Initial Impressions

Bike
92 ST1100
I am at my desk fresh off the bike for the first highway ride.

I purchased my bike a few weeks ago, but on the first trip I discovered I had a weak battery and an inoperative charging system at a gas station. Luckily near home.

I replaced the stock 28 amp alternator with a 40 amp unit over the past couple of days and wrapped that up this evening. I then went for a test ride.

My previous bike is a 2012 Yamaha FZ1. It's still in the stable, but the fiance now rides it.

Things I noticed on my approximately 30 mile round trip:

The clutch grabs far out on lever travel.

The bike is smooth and quiet. Barely any engine noise at highway speeds.
Perception of speed is much different. I found myself cruising at 95MPH without realizing it.
I feel like the speedometer is inaccurate and I will verify with GPS soon. I was going to on this ride, but it started raining so I put my phone away.

The top of the windshield, which I believe is stock, is right, exactly in my line of sight. The plastic is distorting to look through as well.
Also, the windshield is nearly impossible to see through when wet.
At highway speeds, I think the windshield may be causing some back pressure or other odd fluid flow. I felt like my helmet got heavier or my shoulders were being pushed down/forward.
For reference, I am about 5'10-11" and normal build.

The suspension is soft. Very soft. Almost like a 1970s Cadillac. I barely noticed train tracks and highway bumps.
But the squishyness does not inspire confidence for twisty roads. The rear shock is a Progressive Suspension unit. I do not know if the front has any modifications.
I think I felt some front end wobble or bouncing.
I am comparing to an FZ1 with the suspension dialed up kinda tight, though.

The front end makes a noise that is best described as a roar. It seems to be from wind.

My temperature gauge stayed at the 1/3 mark while cruising and climbed to the middle at stop lights.

This is by far the largest and heaviest bike I have owned. The weight is noticeable at walking pace but disappears once moving.
For anyone who cares, I started riding in May 2014 on a 1982 Honda CM250C. Then a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750, then 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 750, and then a 2012 FZ1.

I have already farkled by adding a Stebel Nautilus horn, always live power outlet, ignition live power outlet, and ignition live USB ports.
A few more things are on my list.

I am excited to be a part of this friendly and helpful community and I cannot wait to put some serious miles on my new STeed. Looks like I will be taking my honeymoon to Yellowstone in two weeks by bike and not car after all.
:biker:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Congrats on the new bike! Although I got a 2006 ST1300, my findings were about the same.

Have a great trip to Yellowstone!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Commendable job on the 40 amp upgrade. Peace of mind on trips will be well worth the effort you put into it.
I refurbished a 1991 and noticed some of the same characteristics, namely the soft suspension and windshield.
These bikes are old, what mileage hasn't done to seals, time probably has. Flush the fluids..clutch and brake and re-evaluate their function relative to your expectations. Rebuild the cylinders or adjust the levers.
Same with the forks. Steering head bearings and wheel bearings should be checked and replaced if necessary. Depending on when your rear shock was installed, it may be due for replacement.
I'm 5' 10"...the stock windscreen directed air right into my helmet at eye level and I had lots of wind noise. Also couldn't ride over 40 mph with my visor up...not really cool here in Texas during warm weather. I replaced it with a 20" aftermarket, got it used so I don't know the maker. It has no flip at the upper lip, but the windstream clears my helmet...almost no wind noise and no pressure on my helmet. The plastic partially in my field of view was bothersome at first but I got used to it.
I also learned to watch the speedometer frequently. Bike/wind noise provide little auditory indication of speed.

Bike
VStrom 650
Can't comment on your shock as I run a newish OEM, which when adjusted is just fine and dandy.
The clutch seems pretty much stock (they all do that sir), mine does nothing until the last inch or so of movement but it seems solid enough.
Oh, and don't let the honeymoon spoil a good ride.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The clutch grabs far out on lever travel.
This has been the case for every hydraulic-clutched Honda I've owned. You either get used to it or get a dog-leg adjustable lever to move it in closer for better manipulation. Your preference.

oren09 said:
I feel like the speedometer is inaccurate and I will verify with GPS soon. I was going to on this ride, but it started raining so I put my phone away
I don't know about the 1100 but the 1300's speedo is definitely over optimistic. Some choose to correct it with a Speedometer Healer (?) with then alters the accuracy of the odometer (at least on the 1300). I just live with it. It helps keep me honest.

oren09 said:
I found myself cruising at 95MPH without realizing it.
Oh yeeaaaaah. This took a little getting used to. It still happens when passing a car especially if the car decides you're not going to pass.

Sounds like you should go through the front end and check out alignment and torque at the very least.

One other farkle (strictly cosmetic) is the clear lenses with LED switchback bulbs. It really freshens the look of the STs and looks especially good on the 1100. Again a personal preference.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good write-up. A few observations...

Your clutch sounds normal.

The roar from the front end is likely your tire.

Temp gauge action sounds normal... 1/4 - 1/3 in clean air cruise. Fan should come on about 12:30. Should not go past 1 in stop/go traffic.

Speedometer is most likely 5-7% high, as are most of them.

