ST1300 Rear Brake/SMC Recall?

I see on one of the Gold Wing forums that there was a GL1800 recall for rear brake and SMC. It sounds exactly like what many on this board have experienced and since both the ST and the GL use this SMC set up, is there a recall that I am missing? I can't find one for the ST. I would much prefer Honda fix my bike than me pay for it....

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
While I would trust my local honda shop to change out the smc. I would not trust them to properly bleed the brake system. Not without interviewing the mechanic who was to perform the task. And I say that as someone who has both worked with them,,, and as someone who has done that particular job myself. I am sure there are competent and experienced shops in various places,,, but don't blindly bet your life that your local shop happens to one of them. Just sayin',,,, Cat'

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The SMC recall for the GL1800's were for a different reason.
The SMC failures most commonly seen on the ST1300's are from contamination and corrosion, causing the piston to stick in the bore, and not return to its position, thus causing the rear brake to drag and/or lock up.
The SMC failures for the Goldwings was to to the size of the ports and a limited flow issue.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Do you suspect that your SMC is failing?
PM me a contact number if you want to chat on the white courtesy :call:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The SMC recall for the GL1800's were for a different reason.
The SMC failures most commonly seen on the ST1300's are from contamination and corrosion, causing the piston to stick in the bore, and not return to its position, thus causing the rear brake to drag and/or lock up.
The SMC failures for the Goldwings was to to the size of the ports and a limited flow issue.
From the GL 1800 SMC Honda SB # 23 (Oct 2015):

"Honda has determined that under conditions where the brake fluid is subject to prolonged aging due to a lack of maintenance (i.e., the brake fluid is not replaced for a long period of time despite the published maintenance schedule of replacement every 12,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first), deposits may form within the brake fluid. If sufficient deposits are formed, they can result in a malfunction of the secondary master cylinder, which may cause the rear brake to drag.
A redesigned secondary master cylinder with new internal valving is now available to correct this condition; in addition, Honda has updated its brake fluid replacement service procedure to better ensure that all old brake fluid is removed from the system."

Sounds very much like a contamination issue as well, doesn't it?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Perhaps, but when they got dirty, they found the ports were too small, and too easily clogged up causing failure.
Their fix was to tell you to bleed it more often, and enlarged the valving.
So, yes, and perhaps :rolleyes:

Top Bottom