Fuel pump not turning on

Bike
2005 ST1300
Problem is fuel pump not turning on. Full disclose. Leading up to the problem.

Dropped the bike on Saturday morning. Started right up and got some gas. Ran fine for over 100 miles and several starts and stops that day no problems. Sunday morning bike starts right up, go 1/10th of a mile for gas. Turn it off, get gas turn it on, turn around in the parking lot for a photo op at Hemmings in VT. Go to start it, F1 light stays out and fuel pump doesn't start up. Checked the fuses, wiggled wire bundles nothing.

Found a thread online that said to disconnect the battery for a bit. About 10 minutes, boom, starts right up? Runs fine up and over Molly Stark highway (rt9). Stopped at Hogback but left bike running. Pulling into Brattleboro and it starts to stall but while I'm still moving it starts again. That happened several more times randomly. Stopped 50ish miles later, bike turns off won't start. Disconnect battery again and wait 10 minutes. Starts right up. Stalls again several times on highway but moving it starts right up again. After 150 miles I make it home, turn it off open garage starts right up and drive it in.

Anybody experience similar and is there any checking or parts replacement before taking into a shop scratching me head?

I now remember some other problem. With the key removed the ignition lights and running lights were still on. The headlight wasn't on just the signal lights and the small lights next to the headlights.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Can't help with the fuel pump issue much but you may get more views and help if you can get it moved out of the "bearings" section into an appropriate area.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Sounds like we, as well as one other, may be in the same boat. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?160067-Starting-Issues would be interested in knowing if you had no spark as well. I disconnected the battery fr only five minutes or so which did not rectify the problem but generally to to find the fault while it's not starting. Keep this updated if you find anything out.

Bike
R1200rt
Problem is fuel pump not turning on. Full disclose. Leading up to the problem.

Dropped the bike on Saturday morning. Started right up and got some gas. Ran fine for over 100 miles and several starts and stops that day no problems. Sunday morning bike starts right up, go 1/10th of a mile for gas. Turn it off, get gas turn it on, turn around in the parking lot for a photo op at Hemmings in VT. Go to start it, F1 light stays out and fuel pump doesn't start up. Checked the fuses, wiggled wire bundles nothing.

Found a thread online that said to disconnect the battery for a bit. About 10 minutes, boom, starts right up? Runs fine up and over Molly Stark highway (rt9). Stopped at Hogback but left bike running. Pulling into Brattleboro and it starts to stall but while I'm still moving it starts again. That happened several more times randomly. Stopped 50ish miles later, bike turns off won't start. Disconnect battery again and wait 10 minutes. Starts right up. Stalls again several times on highway but moving it starts right up again. After 150 miles I make it home, turn it off open garage starts right up and drive it in.

Anybody experience similar and is there any checking or parts replacement before taking into a shop scratching me head?
fuel pumps are common, hot pump syndrome . listen for the fuel pump buzz for a second or two, when key is first turned on. then pull the seat off and check for power with a test light.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
The problem with the lights sounds like a burnt ground wire in the 24 pin connector under the left cowl.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Last month I rode my bike to Dallas. When it was really hot (90 plus) and after I filled the gas tank it had a problem. I would turn the key on then the engine cut-off switch to the on position. The FI light wouldn't light up for a second like it normally does and the engine wouldn't turn over. I toggled the engine cut-off switch and the key off and on and after a while the FI light would illuminate and the bike would start. Or I'd let it cool down for a few minutes and it would start right up. On the way home I stopped filling the tank all the way to the brim and for some reason it stopped doing it? Even when the temp was 106 in Missouri when I gassed up. When I got home I cleaned the side stand switch and the engine cut-off switch and knock on wood it hasn't returned. Hasn't been that hot here either.

OP
OP
Carter
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have traced my particular issue down to this ground wire bundle. I believe others have had problems with this same wires. it is on the right side if you are sitting on the bike up behind the headlight console.

My problem was the wire number 8 that you see with the tape on it. I cleaned with CRC Electronic Cleaner and greased it with dielectric. Hope this will prevent any future corrosion.

It is a difficult group to access, so be ready to remove most all plastic in the front. The bundle has short wires so there is no easy way to reach it without removing the plastic.groundWires.JPG

Top Bottom