Old School Compass on ST

I used a small boat compass for years on a past bike. The boat compass used a liquid that would not freeze. The compass got me in the neighborhood and a paper map got me to the street. Makes for an interesting ride.

Len

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
You mentioned that you use a GPS. Does it not have a compass option on it that you can use?
It has a compass. Problem is the T intersection was not in the gps rather it showed no intersection and indicated the narrow country road we were on continued north. Compass said we were facing almost due north so we foolishly took the right. The road didn't continue east, but meandered back south after a few miles. Given the degree of overcast, I didn't realize that for 45 minutes or so. That's the point we were passed, the other direction, by a back of Harley guys. We turned around and followed them. Once we were on Hwy 1 and into the Ouachita range, the gps remembered where it was and worked fine after that. At that point, I knew where we were going. It's a Google ap on my wife's Iphone. She keeps it, her mp3 player and small tablet pc in the backpack I wear for that purpose on our longer trips. We haven't gotten lost many times and that really isn't a problem....we always end up someplace.

Top Bottom