I suspect your windshield is aftermarket. I believe the stock one is lower than what you describe. Also the stock shield has two cat eye holes in it.

Enjoy your honeymoon!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
windshield is definitely aftermarket, I'm 5-8 and I look over the stock one by a fair margin, its never in my direct view.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The speedos on both of my bikes read ~ 5 mph above (checked against GPS)- I went with a short shield (Clearview)- 9" on the 2000, 11" on the 94- right now, I have no plans to go back to a taller shield. You can also buy a fork brace (superbrace) to tighten up the front end (not for ABS bikes) if you can find one online.

Congrats...these bikes pretty much run forever with not a lot of maintenance.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
I took the bike out to lunch today and I noticed another thing: I keep hunting for that 6th gear.
To be fair, I was looking for a 7th gear on the FZ1 quite often, but on the ST I keep thinking, "Am I really out of gears already?"
I'm not sure why Honda only did 5 speeds in the 11 and I hope the 13 has six gears.

The windshield may not be stock. It does not have the eye vents.

I just took these pictures:
http://imgur.com/7BAlPA5
http://imgur.com/Fm32Cm5

EDIT: Added the images as attachments as well.

EDIT2: I forgot that my speedo stopped working while riding. The cable is still attached, but the needle only twitches a bit a low speed. Doesn't move at all at normal speeds. I'll disconnect and inspect the cable after work.
What is the recommended lube since this cable spins in the sheath? Grease or cable lube?

Attachments

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^ Not stock (the windshield)- many are available though...you just have to decide what you want (short, tall, 'cat eyes' or a vent, laminar lip, etc). Lots of choices if you don't like the shield you have.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Good to know.
Any idea what that one may be?
Also, advice on going shorter or taller? I've never had a bike where I looked through the windshield.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I hope the 13 has six gears.
No such luck. Honda has occasionally put six-gears in different bikes. My V56 Sabre had 6 but my VF1000 Interceptor only had 5. For me buzzing around at 4000+rpm gets a little old.

Bike
2002 ST1100
Nice write up!
I just got a new to me 2002 ST1100, and have noticed how much that thing likes to run fast.
I keep looking down and I'm over 85. Unlike most other bikes I have owned, the ST feels solid as a rock when running real fast.
All my other bikes become twitchy at those speeds.
I am concerned that I might pick up one of them Great Driving Awards the LEO's give out.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
There are 5 settings on the progressive shock, turn the dial clockwise ONLY to get the desired effect. You can also crank down the preload with the threaded rings. It's also possible the shock has lost it's gas charge, you will then need to have it rebuilt. Flushing out the fork oil and replacing it with a slightly heavier weight will help. If you let go of the handlebars at 30+ miles per hour do the handlebars shake, wobble? if so, you will need to replace the head bearings. Retorque after 600 miles after you install them.
I'm always searching for 6th as well. For sportier riding I keep the rev's up the power really comes on at 5K and the bike just moves.
A number of us are riding with maximum tire pressure both front and rear. (I'm pumped at 42psi front and rear)
speedo is of by 7-8% as already pointed out by previous poster.
Your findings for the cooling, I concur with others, normal. For chuckles take a look at the overflow tube at the filler cap, make sure it isn't split or a build up of crud. you're probably OK but it doesn't hurt to check.
Enjoy the ride and your honeymoon

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Also, advice on going shorter or taller? I've never had a bike where I looked through the windshield.
I don't know if the 1100 has more than one mounting point for a windshield but most people prefer to look over it. You might look for one that just 1-2" below eye level so you can look down a little without looking through it.

In a pinch you can always duck down a little if you need to. If the windshield is taller than eye level looking over it is a stretch if it can be done at all.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, yes, and yes. I'm 5'6" and look way over the stock windshield. Front end roar is the tire. (RP4 sounds like a truck tire after a while). Crank up the damping and preload to settle the rear. Change the fork fluid to settle the front. Very sensitive to tire pressure changes. Experiment to see what works for you. 36/42 up to 42/42. Check front wheel bearings and steering stem bearings. Rear drive spline grease and o-rings. If the clutch feels like it's fading when it's hot then it's time to check and clean the slave cylinder.

Gas, oil, tires, repeat.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Clutch and brake fluid flush are on my to-do list.
I'm getting used to the windshield but I am researching alternatives.

My tires are Bridgestone Battlax, and the road does seem to be the tire. It varies based on pavement type.

I'm also going to adjust the rear shock a bit more and add a fork oil change to the to-do list.

I rode the bike to work yesterday, and I kept making boat jokes during my commute.
Captaining the great ship on the rolling seas. Sending commands to the engine room. Etc
The clutch took some getting used to in stop-and-go traffic and I do not feel confident enough with this big bike to split lanes.

I am still amazed how well this bike handles roads and it's weight. Even wet on roads.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
I often do so on my commute home. Highway lanes are wide enough for most bikes to fit. Stop and go traffic in summer heat is miserable. You're a local, you should understand that.

I am not concerned about legality. I have passed several police while lane splitting and not a single one has pulled me over nor flashed lights or chirped the siren.
I split at about 15MPH, just above idle speed on the FZ1.

Top Bottom