NC500 Scottish scenery at its best

Bike
ST1100
Having had the ST1100 for few months now, and bearing in mind that in dog years she's 154, just did 726 miles at weekend, including the "NC500". Panny never missed a beat, and the Hyperpro springs/oil at front and new shock on back proved to be money well spent. If you're doing this run, (North coast of Scotland 500) then be advised that particularly the Applecross section is very very busy. Fantastic scenery though, and never knew that Scotland had Alpine type break back mountain roads...was a bit of a shocker to someone with vertigo...try it for yourself.

Also chuffed to see at least a half dozen ST1100s on the route...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
NC500 ?

No. I reckon it's rubbish. I wouldn't bother with it.

We love going up to Scotland for a fix of the scenery and the wide open, peaceful spaces. Fortunately we know better routes and we are going up there again in the next couple of weeks, but we'll be doing the JFH2000.

So If you can spread the word that it is not as good as everyone says, we might get to enjoy the scenery and the routes one more time without any other people around !

scootac

Will Ride for Food
C'mon!!!!
All this talk of beautiful (which it is!) Scottish scenery.... and NO pictures of it????
You're killing me!!!!
:)

Bike
VStrom 650
20170526_152508-EFFECTS.jpg
This is the last one Scootac, you will get far too excited. Killin, Perthshire again in May. Again a great ride.
Although something strange does happen on a road trip, your trousers don't fit after 5 Scottish breakfasts.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is the last one Scootac, you will get far too excited. Killin, Perthshire again in May. Again a great ride.
Although something strange does happen on a road trip, your trousers don't fit after 5 Scottish breakfasts.
Upt'North.
Now you're giving me the itch to go back again! :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
was a bit of a shocker to someone with vertigo...try it for yourself.
While I'd love to see some Scottish countryside and meadows of heather I had a touch of vertigo myself just riding along the across/along/whatever the Snake River. Turn to look at some beautiful mountains still partially covered with snow. The world started to tilt and almost spin. Never had that happen before (or since) and it freaked me out slightly.

Bike
VStrom 650
Uncle Phil, you know you'll end up scratching that itch
ST GUI, Scotland isn't that high you know, yes it's got mountains but the highest wouldn't be a foothill in the Rockies, from recollection it peaks out on Ben Nevis at about 4400 ft and you can't ride up there, well not on a ST.
On the subject of Ben Nevis if anyone feels like walking up it, don't. It's like walking up grey featureless stairs for 4 hours and when you do get to the top there will be 80 mph winds and the only place to shelter is a hut they put dead climbers in awaiting recovery. If you're lucky you'll get a good view though.
Upt'North.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Upt'North.
That's why we wear kilts Upt'north!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
Now that would cause a stir, riding with a kilt!
Although that phrase"nothing to see here, move along", comes to mind.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom