How many is enough?

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Last year, a friend asked what was my favorite motorcycle, to which I responded, "Honda ST1100". He didn't think much of that, and expounded on the superiority of his sport bike, KLR650, Vulcan and a couple of others. Later on, he took a test ride on an ST which was for sale and decided to buy it. Still too heavy and not enough power.

He recently bought his 4th ST1100, all of which he rides at various times and, other than one KLR650, the others are neglected. He is looking at buying one right now, so that will be five. :)

Not sure, but think he's come to share my opinion? :)

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The only problem I see is getting them all farkled out. Then riding each one enough so the carbs don't get clogged. Also have to ride the other non-ST bikes to keep them running up to speed. Maybe he can get "fleet" discount on his insurance. :D

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I think he should mix it up a bit and grab a few 1300s. Isn't variety the spice of life? And really "too many" is very subjective to carry on, just share them so other can enjoy a great bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
How many is enough?

A different color to accent your wardrobe? Colors to match your mood?

I applaud anyone who likes a bike enough to own multiple iterations but my money (if I had any) would be better spent on different bikes entirely.

That Vaquero CB1100EX and F6Bto name just a few would be a different riding experience altogether. And a big scooter of some nature maybe a Bergman? Then there are similar experiences just different bikes. Maybe a small Triumph for around town? To paraphrase Tony Manero at Lenny's— 'Six. Six. Gimme six. That's good.' :grin:

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
How many is enough?

A different color to accent your wardrobe? Colors to match your mood?

I applaud anyone who likes a bike enough to own multiple iterations but my money (if I had any) would be better spent on different bikes entirely.

That Vaquero CB1100EX and F6Bto name just a few would be a different riding experience altogether. And a big scooter of some nature maybe a Bergman? Then there are similar experiences just different bikes. Maybe a small Triumph for around town? To paraphrase Tony Manero at Lenny's— 'Six. Six. Gimme six. That's good.' :grin:
Yeah, you're right. The Burgman, and the Vaquero are different riding experiences, and each are excellent in they're own way, but the ST is still my favorite.
If money was no object, I'm sure I could find room for a couple of Triumphs (Trophy SE, and Truxton R), and a Wing. So I'm with you on six, but with the wife's Burgman, makes seven.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but the ST is still my favorite.
+1. A hallmark of Honda engineering that's true of every Honda I've owned is the sum total of its parts makes it (and them) a jack of all trades though master of none. That's a good thing as I don't have a bike to match a given experience at any moment so the ST has to do.

For the most part it does quite well. And quire reliably to boot.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Three........That is the answer! Then the answer is two........... And hopefully soon .......One!!! Anyone want a really nice 05 with some goodies?????? Low miles...24k. Need space for other Honda toys...

ToddC

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Three........That is the answer! Then the answer is two........... And hopefully soon .......One!!! Anyone want a really nice 05 with some goodies?????? Low miles...24k. Need space for other Honda toys...

ToddC
ok, but comes with the Maggs?

greg_in_npvl

V65 Rider
Bike
2003 ST1300/ST1300A
I think when someone has to build a second garage/shed they might have too many [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
For now I'd say 3. I'd settle for a light-medium weight dual sport, an allroad and a (sport) touring machine.
After selling off most of my bikes in Europe in preparation of my moving to Mississippi, I'll have to start over. Still waiting for my all road to clear customs (Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré).
I'd love to get another ST1100 and perhaps a DRZ400, but first things first.
We'll be remodelling the house, add a garage which will open up opportunities for an extended stable ;-)

At least I've managed to get both car & mc drivers license for MS today without having to take de driving test - tomorrow I'll check the shipper again to see if they have an ETA for the bike yet.

It depends what you want to do. I own 3 right now.

DRZ 400 is great for dirt, gravel, and trail. Easy to work on and load in back of the pickup and haul to where I want to ride. I don't like the close range gear box, carburetor jetting, and chain maintenance. Woonjas I could make you a great deal on this bike, but getting it to Mississippi could be a problem.

Goldwing is the best bike I've owned for 2 up. I don't like the turbulence created by the big faring. At freeway speed the passenger can get pretty beat up. The suspension is a little lacking.

Right now at my age in life the ST 1300 is all I need. I'm still a big ST fan I wish Honda still made the model. I've never ridden an 1100 but I'm sure it's a great bike. If I did not own one I'd take ToddC up on his offer.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It depends what you want to do. I own 3 right now.

DRZ 400 is great for dirt, gravel, and trail. Easy to work on and load in back of the pickup and haul to where I want to ride. I don't like the close range gear box, carburetor jetting, and chain maintenance. Woonjas I could make you a great deal on this bike, but getting it to Mississippi could be a problem.

Goldwing is the best bike I've owned for 2 up. I don't like the turbulence created by the big faring. At freeway speed the passenger can get pretty beat up. The suspension is a little lacking.

Right now at my age in life the ST 1300 is all I need. I'm still a big ST fan I wish Honda still made the model. I've never ridden an 1100 but I'm sure it's a great bike. If I did not own one I'd take ToddC up on his offer.

It's a real clean bike.....:bow1::biker:

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Big Ron got online and noted-

"Then riding each one enough so the carbs don't get clogged."

I concur. Motorcycles like to be ridden. A 10 year old bike with 5k miles not as good as same bike with 50k IMHO. I like bike mileage to reflect the bike's age. Otherwise I'm going to say it sits looooooooong periods in the garage= not good.

Back to the subject at hand. Owning multiple bikes you have to keep up with which bike needs riding. After buying the CB, I printed monthly calendars, placed the pages in a 3 ring binder, and note each day I ride, and on what bike. I can glance to it to see which bike is due, and can quickly note the last time a bike has been out. That way none of them suffer from neglect. I manage to ride each one several times a month for 3-500 hundred miles at least.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 Honda st1300
As long as he has the garage space to store them and keep them all in good drivable condition, then I say go for it. Buy as many as you want. I personally had 3 motorcycles at one time.

Top Bottom