Self cancelling indicator system (ST2)

Bike
2005 GL1800
One of my main failings over many years of riding motorbikes is a failure to cancel the indicators after completing a manoeuvre.
I have tried audible warnings (beepers) with mediocre results, and visual reminders (LED cluster in the mirror pods on the ST1300) which was reasonably successful.
While refurbishing my 1996 ST1100 over the last few months I was looking into installing a similar modification using LED's, however it was soon obvious that it would not be as simple and would not be as neat (and I like neat).

While browsing the internet I stumbled across the ST2 system from “Safer Turn†in Slovenia (www.safer-turn.com).
I was initially surprised that I hadn't heard of it before, but it is apparently a fairly new product that came to the market after I sold my last bike in 2015.

I read various reviews and watched a couple of videos on the internet, and also read the installation instructions on the company website.
After a great deal of thought I decided to bite the bullet and placed an order which took about 4 days to deliver to the UK.
It is not a cheap option (€143) but I have spent that on a family dinner and my crash helmet cost nearly 4 times that.

Anyway, installation is quite straightforward, the unit needs to be mounted on the frame, in an upright position, as horizontal as possible and facing forward and then wired in to the harness that comes from the handlebar indicator switch.
On my bike there is a frame to the left, inside the nose fairing, that carries the ABS stuff and some relays. I installed the unit there, just needing to “ease†out a couple of the metal tabs that relays mount to.
The installation instructions are very comprehensive.
I extended the ST2 wiring with correctly colour coded wires, replacing the supplied bullet connectors with soldered connections at all points,
I disconnected the harness from the connection area under the front of the air filter housing and spliced into the wiring with soldered connections and shrink wrap.
I took the power feed from the 5A fused accessory circuit.
Possibly the trickiest part (for me anyway) was replacing the handlebar switch after inserting the supplied rubber discs to change it from a latching to a non-latching switch.

I have had the system installed for a few weeks now and it works exactly as advertised.

Replacing the bullet connectors with soldered and shrink wrapped connections should negate any connection problems due to the UK weather, so now it all depends on the reliability of the solid state electronics.

I am posting this because I think it is a good idea, and others may benefit from it.
I have no connection with the company, and while they have a “reward†programme if they sell a unit based on your recommendation, I am not signed up for that and I receive no financial gain from this company.

Attachments

Bike
VStrom 650
Sounds like an interesting bit of Kit, I'll take a looksy.
I agree about the handlebar switch, I wrote something on here a while ago, the knack is to locate the pin in the bar first and loosen the clutch master and roll back the left hand grip. It turns a head scratcher into a 5 minute job.
Thanks for your write up.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The STS system has a thread or two here and I think there are one or two other members who have it installed. At least one of them got in on the discounted price.

I've looked at the site a few times and have received many emails from them. I like the STS but it's a little pricey for my taste. But I think it's very slick and if it were cheaper...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I see Safer-Turn has an accelerometer-controlled brake light switch SBM. Or decelerometer as the case may be. Available Soon. Even discounted it's too pricey for me. But very cool tech.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Do the drop down menus work for anybody? They don't for me (not that they're actually needed). I wonder if they need Java.

Rxlane

ROBERT LANE
Do the hazard lights work I have read in other forums that this installed in Honda renders the hazard lights inoperable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I am posting this because I think it is a good idea
Do the hazard lights work I have read in other forums that this installed in Honda renders the hazard lights inoperable?
While I've only ever had one occasion to use my hazards I'd wouldn't care to lose them. That would seem more like a result of a bad install instead of a compromise of the STS.

Don any issue with your hazard lights?

Top Bottom