OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Try taking your bike to a dump station... I haven't tried; but, because they 'charge' they'll know to the pound!
That's what I'm planning to do.
With any luck the previous mega dollars spent on tipping fees will provide me a free weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Try taking your bike to a dump station... I haven't tried; but, because they 'charge' they'll know to the pound!
not so sure about that, if you're talking about landfills, etc. they usually charge by the ton, and weigh to about 50 or 100 lbs resolution, maybe 20 if you're lucky. Haven't been there for a while, so I may be wrong, but they're not going to weigh to the pound.

edit: here's a public scale locator app, looks like there's one across the bay from you in Ferndale, WA. There's a phone number to call, ask them what kind of resolution they can provide.

http://www.publicscaleslocator.com/

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Forgive me for repeating my self as I believe we touched on this in another thread - if you like the St 1300 buy it , ride it ,enjoy it and don't obsess about the weight either unto itself or as compared to similar machines . When it is rolling all those considerations disappear. As others have pointed out and you have recognized there are other factors other than weight that affect the ease of which it can be pushed/paddled around . As I mentioned in the other thread I am 64 yrs old, 155 lbs, 5'10" with 30" inseam and TINY feet. Bought my 2007 St1300 non ABS new without a test ride - most dealers in NJ didn't allow it - plunged in head first and have no regrets - haven't dropped it yet . Trust me - with a little common sense you will learn to deal with it during the tiny percentage of the time you are using it that manually wrangling it involves.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
edit: here's a public scale locator app, looks like there's one across the bay from you in Ferndale, WA. There's a phone number to call, ask them what kind of resolution they can provide.

http://www.publicscaleslocator.com/
Interesting link. I live in an all residential suburban neighborhood and a so called public scale is shown a long block away. At a house. Now they might have something in the garage, but i doubt it. When I input our previous zip code (in a similar neighborhood) I get an online sweets store with no posted physical address.

If you use this link, better call first if you don't know the area well.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I stopped at a scale when I was commuting 230 miles a day, early in the morning, not sure how accurate, but a quick stop with me in full gear, full tank and about 20lbs in saddlebags it read...........1,020lbs. :eek: :eek:

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
What is your definition of "handling on the ground" that you're concerned about? Are you talking about lifting the machine upright after an adventure ride gone sideways? Or about general manhandling of the pig around the paddock?

I'm from the short end of the bench (5'6" 30" inseam). "Oopsies" happen and you just have to use proper body mechanics and lift with your legs. Manhandling while sitting on the seat just doesn't happen. Not enough leverage. Have to get off and push it around.

Subjective personal opinions: Recently upgraded from an ST11, and the ST13 is shorter wheelbase, lighter and more flickable. Windscreen airflow noise is an issue. Very mild mannered handling but dances around a lot in high speed traffic turbulence, "Pan weave"? Riding buddy has a C14. Rode that for a few minutes and was not comfortable with it at all. Too big for me. Tall and top heavy. Tippy-toes only. I Worried I was going to drop it. (He has already been trapped under it in his garage). Rev-happy and viciously fast as you'd expect from a Kawasaki. Lots of electronic bells and whistles. Briefly rode a new FJR in town at low speed. Really wanted to like it but didn't have enough time with it to form a strong opinion. Tall but doable. Wide. More forward leaning riding position. Gobs of torque. Wasn't enamored with the engine whine. That would get old fast.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
While I don't want to muddy the waters further you may want to consider costs of ownership if you have not already done so - 10 years ago when I purchased my ST I also considered the Yamaha - as I recall it was lighter but cost nearly twice as much to insure as the insurance industry lumped it in with the sport bikes while they considered the Honda a tourer . This may be different now for you in your location . I also considered the BMW but it was far too costly to purchase and maintain and as I recall ( may be wrong ) it had boosted brakes - a totally unnecessary complication on a motorcycle IMHO - technology for technology's sake . Hope this has
been of some help and not confused you further - Richard

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
ST11, and the ST13 is shorter wheelbase, lighter
I looked up the weights of the 1100 and 1300 on Wikipedia and was surprised how close the weights are; within 20 lbs. Is the 15 tipovers that you show in your profile all with the 1300 or does it include both bikes?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Re: Actual weight of ST1300

I'll describe my situation.
I have a 60' long, single lane gravel driveway that slopes gently toward the house.

So I have to do a three point turn to turn around when I'm at the house end of it.
I'm thinking about how will I turn the ST around at the end.
I've backed my Tiger down it and it's doable. A bit dicey but doable.

It's not the deciding factor by any stretch.
I was really more interested in satisfying a need to rule the other bikes out because they are "lighter".

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There are always other solutions to your problem.....
You need to invest in some concrete, or asphalt, or if it is not yours four of sheets of plywood and make a small turn around area/parking spot for your bike...
The darkside at 28 psi will do you well on the gravel road....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Windscreen airflow noise is an issue. Very mild mannered handling but dances around a lot in high speed traffic turbulence, "Pan weave"?
I'm about your height and changed to a taller Calsci windshield - I find it very quiet in anything other than turbulent air (behind semi's).

