Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need gear advice. Getting into camping again

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR
    My Gallery

Re: Need gear advice. Getting into camping again

That is very similar to my Kelty Tarp. I don't have the poles, as I usually tie two sides to a tree and grab a stick for the third. My tent is about that size as well. As you can see, there's plenty of room for the camp chair (or two) and your bike.

Jim - the modern insulated air mattresses work very well - mine has an R-value of 4 and underneath my down bag, it's fantastic.

2. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2014 CTX1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by paulcb View Post
    That looks familiar Bob... was that at MNSTOC?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanR View Post
    Thanks for that picture. Is that an Alps tent?
    Yes, and yes. That first photo was at MNSTOC 2016 with the tarp. The other attached photo (don't know how that one was added on since I didn't attach it) shows MNSTOC this year without the tarp. As that second photo shows I use the short pole with a rope off the end of the tent for a clothes line. That is an Alps Extreme 2, 2 person tent. I really like the way the main poles cross back on each other over each end of the top and a 3rd pole across the center holds the walls out even more for added space inside. 2 very large vestibules. Packs to 21 inches.
    STOC # 8058
    /bob
    Yep, that lone state of ME is where I owned my first mc.
    Photos on Flickr

Bike
    1999 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Just used that tent for the first time at the BRG this year Bob. Liked it a lot. Lots of room for a small tent, and I've not had vestibules before . This has two of em. They're great. Now I have to actually use the Kelty tarp!

I now remember your review and pictures of that tent. Helped me a lot.
    1999 ST1100
    1991 ST1100
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    STOC #7959

Quote Originally Posted by rjs987 View Post
    Here's a photo of my setup with the Noah's Tarp. I have the 12 ft tarp with 2 Noah's poles and another short pole that all break down to fit in just 24 inches. Tent and tarp and poles ALL fit in a 35 liter dry bag. I use another drybag for stuff that goes inside as well as my camp chair (just 'cuz it fits in there). I can sit under the tarp if raining and cook and all that. As you can see the tie outs make for good clothes lines as well. I don't always set up the tarp, but always bring it along. Oh, the tarp also keeps the tent a bit cooler on hot camping days/nights.

Looks like one more piece of equipment I am missing! Thanks for the pix. How is it holding up in the wind?

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

For me, it's an exercise in perfection. It seems every camping trip I take I change something a little to see if it's faster or more convenient or if I even used it at all.

Some love their kermit chairs for instance and they are nice and comfortable however, for me, I'm usually just fine with the picnic table/bench seats that many campgrounds have. So, I prefer to pack the rei flexlite chair or equivalent because it's so light and takes up very little space, I can pack it in saddlebags, trunk or include in my bag w/tent, etc. Note: The G4Free and other copies of the flexlite chair are much cheaper and use the older design whereas the new flexlite appears to be less stable due to the change in pole configuration.

Everyone is going to make adjustments on each trip and then decide what items they always, sometimes or never use... then prioritize from there. I can do without coffee or a stove - the headaches stop after a couple days lol - so that is near the bottom of my list when packing.

The extra tarp is nice but I just don't think I'd use it often enough. I can get all my gear on in my tent and as long as you close your eyes when doing it it's not tough... LOL... of course, sometimes I do have my pants on backwards but those that have met me don't seem to look at that as something odd... hmmm.

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR
    My Gallery

Plus 1 on the REI Flexlite chair. $150.00 for a Kermit camp chair is ridiculous. And I don't find them much more comfortable than the REI chair.

Overall, I can say that the more I do this, the less I bring. You just don't need as much as you think.

Bike
    2016 Kawasaki Versys
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I have downsized from a Gold Wing and camping trailer to my Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Big change. So now I’m back to a tent and sleeping gear and readjusting what to take or not. By next summer I should have it down.
    My 90 CBR1000F-Proven to go 160 in Northern NM (Gone but not forgotten)
    Retired U S Air Force (1986)
    STOC's Gary #297 Carole #320 1991 ST1100/2011 Aspen Sentry (both RIP)
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234