They are HSS bits, and I'll use them and sharpen them as needed. Anything I need bigger than 1/2 inch I usually buy as needed. Get yourself a good set of step drills too, they come in handy for me all the time. A drill press is nice, I've got an old Delta bench top unit I've been using for about 10 years, I think I got it on sale for 50 bucks or summat(which reminds me, I need to order a new chuck key for it). Then I've got sets of el cheapo-onetime use only bits that just keep hanging around. A set of left twist bits is nice to have also(useless in a drill press) very handy for broken bolts, sometimes the heat and friction just spin the broken part right out, those I get from Snap-On or MAC.

Top Bottom