Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need gear advice. Getting into camping again

Bike
    2008 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Need gear advice. Getting into camping again

Question for those who camp.

What sleeping bag would you guys recommend for a taller person?
    I'm 6'4" about 245 lbs. I'm looking for a bag that'll fit in a side case and be a 3 season bag but I don't camp enough to justify a super expensive bag. So budget is a plus.

I'm also looking for a good small but effective cooking system.
    I have a good tent. Trying to get new gear and get back into moto camping.

I have a foam compression pad thing, a good tent, a Coleman twin air mattress, but that's about all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Re: Need gear advice. Getting into camping again

Check out LL Beans sleeping bags. That's what i used until I tried my b in-law's lightweight down bag and a polartech bag my wife picked up at a thrift store. Together they are smaller than the stuffed Bean product, but likely more expensive new.

Every mfr makes a standard and large bag. You will have to decide on shape (which translates to comfort).

I like MSR stoves.

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

The most money you spend on camping should be your sleeping bag and air mattress. The rest you can cheap out on - somewhat..

If you want a cheaper sleeping bag then make your air mattress the highest priority - the cold from the ground will pull the heat from you and a regular non-insulated air mattress is useless unless it's 1 inch thick in which case it's not very comfortable - exped is the way to go in my opinion, but Big Agnes and Thermarest Neo Air are also options, small packed size and good R value. The big key with air mattresses is to get one that is wide enough, at least 25 inches, so you don't end up hanging off one side and touching the ground. Obviously, one that's in the 78 inch length.

Jetboil is great, compact and easy to use. But, you have many OPTIONS there.

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Mellow is right about a quality pad. Makes a huge difference at the end of the day. Crappy pad will have you being "not so eager" to call it a day....a good pad will have you looking forward to zipping up the bag for the night.
    I've had great luck with the reviews found here.... http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/

I swear by my MSR whisperlite stove.....or anything made by MSR for that matter. Look for a used stove on craigslist....there are tons.
    IBA #61245

Forgot to add.....if you enjoy coffee spend some bucks and get a decent system. For me, I can go without breakfast till I find a grocery store or restaurant....but I need coffee (good coffee) while packing up the tent etc.

Bike
    2001 ST1100 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I gave up trying to get everything in my panniers and decided to get a drybag. Hindsight always being 20/20, for me, two smaller drybags are better than 1 XL drybag. Easier to pack, carry and strap on. Plus I can keep the wet stuff separate from the dry stuff. I would suggest only get the minimum you need (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad) and then add as necessary, i.e. cot, cooking gear, chair, etc. You may find that cooking a gourmet meal in camp is not your thing and a cheap stove with a couple pans is good enough. Heck, mostly all I do is boil water with a $7 stove for coffee and Mountain House meals.

Keep an eye out for REI sales... I got my bag, tent and sleeping pad on closeout sales there.

Too much white... I'm working on it!

STOC #8735
    IBA #68258

8. The Following User Likes This Post:

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Lol I can't cook at home in a full kitchen so the most I plan on doing is cooking up hotdogs or water for MRE type meals. Yes I enjoy a coffee in the morning.

Wow mello those sleeping pads are great. I've traveled with a regular prob 10" thick Coleman airmattress lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Bike
    2001 ST1100 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I went to REI and actually layed down on their sleeping pads. Great way to see what thickness you need... found out 1" was not enough and 3" was too much. 2" was just right!

Bike
    2016 Kawasaki Versys
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

After selling my Gold Wing and camping trailer, it was time for me to get back to 'roughing it'. I already had three different bags for different times and location of camping. Bag I use the most is my Kelty rated down to 30. Not sure what model. I needed a tent and sleeping pad. My tent I close an Alps Mountaineering Aires 3 which I like. For my sleeping pad I got a Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe along with their Lux Air pillow. While using it on my first camp out in the mountains of Colorado, it lost air during the two nights we camped.

When I got back to Texas I called and they said send it back for replacement. That's where it went south. Took forever to get any replies after I sent it back. Finally got an email from the big boss there and said he was personally sending my replacement out and a Air pillow for my troubles. Received them and have blown the Air pad up and haven't had any loss of Air yet. The pillow he sent was one of their cheap ones so will give to my friend.

Now this pad isn't cheap, $115, and neither is the pillow, $40, but I went directly to their web sight, Klymit.com, and received a discount on my purchase with free shipping. They also sent me a free return of my pad to send back. Pic shows how small they both pack up.

As for cooking, I bought a Stryker a while back on Woot Out. Once I got the pot holder added to the set up, I can make coffee and can cook on it.

I'm with Paul, I use a dry bag to put my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and pillow in it. All the rest will fit in my panniers and Givi V47 tail trunk.

So I'm all set to go on another camp out, all we need here is some cooler weather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0280.jpg  
    Last edited by gmast1100; 08-23-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    My 90 CBR1000F-Proven to go 160 in Northern NM (Gone but not forgotten)
    Retired U S Air Force (1986)
    STOC's Gary #297 Carole #320 1991 ST1100/2011 Aspen Sentry (both RIP)
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

12. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

If you've used your sleeping pad and air mattress in cool to cold and are happy with it, you can stick with that. I can't help on the long bags as I'm only 5'8". But I finally switched to the Big Agnes system of sleeping bag and air mattress sleeve with insulated air mattress. Way more comfortable not having to fight to stay on the mattress. And it will be more compact that your air mattress/sleeping pad combo. I have the Big Agnes air mattress but will probably upgrade to the Exped Synmat as my air mattress is a little cool when camping below freezing even though my sleeping bag is rated at 15 degrees.

Cook system - the newer isobutane cook stoves are SO convenient that I finally switched from my white gas stoves and ultralight alcohol stove setups at least for moto camping on the big bikes. I have the MSR Windburner (can't be blown out as far as I can tell) or the similar Jetboil setups. Fairly compact and light. Not cheap though. If you wait for REI's fall and spring sales, you can get 20% off one item.
    Jeff Jones
    STOC #326 IBA #217

14. The Following User Likes This Post:

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast