MC Cruise control and LED brake lights

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have the old 2004 version of MC Cruise on my bike, it has been flawless on my bike for almost 14 years. Recently, I "upgraded" my tail/brake lights to LEDs.
Guess what, my cruise control does not like these, and will not work without some sort of special harness installed.

Lesson learned. Putting the old bulbs back in.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
The cruise is looking for some electrical resistance on the brake light wire and the LED bulbs don't have the needed resistance to prove that the cruise cancel wire is connected. Adding the proper resistor across the LED's will correct the problem.

Ride Safe
John

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The cruise is looking for some electrical resistance on the brake light wire and the LED bulbs don't have the needed resistance to prove that the cruise cancel wire is connected. Adding the proper resistor across the LED's will correct the problem.

Ride Safe
John
Thanks, I figured as much. The LEDs are great and put out a bunch of light, but I am going to just do the simple thing and put new 7334s back in.

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Pick up a 194 socket pigtail from your local auto parts store and splice it into the brake light wire. A 5V bulb should put out enough load for the CC to work.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Interesting! I experienced the same problem when I installed LED flashing brake light; my Audiovox Cruise stopped working. Going to try a combo of a regular 7334 and an LED and see what happens. If it doesn't I'm going back to regular 7334s.

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Interesting! I experienced the same problem when I installed LED flashing brake light; my Audiovox Cruise stopped working. Going to try a combo of a regular 7334 and an LED and see what happens. If it doesn't I'm going back to regular 7334s.
Use a 5-prong relay to wire up the audiovox. I have the Audiovox on my Valkyrie with a LED tail light and it works perfectly.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?119551-ST1300-Audiovox-CCS-100-Troubleshooting

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

Ride Safe
John
Umm.. close, and in a way will work but it is also adding resistors and wasting power when the LED's should be saving it
The cruise is looking to see ground via the bulb when the brake light is not activated. The ground comes through the filament (with a little resistance) on the incandescent. LED's will not allow this flow as they are a diode (electrons only flow one direction). So th eresistor is taking the plac eof the old filament.

Using a relay is the easiest way around. Ground the cruise wire through the relay nc contacts and let the brake lights activate the relay to lift the ground.

Top Bottom