Need gear advice. Getting into camping again

Bike
2010 ST1300
We have a Cooke custom sewing (CCS) ultralight tarp that we set up outside our tent so we're not sitting inside the tent if it rains all day. We stay dry, and can cook, drink, and just hang out; instead of being confined to one place....makes the trip a little nicer.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Missouri Welcome Sign.jpg

That's our "tent" in the background. Pretty good cook system. Keeps us out of the rain and away from snow. It has 750 watts of solar on the roof to keep us entertained with or without a place to plug in to ... No air mattress, memory foam.

John_Diego

Site Supporter
Bike
ST-1300/GL1800
Missouri Welcome Sign.jpg

That's our "tent" in the background. Pretty good cook system. Keeps us out of the rain and away from snow. It has 750 watts of solar on the roof to keep us entertained with or without a place to plug in to ... No air mattress, memory foam.
[h=5]Capt_Gruuvy - Glad to know you are still alive![/h]John

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I bring a kelty tarp when I'm camping. If rain is forecast, I set it up over my tent - it's large enough to extend past my tent with enough space for my camp chair and my bike.

These days, if the weather forecast calls for non-stop rain for days, I usually bail and get a motel room.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I bring a kelty tarp when I'm camping. If rain is forecast, I set it up over my tent - it's large enough to extend past my tent with enough space for my camp chair and my bike.
Have any pictures by any chance Mr Pants? I have the 10 ft Kelty tarp and don't believe I've ever used it. I have a few different alum poles, some collapse, some don't, but they aren't exactly handy to take on the bike. I've taken a couple on a few trips, but the weather was fine, so not used.
Basically, I'm not sure just what to do with this tarp, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I learned this the hard way:

4 man tent = 2 man tent in reality. Get a quality 4 man tent that packs to a length of no more than 24" with aluminum poles for MC camping. A 4 man tent only packs a little larger than a 2 man of the same kind. Weight is of secondary importance. The extra room is sometimes a godsend.

Leave the air mattress at home. It will not insulate you from the cold, cold ground effectively. Use a Thermorest, or equilivant, sleeping pad at least 1.5 " thick.

Get two bags, 24" wide max. A waterproof one for your dry stuff, and another one for your wet stuff (tent, rainfly). Bungee to your bike.

If you are going to stay in one place over one night, consider a rainfly. Wonderful things, especially when it is raining.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have any pictures by any chance Mr Pants? I have the 10 ft Kelty tarp and don't believe I've ever used it. I have a few different alum poles, some collapse, some don't, but they aren't exactly handy to take on the bike. I've taken a couple on a few trips, but the weather was fine, so not used.
Basically, I'm not sure just what to do with this tarp, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a photo of my setup with the Noah's Tarp. I have the 12 ft tarp with 2 Noah's poles and another short pole that all break down to fit in just 24 inches. Tent and tarp and poles ALL fit in a 35 liter dry bag. I use another drybag for stuff that goes inside as well as my camp chair (just 'cuz it fits in there). I can sit under the tarp if raining and cook and all that. As you can see the tie outs make for good clothes lines as well. I don't always set up the tarp, but always bring it along. Oh, the tarp also keeps the tent a bit cooler on hot camping days/nights.

Attachments

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That looks familiar Bob... was that at MNSTOC?

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
That is very similar to my Kelty Tarp. I don't have the poles, as I usually tie two sides to a tree and grab a stick for the third. My tent is about that size as well. As you can see, there's plenty of room for the camp chair (or two) and your bike.

Jim - the modern insulated air mattresses work very well - mine has an R-value of 4 and underneath my down bag, it's fantastic.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That looks familiar Bob... was that at MNSTOC?
Thanks for that picture. Is that an Alps tent?
Yes, and yes. That first photo was at MNSTOC 2016 with the tarp. The other attached photo (don't know how that one was added on since I didn't attach it) shows MNSTOC this year without the tarp. As that second photo shows I use the short pole with a rope off the end of the tent for a clothes line. That is an Alps Extreme 2, 2 person tent. I really like the way the main poles cross back on each other over each end of the top and a 3rd pole across the center holds the walls out even more for added space inside. 2 very large vestibules. Packs to 21 inches.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Just used that tent for the first time at the BRG this year Bob. Liked it a lot. Lots of room for a small tent, and I've not had vestibules before . This has two of em. They're great. Now I have to actually use the Kelty tarp!

I now remember your review and pictures of that tent. Helped me a lot.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Here's a photo of my setup with the Noah's Tarp. I have the 12 ft tarp with 2 Noah's poles and another short pole that all break down to fit in just 24 inches. Tent and tarp and poles ALL fit in a 35 liter dry bag. I use another drybag for stuff that goes inside as well as my camp chair (just 'cuz it fits in there). I can sit under the tarp if raining and cook and all that. As you can see the tie outs make for good clothes lines as well. I don't always set up the tarp, but always bring it along. Oh, the tarp also keeps the tent a bit cooler on hot camping days/nights.

Looks like one more piece of equipment I am missing! Thanks for the pix. How is it holding up in the wind?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For me, it's an exercise in perfection. It seems every camping trip I take I change something a little to see if it's faster or more convenient or if I even used it at all.

Some love their kermit chairs for instance and they are nice and comfortable however, for me, I'm usually just fine with the picnic table/bench seats that many campgrounds have. So, I prefer to pack the rei flexlite chair or equivalent because it's so light and takes up very little space, I can pack it in saddlebags, trunk or include in my bag w/tent, etc. Note: The G4Free and other copies of the flexlite chair are much cheaper and use the older design whereas the new flexlite appears to be less stable due to the change in pole configuration.

Everyone is going to make adjustments on each trip and then decide what items they always, sometimes or never use... then prioritize from there. I can do without coffee or a stove - the headaches stop after a couple days lol - so that is near the bottom of my list when packing.

The extra tarp is nice but I just don't think I'd use it often enough. I can get all my gear on in my tent and as long as you close your eyes when doing it it's not tough... LOL... of course, sometimes I do have my pants on backwards but those that have met me don't seem to look at that as something odd... hmmm.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Plus 1 on the REI Flexlite chair. $150.00 for a Kermit camp chair is ridiculous. And I don't find them much more comfortable than the REI chair.

Overall, I can say that the more I do this, the less I bring. You just don't need as much as you think.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I have downsized from a Gold Wing and camping trailer to my Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Big change. So now I’m back to a tent and sleeping gear and readjusting what to take or not. By next summer I should have it down. :)

old fool

I'll be road testing the Redverz Atacama this month so stand by - room to stand up int he vestibule. I have the Nemo Cosmo 30 XL for my 6'1" frame and I have tried it out on the floor with success.

Stay tuned . . .

Top Bottom