Last year I refilled my preload and 'fixed' the rear shock damping by playing with the screw. On my first ride, I experienced a lot of instability behind trucks. Acting on suggestions here, I dialed both back to stock settings and the weave mostly went away - back to pre-meddling stability. You might want to play with these two settings.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
There are always other solutions to your problem.....
You need to invest in some concrete, or asphalt, or if it is not yours four of sheets of plywood and make a small turn around area/parking spot for your bike...
The darkside at 28 psi will do you well on the gravel road....
Yup the plan is the pave the driveway.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Apologies because I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

Unless one is concerned only with loading weight, the weight of a motorcycle is not the whole picture. The ST's are, for example, easier to stand up than a KLR650 which weighs around 1/2 as much. The height of the center of gravity, and a host of other factors can be more important to the ability to control and maneuver during riding or pushing. I strongly recommend that you find an ST in your area and try it + the other candidates on your list.

A huge plus for the ST's is the tip over wings, not present on many other bikes. These make a "nap" into a minor event, while a similar drop can be a disaster for many other bikes.

The same goes for seats because one's behind is unlikely to be similar to someone else'.

Windscreens are another really odd observation: people will compare the height of a windscreen which they think someone needs, according to how tall is the rider. Really? What does the standing on one's feet height have to do with a windscreen height? Little to nothing, IME. People usually use a windscreen while seated, so far as I have observed, and seated heights are often very different in comparison. People are not positioned the same distance back from the windscreen, etc.

Best try the bikes on your list and see which actually works best for your maneuvers, even better for the experienced owner to do the maneuver also, IME.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
thread hijack alert:

Tipovers?, that's just the ST11. No crashes per se. Just many years of learning curve riding two-up on a heavy bike, rutted gravel driveway, and general stupidity. Haven't dropped the 13, yet. Wings on the ST11 have saved my bacon several times. Expecting those on the ST13 will do the same.

60ft of gravel? I've got 500 feet of gravel drive uphill to the road, then 1.5 miles of gravel and marbles downhill until I get to pavement. Learning curve. Low center of gravity and significant mass on the ST makes very low speed maneuvering easier. Stay off the front brake. Gentle steering inputs. Keep it vertical. Counter steer. Think ahead. Watch your footing. Dismount and manhandle it around in tight spaces as necessary. Easy enough to create a hard pack space in front of your garage? to be able to make the turnaround. (Wet plywood is slippery as sh**. Don't recommend it as a base.)

Suspension? Still farkling and getting settled. New tires in a few weeks. Will diddle with the settings then.

Windscreen? Would rather a low window that I don't have to look through, (like the OEM on the ST11). Spent an afternoon doing some cardboard and duct tape modifications to the existing window and like the results of adding a flip. Not finding a lot of options in that configuration currently available. If I had a bigger oven I'd be tempted to brew my own.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
(Wet plywood is slippery as sh**. Don't recommend it as a base.)
There are a bunch of No skid coatings that one could apply.

Better build a small lazy Susan in the middle where the center stand would land. Then he could just spin the bike around...

He does not have to pave the whole driveway just make a minimum 8ft x 8ft porch to park the bike. even just use paver stones

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Such great response from this community!

I'll see if I can respond in kind:
Norm: completely hear you on the difference in how the weight is carried. My Tiger has 22 litres of fuel 3+ ft off the ground. The lowest possible stock seat height is 33 inches. It's gone if it gets much past vertical as the CG is so high.

We did try an '07 ST. Rode it out of the dealers lot two-up. Never been on one before. I was quite stunned at how light it felt once underway, actually felt more nimble than my Tiger.

Pmatulew and Spiderman302: I'm thinking that I can make the slope work to my advantage if I move the other vehicles around a bit though I do like the idea of a hard packed base for turning. Will investigate that a bit more.

For what it's worth, my partner told me last night that of all the bikes we've ridden together she like the ST the most. I also like it the most :)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I'm an old munchkin... 67 yo, 5'6", 26" inseam, 27" if I'm wearing good boots. The ST is a barge lol. When backing it up on anything but a level surface, I have to get off, put one hand on the seat and 1 on the bars and push. When lifting it off the sidestand I often use a 1" block under the stand to make it easier, or if my wife is along I tell her to "lean right" tipping it that direction until I get it straight up,...when putting it on the centerstand.. well I usually don't. Just too hard, even though I know " the technique" have used it for 50 years, and had no issues getting any of my other bikes on their centerstands. That being said, once rolling at anything more than a walking speed the bike is super easy to control. It " rides" a lot lighter than it is, and handles quite well. The weight becomes an asset out on the road, making the bike feel super stable. 8 years and 96,000 miles after picking it up at the dealership, there is no other bike I would rather ride. Yep, it's a barge, but if Honda was still making them I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Love my ST.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Such great response from this community!

I'll see if I can respond in kind:
Norm: completely hear you on the difference in how the weight is carried. My Tiger has 22 litres of fuel 3+ ft off the ground. The lowest possible stock seat height is 33 inches. It's gone if it gets much past vertical as the CG is so high.

We did try an '07 ST. Rode it out of the dealers lot two-up. Never been on one before. I was quite stunned at how light it felt once underway, actually felt more nimble than my Tiger.

Pmatulew and Spiderman302: I'm thinking that I can make the slope work to my advantage if I move the other vehicles around a bit though I do like the idea of a hard packed base for turning. Will investigate that a bit more.

For what it's worth, my partner told me last night that of all the bikes we've ridden together she like the ST the most. I also like it the most :)

A bit of googling has turned up this product: http://www.polypavement.com/index.php Looks fascinating!

Top Bottom