BMW K1600 Bagger

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like the front end of that BMW somewhat more than that of the FB6 but BMWs just don't appeal to me despite the ton of bells and whistles that other bikes lack.

Ok I really do like the electric centerstand. That is a great bit of kit. Is the bagger's engine design new for the BMW lineup? I'm really not familiar with their modern lineup. When I hear the name I still think of the old HO twins.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That BMW has been mentioned on the CTX forum for over 2 years now. What is usually said is that BMW is finally attempting to catch up to Honda (F6B and CTX1300). It is a nice set of features though.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I like the front end of that BMW somewhat more than that of the FB6 but BMWs just don't appeal to me despite the ton of bells and whistles that other bikes lack.

Ok I really do like the electric centerstand. That is a great bit of kit. Is the bagger's engine design new for the BMW lineup? I'm really not familiar with their modern lineup. When I hear the name I still think of the old HO twins.
The motor has been around since 2011. Its a narrow straight 6 cylinder. Leans forward and is @ 160hp. I here a lot of good things about it except the cost of having the valves shimmed if they need it.

Not trying to change the subject but what about the famous BMW reliability as concerns this model? Ive heard they have fixed all the problems BMWs have starting with this model. But then again, they said that about my F650 too!

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Not trying to change the subject but what about the famous BMW reliability as concerns this model? Ive heard they have fixed all the problems BMWs have starting with this model. But then again, they said that about my F650 too!
Actually BMW's have always been famously reliable and the customers famously complaining; my experience is Honda owners are almost completely the opposite: they typically gloss over almost any problem with their bike while apologetically seeking other owner's help :(.

BMW owners' articulately and vehemently complain about everything: noise, weather, fuel injection mapping, shifting, and bulbs burning, laptop computers clacking, while drinking the dealers coffee - which is always too hot or too cold. Must be something in the mustard. :D

Actually BMW's have always been famously reliable and the customers famously complaining; my experience is Honda owners are almost completely the opposite: they typically gloss over almost any problem with their bike while apologetically seeking other owner's help :(.

BMW owners' articulately and vehemently complain about everything: noise, weather, fuel injection mapping, shifting, and bulbs burning, laptop computers clacking, while drinking the dealers coffee - which is always too hot or too cold. Must be something in the mustard. :D
According to CR the Japanese made bikes have warranty work done on ~10% of bikes sold, Harleys 25% and BMWs 40%.:eek: My brother in law is a BMW mechanic and he says if you want a BMW get rid of it before the warranty expires. :eek: he says the last good BMW was the 750 three cylinder. :eek: Once a week my F650 would refuse to idle and the dealer couldnt fix it. :eek:

But Ive heard the 1600s dont have problems.

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
According to CR the Japanese made bikes have warranty work done on ~10% of bikes sold, Harleys 25% and BMWs 40%.:eek: My brother in law is a BMW mechanic and he says if you want a BMW get rid of it before the warranty expires. :eek: he says the last good BMW was the 750 three cylinder. :eek: Once a week my F650 would refuse to idle and the dealer couldnt fix it. :eek:

Your brother in law has the same validity quotient as every other in-law; a little lower than a drunk, knuckle dragging, ignoramus, but higher than CR. :D

Although my first BMW was a 750 three cylinder, over 30 years of ownership and probably 750K to a million miles on BMW's has had exactly 2 warranty claims - a battery and an electric switch. The only failure I've experienced was (you probably guessed it): a rear drive on a K1200LT with 106,000 miles on it that cost under $600 to repair. All bikes that are ridden are good!

Bike
03 ST1300A

lol, unless the 1600s are OEMed by Honda, I don't believe they don't have problems... even Hondas nowadays have problems.

I guess I'm just not into Baggers (CrossDressers) no matter what brand!

Baggers are nothing but a crossover of a Cruiser and a Full Dresser (what the old Harleys with fairings and saddlebags are/were called) So you get CrossDressers!
Agreed. Baggers dont appeal to me (something appears to be missing), but to each their own.

For me, there's also "too much stuff to go rwong", and with BMW's reputation (ie, reliability), I'll pass on *any* of their bikes, even if they offered free warranty for as long as i owned it (as it may sit days or weeks for a fix)

Bike
VStrom 650
I can see the thread as sort of changed, doesn't it always.
Re reliability, no one can argue that BMW hasn't had its fair share of problems lately and the 1600 has had a couple of recalls over here, can't remember what for but I can remember the 1600 owner who was jumping up and down in anger whilst telling anyone who would listen that the bike was an under developed pile of poop; he was swapping it back to a R1200RT.
BMW motorrad now provide a two year warranty on all approved BMW used bikes in UK, don't know about the US. This is a direct result of the perceived reliability issues to give customers some sleep filled nights.
I also think that this is part of a much bigger issue, along the lines of who would want to own any modern vehicle that didn't have warranty cover. Garage costs are enormous so I can see similar warranties becoming the norm, an awful lot of car companies are offering well priced extended manufacturers warranties, and I can see why. I believe Honda motorcycles used to do this in the US maybe it will come back.
Upt'North.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
IMHO I don't see any problem with the reliability of the K1600B or GA as mechanically they are almost identical to the K1600 GT/GTL. I have over 50,000 trouble free miles on my 2015 K1600GT. Yes, the earlier K1600s had some issues with the water pumps and switch modules but those have been resolved. I am not aware of any factory recalls on the K1600 model. BMW does currently have a recall on the GSA front forks.

My K1600GT came with a three year, 36,000 mile warranty which I have now extended for another 4 years with unlimited mileage.

Bike
VStrom 650
A quick check on Google brings up the recall history if anyone is interested.
Throttle valve is one and water pumps are mentioned.
Over here there seems to be issues with early gearboxes too, with several changed to later design under warranty.
Upt'North.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I just rode the K1600B! Dammit, two things I said I probably would never do just might happen now.

1. never pay that kind of coin for a bike
2. never pay that kind of coin for a bike and have it be a BMW(worried about reliability issues)

This is the first bike I've ridden that I could leave my beloved ST and not look back. The 1600B actually felt more responsive then my ST after I got back on my bike. I was totally impressed! Shift assist is fantastic! I do not know what the lean angle differences are but scraping my boots on the ST to the dealership then riding the K1600 through a hairpin on ramp with out scraping and still flat footing it while stopped!

The bagger name is what bothers me the most as I'm not that guy! I'm way too young to slow down yet (51) and I thought the K1600 would handle like a heavy pokey Harley bagger. Thought I could test ride it and walk away no dice, can't get it outta my head.

My brother got me looking into it as his 2014 Concourse is currently on Graigslist so he can go grab a K1600B. He also rides a ST for his work bike and he has set records on the patrol course with his ST.

All I'm saying is don't judge it by looks alone. Go try one, that engine is splendid! Dammit Honda, build a new sport touring bike already!

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
You'd be surprised how many Harley converts are going to the K1600B also the K1600GA (Grand American). Tons of new members joining the K16 forum and the majority are on the K16B.

I especially like the blacked-out version of the B with the black engine, etc.

I think the K16B and K16GA are going to be huge winners for BMW. Last year they posted a huge increase in sales. They're doing something right.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/01/article/bmw-motorrad-usa-2017-sales-report/

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I just rode the K1600B! Dammit, two things I said I probably would never do just might happen now.

If you like the speed of the ST, be aware that due to aerodynamics the K16B is limited to 127. I still love the looks of it but I'll stick with the GT. Also, if you can, ride a pre-2018 model. You'll notice a difference it the throttle response. Supposedly the 18's are less responsive at roll on than the previous years. I believe one posted that there is a software fix out or about to come out for it.​

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
IMHO I don't see any problem with the reliability of the K1600B or GA as mechanically they are almost identical to the K1600 GT/GTL. I have over 50,000 trouble free miles on my 2015 K1600GT. Yes, the earlier K1600s had some issues with the water pumps and switch modules but those have been resolved. I am not aware of any factory recalls on the K1600 model. BMW does currently have a recall on the GSA front forks.

My K1600GT came with a three year, 36,000 mile warranty which I have now extended for another 4 years with unlimited mileage.
The only recall I know of was 2013 and older models had a fuel neck ring replacement recall.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
If you like the speed of the ST, be aware that due to aerodynamics the K16B is limited to 127. I still love the looks of it but I'll stick with the GT. Also, if you can, ride a pre-2018 model. You'll notice a difference it the throttle response. Supposedly the 18's are less responsive at roll on than the previous years. I believe one posted that there is a software fix out or about to come out for it.
Say WHAT!! 127 seriously! So the GT isn't limited to 127? I like the speed of the ST but always felt it could use another 50 horse.

Yea I had read about the throttle before I rode it, my brother also let me in on that. For me it wasn't a problem just kinda weird. I could live with it but would prefer it fixed. I could do the GT also if it was all blacked out, but I haven't seen the GT with the black motor.

Top Bottom