40 amp alternator

Hey guys, first of all thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge here. I recently bought a 1991 st1100 with 60,000 miles on it and the original 28 amp alternator. Well it gave out around 900 miles into ownership. So I searched high and low for a 40 amp leading to partzilla for $420. My father in law owns an electric motor repair service and is a general electronic guru. Anyways he was able through one of his suppliers able to find me a brand new 40 amp alternator for $250 plus shipping. So if anyone's interested send me a message!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
$443+ normal retail
$250 or so distributor's cost
$100 or less manufacturer's cost

Don't even dwell on how much a $45,000 car really costs to manufacture.

OP
OP
honda91
Did I say that?
$200 off retail is fantastic when you can find it. Just the production engineer part of me rambling.
Right, I wasn't sure if too many people were doing the swap from the original 28 amp or how many of them are still running around anymore. Just wanted to throw it out there if anyone's looking for a cheaper alternative [emoji3]

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Just to be sure... you are offering to be a go-between (facilitator) for genuine Honda 40amp alternators for only $250 USD (+shipping)? If so... Amazing! Fantastic!!

Please email me your contact info so I can direct all the folks from all the ST forums that contact me about upgrading their 28amp ST1100s to 40amps (info, advice, parts sources, tool kits) to you.

Same deal on the other new Honda 40amper parts needed to complete the upgrade (shaft, bearing, base plate...)?

Edit: congrats on your alt upgrade, you've joined a very select group (approaching 200 STriders that I know of)! Send your info and I'll add you to the honor roll.

Regards, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
honda91
Nope just the alternator for cheaper. All of the rest of the parts were purchased at a local honda dealer using the part numbers provided

OP
OP
honda91
Just to be sure... you are offering to be a go-between (facilitator) for genuine Honda 40amp alternators for only $250 USD (+shipping)? If so... Amazing! Fantastic!!

Please email me your contact info so I can direct all the folks from all the ST forums that contact me about upgrading their 28amp ST1100s to 40amps (info, advice, parts sources, tool kits) to you.

Same deal on the other new Honda 40amper parts needed to complete the upgrade (shaft, bearing, base plate...)?

Edit: congrats on your alt upgrade, you've joined a very select group (approaching 200 STriders that I know of)! Send your info and I'll add you to the honor roll.

Regards, John
Yes, more than willing to help others needing the alternator! I'll send you my info.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Right, I wasn't sure if too many people were doing the swap from the original 28 amp or how many of them are still running around anymore. Just wanted to throw it out there if anyone's looking for a cheaper alternative [emoji3]

The 40 amp upgrade makes more sense, by far, than other alternatives. But....I love old bikes just the way Mr Honda made them. Part of being excessively OCD, I suppose. Right after I bought my 1991, I found a spare from a 1991 wreck with just under 5000 miles on it. I scooped the alternator up and put it away, with new O-rings as a spare. I have NOT seen a serviceable 28 amp unit in the eighteen months since...not on Craigslist, local wrecking yards, nationally advertising wrecking yards, Ebay...all seem to be dry.
So, now I can fix it if/when the alternator fails and keep it stock. That isn't much help if it croaks 1000 miles from home...making the 40 amp fix the sane and rational choice by far. The guys here really have the process down. Just read the article and use the loaner tools.
Best of luck with your upgrade. You won't regret it.

Top Bottom